Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 24, 2015, 07:22:13 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 24, 2015, 03:59:27 PM
I've just finished reading 'Look who's Back' by Timur Vermes, a book, translated from German, about Hitler suddenly waking up in modern day Berlin. It's a biting satire on political/media/celebrity culture, an interesting concept and read.

Thanks Harold, will certainly give that a go.

The cover is very clever.

[http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mTGTAIaxL.jpg][/img]

5 Sams

Voices from the back of the Bus. Stewart McKinney. V good.
The Aristocrat Years

Main Street

I finally got round to listening to Night by Elie Wiesel, narrated to perfection by George Guidall. It's a compact account with not a superfluos word, about a father and son's journey into the night of the holocaust, joined together in an unbreakable bond of love but the night did finally break the bond of that most fundamental of human relationships.

I was reminded of The Road by Cormac McCarthy,  even though the journey on the Road was a playground adventure compared to the Night. I suppose it was just the father son thing.

CiKe

Rivera of Time by John Swain.

Memoir of a war reporter in 70's Indochina. Beautifully written, it evokes all the horrors and brutality of Vietnam and the Khmer Rouge but also makes you understand how he fell in love with the region in spite of this.

CD

Quote from: OnTheLine on March 22, 2015, 09:55:04 AM
Quote from: CD on March 19, 2015, 06:26:55 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 19, 2015, 09:48:10 AM
I have started with audiobooks recently myself, as i have quite a lengthy comute to work, so they are great for that.
I have only listened to a couple of non fiction type ones so far,Outliers by malcom galdwell & the undercover economist by tim harford, (both of which were interesting listens)
im not sure i would like a novel read by someone else, but gonna give it a go.
The next one i have lined up is Cormac Mccarthys 'Border trilogy' read by Brad Pit, so hoping that will be good.
I read the trilogy a couple of years back and would certainly rank them among the modern American classics. Three absolutely beautiful books - the kind of books that had me rereading whole passages just because they were so good! If you like these I'd recommend Lonesome Dove, Riders of the Purple Sage and the Virginian!
As a big fan of Cormac McCarthy, I'd agree and throw in another recent one - 'The Son' by Philipp Meyer. This was my first book of 2015, 13 books later and, although some have been close, it's still my book of the year so far...
Thanks for the Philipp Meyer recommendation- started on American Rust. Half way through and loving it so far. I have The Son sitting ready to go next. Very much in the line of Cormac McCarthy with a hint of John Irving.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

OnTheLine

Quote from: CD on April 18, 2015, 08:28:43 PM
Quote from: OnTheLine on March 22, 2015, 09:55:04 AM
Quote from: CD on March 19, 2015, 06:26:55 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 19, 2015, 09:48:10 AM
I have started with audiobooks recently myself, as i have quite a lengthy comute to work, so they are great for that.
I have only listened to a couple of non fiction type ones so far,Outliers by malcom galdwell & the undercover economist by tim harford, (both of which were interesting listens)
im not sure i would like a novel read by someone else, but gonna give it a go.
The next one i have lined up is Cormac Mccarthys 'Border trilogy' read by Brad Pit, so hoping that will be good.
I read the trilogy a couple of years back and would certainly rank them among the modern American classics. Three absolutely beautiful books - the kind of books that had me rereading whole passages just because they were so good! If you like these I'd recommend Lonesome Dove, Riders of the Purple Sage and the Virginian!
As a big fan of Cormac McCarthy, I'd agree and throw in another recent one - 'The Son' by Philipp Meyer. This was my first book of 2015, 13 books later and, although some have been close, it's still my book of the year so far...
Thanks for the Philipp Meyer recommendation- started on American Rust. Half way through and loving it so far. I have The Son sitting ready to go next. Very much in the line of Cormac McCarthy with a hint of John Irving.
No problem - he was a great find for me so glad others are liking his stuff too. I have American Rust lined up for next.. and Larry McMurtry's latest, The Last Kind Words Saloon (about Wyatt Earp & Doc Holliday) for after that. It's been a few years since I went through my Cormac McCarthy phase, so I'm looking forward to these a lot..

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 24, 2015, 11:57:40 AM
They're ok. Bosch is better. And Spenser, by Robert B Parker, is the benchmark for all of them as far as I am concerned.
Have you tried Vince Flynn (Mitch Rapp series)?
Similar vein, and very good I thought.

AZOffaly

I haven't. By coincidence I have an Audible Credit to spend so I might get one now.

Billys Boots

I've just finished reading 'Look who's Back' by Timur Vermes, a book, translated from German, about Hitler suddenly waking up in modern day Berlin. It's a biting satire on political/media/celebrity culture, an interesting concept and read.

Finished it over the weekend, Harold - thanks for the tip.  Really enjoyed it - very funny satire on modern life.  I particularly enjoyed the rant about how crap political parties were nowadays, apart from the Greens.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

StephenC

Reading: Toll the Hounds (Book 8 of the Malazan Books of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson).
Listening: The Way of Kings (Book 1 of the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson).
Watching: Game of Thrones.

Very much in a Fantasy zone at the moment.  ;D

All are excellent.

heffo

Quote from: Hound on April 20, 2015, 09:07:49 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 24, 2015, 11:57:40 AM
They're ok. Bosch is better. And Spenser, by Robert B Parker, is the benchmark for all of them as far as I am concerned.
Have you tried Vince Flynn (Mitch Rapp series)?
Similar vein, and very good I thought.

They're a decent series alright and easy to read - very formulaic though.

Also the whole theme of 'I don't care how muslims I kill if it potentially saves one American life' graits a bit

AZOffaly

Almost finished the Mitch Rapp first book now. It's not at all like Spenser I have to say. Spenser is way more wise cracking and a real pulp fiction kind of PI. Of course the Rapp series may develop more in the next books, but at the moment he seems more like a Jack Reacher character than a Spenser character.

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 28, 2015, 09:33:09 AM

Finished it over the weekend, Harold - thanks for the tip.  Really enjoyed it - very funny satire on modern life.  I particularly enjoyed the rant about how crap political parties were nowadays, apart from the Greens.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Recently read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, not bad but the ending is a tad disappointing, I haven't seen the film, maybe it's better?

Currently reading Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada, outstanding so far. Next up are The Lady from Zagreb, the latest Bernie Gunther from Philip Kerr and Dead Girl Walking by Chris Brookmyre.

Billys Boots

I'm reading 'The Caveman' by Jorn Lier Horst - he has a very well written series of nordic crime novels featuring William Wisting a Norwegian detective.  This is the 4th translated into English - if you like readin in order, start with 'Dregs'.  Highly recommended. 

Bernie Gunther's next.  :)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Harold Disgracey

I'll check him out, thanks for the recommendations.