Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 18, 2016, 01:11:50 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on January 18, 2016, 12:40:47 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 26, 2015, 10:29:20 PM
Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman

A Russian view of WW2
If you enjoyed that one you might enjoy is The Fleet That Had To Die by Richard Hough. It is the the story of the Russian Baltic fleet traveling from St Petersburg to support the Pacific fleet during the Russo-Japanese war in 1905.  A nice easy read.
Stalingrad by Antony Beevor is the daddy of these books for me. Really gets across how a hell on Earth it was.
Bloodlands for me. Goes into what Ukraine suffered 33 to 45. Famine. Great terror.genocide. ,life under Stalin and that was just for civilians.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: seafoid on January 18, 2016, 01:16:01 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 18, 2016, 01:11:50 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on January 18, 2016, 12:40:47 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 26, 2015, 10:29:20 PM
Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman

A Russian view of WW2
If you enjoyed that one you might enjoy is The Fleet That Had To Die by Richard Hough. It is the the story of the Russian Baltic fleet traveling from St Petersburg to support the Pacific fleet during the Russo-Japanese war in 1905.  A nice easy read.
Stalingrad by Antony Beevor is the daddy of these books for me. Really gets across how a hell on Earth it was.
Bloodlands for me. Goes into what Ukraine suffered 33 to 45. Famine. Great terror.genocide. ,life under Stalin and that was just for civilians.
Cheers. Will see if the missus has it in her collection.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Longshanks on January 18, 2016, 10:37:04 AM
Just out of interest what are people using these days? are most people reading from kindles etc.. or normal books. I tried the kindle myself but soon could bored with it and went back to the normal book as just felt it was better for some unknown reason.
I would be the same, I have tried the kindle app for the Ipad, but much prefer an actual book, I couldn't really say why.
Although lately I have been listening to a good few audiobooks for the commute to work
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

pullhard

A man called Ove is a good read

Jell 0 Biafra

I still read physical books , but am coming to prefer the kindle/phone app.  It's very handy to find something you want to refer back to from earlier in the book (like a character that was introduced 100 pages ago that you'd forgotten about, who's suddenly reintroduced, or a twist that sends you back to reevaluate an earlier passage).  It's also really handy for looking up words you don't know.  No getting off your backside to get the dictionary off the shelf, just touch the word, and there's your definition.   There are 6 full bookcases in my house (and more at the office), so I'm also enjoying the fact that storage is handier.

Footnotes can be a bit of a pain though.  They're not always properly linked, and even if they are, it can be fussy to touch the right part of the screen to bring you back to the part of the text you were reading.

Tony Baloney

You cant really compare reading via the Kindle app on a tablet to reading on the e-ink Kindle. Screen brightness and glare on the average tablet is not conducive to a heavy reading session.

BennyCake

McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy.

Fantastic read.

seafoid

Hopscotch by Hilary Fannin. Super book

charlieTully

Women by Charles bukowski. Hilarious.

seafoid

In a Different Voice: Psychological Theory and Women's Development by Carol Gilligan.
Fascinating

The Subbie

Robert B. Baer

The Perfect Kill: 21 Laws for Assassins

very good read so far.

pullhard

Fancy reading a book about Grifters/Con man, in the same vein as The Hustle / Oceans 11.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 18, 2016, 04:54:59 PM
You cant really compare reading via the Kindle app on a tablet to reading on the e-ink Kindle. Screen brightness and glare on the average tablet is not conducive to a heavy reading session.

Just adjust the brightness on the tablet, or change the background page colour to black or grey.

LeoMc

Quote from: pullhard on January 19, 2016, 09:15:49 AM
Fancy reading a book about Grifters/Con man, in the same vein as The Hustle / Oceans 11.
Did you ever read the old Simon Templar books?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on January 18, 2016, 07:05:12 PM
McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy.

Fantastic read.

Read both of them... First one  is a fantastic read
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea