Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Will do. Cheers  :)

seafoid

Mao's great famine by Frank Dikotter, about the Great Leap Forward than caused 60 million deaths in China.

T Fearon

I see big Donaghy is releasing his autobiography in October,entitled "What do you think of that?"

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on August 09, 2016, 09:45:12 PM
I see big Donaghy is releasing his autobiography in October,entitled "What do you think of that?"

Brendan or Plunkett?

T Fearon

FFs Kieran! ;D Plunkett is long forgotten ;D

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on August 09, 2016, 10:50:29 PM
FFs Kieran! ;D Plunkett is long forgotten ;D

How could anyone forget big Plunkett?

LeoMc

Who would you want covering your back, Joe Pike, Hawk, Windsor Horne Lockwood, III or jack Reacher?

mrdeeds

Quote from: LeoMc on August 21, 2016, 10:47:44 PM
Who would you want covering your back, Joe Pike, Hawk, Windsor Horne Lockwood, III or jack Reacher?

Harry Hole

Tony Baloney

I'll see your Joe Pike and raise with Clete Purcel from the Dave Robicheaux series.

ONeill

The North Water by Ian McGuire. A dark book. You'll never go killing whales again.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

LeoMc

Quote from: mrdeeds on August 21, 2016, 10:51:03 PM

Harry Hole
Harry never struck me as the same sort of kick ass character though I have only read a few of Nesbos books. I thought he was more of a Harry Bosch, Rebus style maverick.
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 21, 2016, 11:49:47 PM
I'll see your Joe Pike and raise with Clete Purcel from the Dave Robicheaux series.

Not familiar with tjem ,are tjebooks themselves any good?

manfromdelmonte

Reading 'War of the Roses' trilogy by Conn Iggulden

Tony Baloney

Quote from: LeoMc on August 22, 2016, 09:25:46 AM

Harry Hole
Harry never struck me as the same sort of kick ass character though I have only read a few of Nesbos books. I thought he was more of a Harry Bosch, Rebus style maverick.

Yes they are very good if you are into Harry Bosch, Elvis Cole etc. James Lee Burke.

Billys Boots

Read a fantastic book on my holidays: 'The Debt to Pleasure' by John Lanchester (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M4403SE?_encoding=UTF8&isInIframe=1&n=341677031&ref_=dp_proddesc_0&s=digital-text&showDetailProductDesc=1#iframe-wrapper). 

I really pissed off my family I laughed so much - it's the story of Tarquin Winot in his own words, interspersed with a seasonal cookbook (of actual recipes).  Tarquin is a food-obsessed snob, and as we progress, we find out also that he is a psychopathic murderer, among other things.  As I read back, it isn't much of a review, but I haven't read anything as funny in many, many years.  Highly recommended - 'The Talented Mr. Ripley' meets Delia Smith.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 22, 2016, 10:13:46 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on August 22, 2016, 09:25:46 AM

Harry Hole

Yes they are very good if you are into Harry Bosch, Elvis Cole etc. James Lee Burke.

Very atmospheric books. I love books that give a sense of the place, and you can nearly smell the Cajun cooking when you read a Jame Lee Burke book. Makes me want to go to Louisiana.