Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: stiffler on September 10, 2007, 10:28:51 PM
Im not sure who wrote it, but Round Ireland with a Fridge is a great read. Its been out a while now, should be easy to pick up in paperback.

Tony Hawkes I think. Very funny book, McCarthy's Bar is good but too much in the way of gushing adoration of everything Irish. Hawkes had only been to Ireland once before the Fridge trip (he was drunk and lost a bet!!) and didn't particularly like it here. Makes the book even better.

Someone mentioned Rubicon...excellent book and likewise I have Persia sitting wiating to be read for ages. Stuck in a rut at the moment of starting books and getting nowhere.

For quick funny essays I recommend Clarksons compilations and alsoTom Humphries' books.
MWWSI 2017

stephenite

If you're interested in politics I'd recommend the Blair Years by Alastair Campbell. You might despise Campbell but it's written very well in a diary format so is quite snappy and fast moving and is very insightful - some great anecdotes and NI and the peace process features heavily.
You have to remember that it's written by the original Spin Doctor, so I'm not taking everything as gospel but thoroughly enjoyable read

Puckoon

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 10, 2007, 11:42:19 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 10, 2007, 10:46:49 PM
McCarthy's Bar - I've read that - it was ok. Met the man himself in my local a few years back.

The name of the local - McCarthy's of course  :D :D

Yeah great book,I read another book by him can't think of the name right now..
Unfortunately he died a few years back,he was a great writer
the road to mccarthy?

bennydorano

Recently read 'A monk Swimming' and the follow-up 'Singing my him song', both autobriographical accounts of Malachy McCourt's life(Frank's bro), very very entertaining.

shezam

Lance Armstrong - It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life

Dangleberrys

Have read a few books on the 'Templars' by Steve Berry, excellent stuff, part fiction part fact.  Anybody know any other good ones on the templars?
Also, want to read up on Stalin and Che Quevara so if anybody knows good starting points that would be great....

Dangleberrys

longball

Quote from: The Forfeit Point on September 10, 2007, 11:37:03 PM
Quote from: 5iveTimes on September 10, 2007, 01:46:28 PM
Finished Jack O`Connors book, Keys to the Kingdom recently. Very good book even if he does feel that the whole world is against him. Great insight into some of the players and what they go through.
Also bought "The GAA Book of Lists" which has some interesting facts and figures. Certainly well worth a tenner of anyones money.

i have that aswell by Eoghan Corry, i really enjoyed it especially reading about the competitions that no longer exist such as the World Cup  :D

have book of lists as well- Dennis Taylor used to play minor ball for Tyrone  :o
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

longball

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 10, 2007, 04:22:13 PM
Just started reading Peter Kays autobiography, only 2 chapters in, very funny so far...

enjoyed the read myself Croí very funny all the way tru

longball

Quote from: 5iveTimes on September 13, 2007, 12:51:20 PM
Quote from: longball on September 13, 2007, 12:10:40 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 10, 2007, 04:22:13 PM
Just started reading Peter Kays autobiography, only 2 chapters in, very funny so far...

enjoyed the read myself Croí very funny all the way tru

The book was very funny, but it was also very perdictable. It was like one of his stand up routines, funny the first time you heard it but he does tend to do the same stuff over and over again.

yea, thought if u had seen his standup a lot has appeared in his book! was good read. has ne1 read chris moyles book dunno if id fancy it.

Croí na hÉireann

U can see some of the gags coming alright, still gets a chuckle when they arrive all the same...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Pietas

By far the best novel I have read this year, and i have gone through a few, is Q and A by Vikas Swarup.

It's about an Indian waiter who wins their version of who wants to be a millionaire.

It's a wonderful read with a great twist in the end.

It pisses all over anything that McCarthy bloke wrote.  In fact, it pisses all over most of the novels and biographies knocking about at the moment.
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

easytiger

Just in the middle of "Half A Yellow Sun" a novel set in the Nigerian Civil war of the late sixties - brilliant so far, but harrowing as well at times.

Finished "Custer and Crazy Horse" a parallel history of the two warriors who met at Little Big Horn, by Steven Ambrose, the same guy who wrote "Band of Brothers" - really interesting and the comparisons between the two and the societies they represented are fascinating.

I'd recommend anything by Anthony Beevor - but "The Spanish Civil War" and "Stalingrad" are my favourites.

And finally, probaly the best work of fiction I've read in the last five years is "Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell. You won't regret reading it.

SidelineKick

Quote from: longball on September 13, 2007, 01:26:26 PM

yea, thought if u had seen his standup a lot has appeared in his book! was good read. has ne1 read chris moyles book dunno if id fancy it.

i think it wud be great! u not like him? or maybe he'd be a bit much to listen to for a whole book!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Billys Boots

QuoteAnthony Beevor ... "The Spanish Civil War"

As if by magic, again, that's what I'm reading at the moment - very good indeed.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...