Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Harry rides again, Harry Bosch that is. In retirement the itch strikes and  he teams up with his half brother, Matthew McConaughey, to investigate a case, in The Crossing  nr 22 in the series.
After 30 minutes and it's as comfortable as a pair of old shoes.
Maybe he'll finally  crack a joke in this book.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on November 25, 2015, 08:50:33 PM
Harry rides again, Harry Bosch that is. In retirement the itch strikes and  he teams up with his half brother, Matthew McConaughey, to investigate a case, in The Crossing  nr 22 in the series.
I think it's my favourite series. Have held off buying it to let the missus do the right thing at Christmas. Like Rebus, retirement doesn't stop these lads.

seafoid

Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman

A Russian view of WW2

Main Street

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 25, 2015, 10:44:54 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 25, 2015, 08:50:33 PM
I think it's my favourite series. Have held off buying it to let the missus do the right thing at Christmas. Like Rebus, retirement doesn't stop these lads.
In that genre,  the Harry Bosch series  is my favourite, though it took me some time to warm to the obsessive.
Everyone matters or no one does.

Newbridge Exile

I would highly recommend the John Connolly "Charlie Parker" Novels , they are a cross between detective & supernatural genres

Tony Baloney

Any recommendations from any books received at Christmas?

Minder

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on November 28, 2015, 09:32:28 AM
I would highly recommend the John Connolly "Charlie Parker" Novels , they are a cross between detective & supernatural genres

Yeah I had those recommended to me the other day
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ziggy90

Quote from: seafoid on November 26, 2015, 10:29:20 PM

A Russian view of WW2

Read that a while ago. Pretty mundane I thought?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

manfromdelmonte

Currently reading through the Saxon Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell

good stuff
I like historical fiction

Longshanks

Just out of interest what are people using these days? are most people reading from kindles etc.. or normal books. I tried the kindle myself but soon could bored with it and went back to the normal book as just felt it was better for some unknown reason.

Hardy

Both.

Marshall McLuhan was wrong.

I rarely use the Kindle device - use the phone app.

Milltown Row2

Just finished Gary Neville's book... decent insight into that team he played on and the England set up... no shocks or any other made up stuff to create an interest in sales ... dedicated professional who, by his owns words was blessed to be given a chance to play at the top
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Books 100% at the minute as they were Christmas presents. Will revert back to Kindle when these are read. Hard to beat having almost instant access to any book plus the Kindle editions are usually cheaper. I still have the first version of the Kindle though and would like the backlit unit.

LeoMc

A Russian view of WW2
If you enjoyed that one you might enjoy is The Fleet That Had To Die by Richard Hough. It is the the story of the Russian Baltic fleet traveling from St Petersburg to support the Pacific fleet during the Russo-Japanese war in 1905.  A nice easy read.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: LeoMc on January 18, 2016, 12:40:47 PM

A Russian view of WW2
If you enjoyed that one you might enjoy is The Fleet That Had To Die by Richard Hough. It is the the story of the Russian Baltic fleet traveling from St Petersburg to support the Pacific fleet during the Russo-Japanese war in 1905.  A nice easy read.
Stalingrad by Antony Beevor is the daddy of these books for me. Really gets across how a hell on Earth it was.