Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 27, 2014, 08:38:19 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 27, 2014, 08:35:00 PM
Quote from: CD on April 27, 2014, 07:43:33 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 27, 2014, 07:24:37 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2014, 12:45:45 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on April 10, 2014, 11:53:25 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2014, 11:38:58 AM
Off on hols over Easter, would like a couple of books for the trip.

Looking for a thriller type same vain as Dragon tattoo books, decent dective type. or best bio book

The Harry Hole books by Jo Nesbo are excellent.

Order placed, thanks

Read the first two on holidays, great books, I've placed an order for the next 3. Like the character, fcuk he's had a hard life
Just finished The Devil's Star - very enjoyable series alright. There's an American crime writer called James Lee Burke who'd I'd strongly recommend. His central character, Dave Robicheaux would give Harry Hole a run for his money!

Was just about to post this, have downloaded the whole Dave Robicheaux series and put them on the kindle, came highly recommended by Tony Baloney. Half way through the first one, The Neon Rain, and it is excellent.

Do youse fckers ever buy anything?

Why pay when it is free ?!
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on April 27, 2014, 08:41:36 PM

Looking for a thriller type same vain as Dragon tattoo books, decent dective type. or best bio book

Order placed, thanks

Read the first two on holidays, great books, I've placed an order for the next 3. Like the character, fcuk he's had a hard life
Just finished The Devil's Star - very enjoyable series alright. There's an American crime writer called James Lee Burke who'd I'd strongly recommend. His central character, Dave Robicheaux would give Harry Hole a run for his money!

Was just about to post this, have downloaded the whole Dave Robicheaux series and put them on the kindle, came highly recommended by Tony Baloney. Half way through the first one, The Neon Rain, and it is excellent.

Legally free?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 27, 2014, 08:45:09 PM

Order placed, thanks

Legally free?
Terrible abuse of copyright by these feckers putting stuff on the internet.

The Dave Robicheaux books are set around Iberia, La. which was the same area in True Detective.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 27, 2014, 11:17:49 PM

Order placed, thanks

Legally free?

The Dave Robicheaux books are set around Iberia, La. which was the same area in True Detective.

Must check out James Lee Burke novels. Currently reading Jussi Adler-Olsen's Q Department books. On 2nd novel. Enjoyed first one. Danish crime series.

If per say a Cavan man wanted these novels on their Kindle would there be any website to check out or a way of doing it?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mrdeeds on April 30, 2014, 04:58:52 PM

Order placed, thanks

Legally free?

Must check out James Lee Burke novels. Currently reading Jussi Adler-Olsen's Q Department books. On 2nd novel. Enjoyed first one. Danish crime series.

If per say a Cavan man wanted these novels on their Kindle would there be any website to check out or a way of doing it?
Just finished the second Carl Mørck novel. Found them good enough but in comparison to others of the genre, I would say if a non -Scandi author penned these I would say there were average enough.

Minder

Quote from: mrdeeds on April 30, 2014, 04:58:52 PM

Order placed, thanks

Legally free?

I might still have the torrent file, with all the books on it,on my laptop, I will check later
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

andoireabu

Bit of advice needed.  I'v been learning Irish on and off for a while and was wondering if there would be any basic level story books around to help a bit.  I have a teach yourself book but it gets a bit boring and want something new to try.  Preferably on the Kindle but books are grand too.  Cheers.

Also just finished reading Shantaram and thought it was really good.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Under Lights

Big talk of a new Harry Potter book in progress. JK Rowlings Pottermore website crashed the other day as she published a new short publishing.

The Subbie

Currently reading a biography on Frank Aiken, a very interesting character was Mr Aiken.

How he transitioned from IRA leader in the tan war, one time IRA chief of staff at the end of the civil war to hob nobbing around the UN with Conor Cruise O'Brien always fascinated me.

Himself and CJH were not the best of friends at all,Aiken left FF as a result of CJH getting a cabinet position in Jack Lynchs govt, never knew that.

Good book so far, heavy going though.

Canalman

Just finished Eamon Dunphy's autobiography . Good enough read even though alot of it was covered in the first book he wrote about his Millwall days.
Puts the boot in to quiet a few people and one journalist in particular which surprised me.

Halfway through a biography of James Joyce (haven't read most of his stuff). For want of a better word an interesting/ odd character. Never knew before that he liked the drink alot.

Might give Ulysses a go now.

ONeill

To Rise Again at a Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris

Funny. Dentist. Jews. Identity theft.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Canalman on July 24, 2014, 01:14:03 PM
Just finished Eamon Dunphy's autobiography . Good enough read even though alot of it was covered in the first book he wrote about his Millwall days.
Puts the boot in to quiet a few people and one journalist in particular which surprised me.

Halfway through a biography of James Joyce (haven't read most of his stuff). For want of a better word an interesting/ odd character. Never knew before that he liked the drink alot.

Might give Ulysses a go now.

Which journalist was Eamo getting stuck into?

Give Ulysses a skip. Life's too short.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: andoireabu on June 07, 2014, 05:17:22 PM
Bit of advice needed.  I'v been learning Irish on and off for a while and was wondering if there would be any basic level story books around to help a bit.  I have a teach yourself book but it gets a bit boring and want something new to try.  Preferably on the Kindle but books are grand too.  Cheers.

Also just finished reading Shantaram and thought it was really good.

Sorry andoireabu, only looking at this now. The state of Irish language publishing is cat. We're as well to be honest about that now.

A lot depends on what you mean by basic level - it's kind of general. Like, if your Irish is very basic reading a book at all won't be easy. I have two suggestions though.

The first is Seán Óg de Paor's autobiography, Lá an Phaoraigh. The Irish isn't difficult, the construction is regular and it's all very standard Irish - there's no difficult colloquialisms in there.

The second suggestion is to read a translation of a kid's book. There are three I can think of off the top of my head, but I have to confess I haven't read any of them. The first is the first Harry Potter book, the second is the Hobbit, which came out last year, I think, and the third is a translation of of Treasure Island I saw in the shops recently. As I say, I haven't read any of these translations but being kids' books the vocabulary shouldn't be too difficult. That's the theory, anyway. Go n-éirí leat leo agus leis an teanga.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on August 25, 2014, 08:05:12 PM

Might give it a lash but I didn't like the style of Then We Came to the End.

ONeill

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 25, 2014, 10:27:24 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 25, 2014, 08:05:12 PM

Might give it a lash but I didn't like the style of Then We Came to the End.

Well a sort of similar style but the humour might make up for it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.