Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: ONeill on July 01, 2015, 11:31:41 PM
Need a few ideas for summer reading. Real dark depressing shite. Like a modern Jude the Obscure or Poe.

2666 by Roberto Bolano should keep you going for a while, very dark and very long, just the 900 odd pages.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Hardy on July 02, 2015, 12:45:54 PM
Need a few ideas for summer reading. Real dark depressing shite. Like a modern Jude the Obscure or Poe.

Dracula, Frankenstein, Fahrenheit 451, Anything by Joseph Conrad, Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks.
Or, if they're all a bit too frivolous:

Edit: Sorry. Joseph Conrad never wrote anything called "Anything". I meant anything by Joseph Conrad.

I actually got a shiver down my spine when I saw that picture...  The memories!
Hasta la victoria siempre

The Iceman

Finished Armagh man; Stuart Neville's "Stolen Souls"
Its book 3 in a series that started with The Twelve/Ghosts of Belfast, Collusion and now this offering.
Set in an around Belfast this one is as gripping as the others. Great work.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Canalman

Name of the Rose is an excellent novel (and film). Macabre and moody .

CD

Quote from: Canalman on July 22, 2015, 05:25:17 PM

Name of the Rose is an excellent novel (and film). Macabre and moody .
The Terror by Dan Simmons - brilliant fictional account of the ill fated Franklin Expedition. Great read. Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake is very dark and depressing! Fantastic writing though. Just finished The Son by Philipp Meyer - not a bundle of laughs but an excellent piece of work.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Canalman

Just finished a biography of Joseph Kennedy Snr (JFK's dad) by a guy called Schwarz.
Much more ahem! interesting and complex character than his sons. Some operator in making money.

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

ONeill

Finished Red Or Dead about Bill Shankly. It'll either drive you nuts or enthral you.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Main Street

Quote from: ONeill on November 05, 2015, 10:45:54 PM
Finished Red Or Dead about Bill Shankly. It'll either drive you nuts or enthral you.
Congrats on finishing a book.  A review is about your opinion of the book, not a cowardly, non-committal sit on the fence revue, prophesying how other people might react to it.
Keyboard warrior syndrome  ::)

ONeill

Good man.

Personal wordy reviews bore the feck out of me. What do I care if you like choc-mint ice-cream.

Do your own research.

I liked it. I liked it a lot. Many words. No pics.

ONeill

That's more like it. How'd you like the mise-en-scene and cinematography of it, like?

Main Street

I ran out of light weight  audio books and turned to the mammoth The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksander Solzhenitsyn,  about 74 audio hours. I thought I had read all Solzhenitsyn's books when I was a teenager  but somehow this one remained totally offside in my consciousness.
This is not a novel as such like a Day in the life of Ivan D or Cancer Ward  but a comprehensive, evidenced based account of the scourge of communism in Russia until the mid 1960's  with most of it about life in the gulags. Apart from the historical and social value, the book achieved the impossible by being an astonishing enthralling read as well.

ONeill

Just finished Satin Island by Tam McCarthy. Mad like. Burn After Reading Mark 2.

Keyboard Warrior

Any good audio books to suggest? Does a good book necessarily mean a good audio book?

And after all that; where is best place to download?

Cheers

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on November 18, 2015, 12:54:21 PM
Any good audio books to suggest? Does a good book necessarily mean a good audio book?

And after all that; where is best place to download?

Cheers

The one above I actually listen too as an audiobook.
Legacy by james kerr is also good as an audiobook.

There is also a trilogy of Cormac McCarthy books read by brad Pitt which are excellent
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either