Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: Main Street on March 18, 2015, 01:23:37 PM
The book 'Alone in Berlin' by Hans Fallada  http://www.spiked-online.com/review_of_books/article/10472 has already been lauded here  It's a masterpiece which tells of ordinary folk, Anna and Otto and their journey from loyal followers of Hitler (at least Otto) to a dogged spirited revolt against the Nazi state.
Enjoyed that one myself.

OnTheLine

Quote from: CD on March 19, 2015, 06:26:55 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 19, 2015, 09:48:10 AM
I have started with audiobooks recently myself, as i have quite a lengthy comute to work, so they are great for that.
I have only listened to a couple of non fiction type ones so far,Outliers by malcom galdwell & the undercover economist by tim harford, (both of which were interesting listens)
im not sure i would like a novel read by someone else, but gonna give it a go.
The next one i have lined up is Cormac Mccarthys 'Border trilogy' read by Brad Pit, so hoping that will be good.
I read the trilogy a couple of years back and would certainly rank them among the modern American classics. Three absolutely beautiful books - the kind of books that had me rereading whole passages just because they were so good! If you like these I'd recommend Lonesome Dove, Riders of the Purple Sage and the Virginian!
As a big fan of Cormac McCarthy, I'd agree and throw in another recent one - 'The Son' by Philipp Meyer. This was my first book of 2015, 13 books later and, although some have been close, it's still my book of the year so far...

LeoMc

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 12, 2015, 09:06:52 AM
On a slight tangent, does anybody else do this? When I'm reading, or listening to one of those Bosch, Bennett, Spenser, Bolitor etc, books I like to go into Google Earth and pick out the locations they are talking about. Then I go into street view and have a look around. Sad I know, but I enjoy it :)

You don't be long learning about the LA freeway system layout with those Connolly books.

ardchieftain

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on March 21, 2015, 07:58:56 AM
The three series I have been reading the past month- The Remaining by DJ Molles- great series, on the 5th book. A disease takes hold of the US and puts infected in a zombie state(infected). Great series and can't wait for the sixth book. Supposedly DJ is putting out 8-9 books in the series.
http://www.goodreads.com/series/85391-the-remaining

Bernard Cornwell , The Warrior Chronicles/Saxon Stories- on the third book and it gets better with each book. Seven books in total maybe another 1-2 afterwards but a great read. Also look at his other series http://www.bernardcornwell.net/books-by-bernard-cornwell/.

Edward Rutherfurd....Princes of Ireland. There is suppose to be three more in the series and the first one was fantastic.
http://edwardrutherfurd.com/princes-of-ireland

The Cornwell books are very good. The Rutherford books sound ideal for me, will get stuck into those when time allows.

AZOffaly

Quote from: LeoMc on March 23, 2015, 10:33:31 AM
On a slight tangent, does anybody else do this? When I'm reading, or listening to one of those Bosch, Bennett, Spenser, Bolitor etc, books I like to go into Google Earth and pick out the locations they are talking about. Then I go into street view and have a look around. Sad I know, but I enjoy it :)

You don't be long learning about the LA freeway system layout with those Connolly books.

And John Patterson's Michael Bennett's are great for Manhattan and New York generally. He is so precise with his locations, you can trace car chases, or foot chases exactly.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 23, 2015, 03:29:39 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on March 23, 2015, 10:33:31 AM

And John Patterson's Michael Bennett's are great for Manhattan and New York generally. He is so precise with his locations, you can trace car chases, or foot chases exactly.
Bennett novels good? I have read one or two but gave up on the James Patterson fiction factory a few years ago after reading a few that were real writing by numbers jobs.

AZOffaly

They're ok. Bosch is better. And Spenser, by Robert B Parker, is the benchmark for all of them as far as I am concerned.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 24, 2015, 11:57:40 AM
They're ok. Bosch is better. And Spenser, by Robert B Parker, is the benchmark for all of them as far as I am concerned.
Cheers, will check these out.

Reading a Reacher at the minute and they are getting a bit tired imo.

AZOffaly

I envy you if you're just starting out on Spenser.

Rois

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 24, 2015, 01:57:31 PM

I'm on book 18...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rois on March 24, 2015, 02:09:47 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 24, 2015, 01:57:31 PM

I'm on book 18...
What's it about? In the one I am reading he is chasing down a sniper(s) in Paris and London. It's actually okay but there have been a few duds along the way (I think I have read them all in some sense of order to date).

Rois

Yeah I am reading in order so I must be nearing the end soon. 

I'm just starting this one, Reacher has just beat up two army guys.  He's going to meet up with the MP girl that he spoke to on the phone in one of the previous novels. 

Harold Disgracey

I've just finished reading 'Look who's Back' by Timur Vermes, a book, translated from German, about Hitler suddenly waking up in modern day Berlin. It's a biting satire on political/media/celebrity culture, an interesting concept and read.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 24, 2015, 03:59:27 PM
I've just finished reading 'Look who's Back' by Timur Vermes, a book, translated from German, about Hitler suddenly waking up in modern day Berlin. It's a biting satire on political/media/celebrity culture, an interesting concept and read.

Thanks Harold, will certainly give that a go.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rois on March 24, 2015, 02:31:38 PM
Yeah I am reading in order so I must be nearing the end soon. 

I'm just starting this one, Reacher has just beat up two army guys.  He's going to meet up with the MP girl that he spoke to on the phone in one of the previous novels.
Never Go Back. I'm on Personal the one ahead of that and I think the latest.