Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 14, 2013, 10:59:10 AM
QuoteRead City of Lehane recently. Millers Crossing meets Playboy of the Western World. Quiet good but could have been excellent.

City of Bohane that is ... I feel the same about it.

Thanks for that recommendation Hardy - I suggest, if you haven't seen it already, that you look out for the movie 'The Straight Story'.  Not going to describe or hype it - just give it a go.
Lawnmower Man? a damn good story/film, with the old guy who was in The Grey Fox?

Billys Boots

Quote from: Main Street on October 14, 2013, 08:08:31 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on October 14, 2013, 10:59:10 AM
QuoteRead City of Lehane recently. Millers Crossing meets Playboy of the Western World. Quiet good but could have been excellent.

City of Bohane that is ... I feel the same about it.

Thanks for that recommendation Hardy - I suggest, if you haven't seen it already, that you look out for the movie 'The Straight Story'.  Not going to describe or hype it - just give it a go.
Lawnmower Man? a damn good story/film, with the old guy who was in The Grey Fox?

That's the one alright.  :)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ziggy90

Quote from: Hardy on October 14, 2013, 10:38:48 AM
Quote from: Canalman on October 14, 2013, 10:06:44 AM
Now reading Count of Monte Cristo again for the umpteenth time.

Ah! Read it for the first time this year. A treat.

I'm reading "The Memory Of Running" (which is not a sports book and has nothing to do with running) by Ron McCLarty. It's essentially an American "Road" novel, but a hundred times better than the much-hyped original of the species by Kerouac, which, even when I was a youngster and I was supposed to see it as an anthem for my generation, I thought was self-indulgent, know-nothing, poorly written crap.

This is a beautifully told story about a non-acheiving, overweight, alcoholic social misfit in his forties, a harmless poor craytur we'd call him, who slowly grows up and gradually starts to understand himself as he rides from Rhode Island to Los Angeles on a bike (push variety), not really knowing why he's doing it, but accumulating experiences and insights as he goes.

I was a bit put off by the reviews that seemed to suggest it was mainly liked by women and even after fifty pages I was going to give up on it, as the story wasn't engaging me, but as soon as he hit the road it became compelling. Lovely writing.

Brilliant review of a great book Hardy.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

ziggy90

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 14, 2013, 09:13:18 AM
Quote from: ziggy90 on October 12, 2013, 03:00:14 PM
Anyone reading anything worthwhile? I've just finished The Earth by Emile Zola, fantastic read about country folk in 19th Century France (could be set anywhere). Anyone who liked Jean de Florette will get this.

Thanks ziggy, will give it a look - haven't read any Zola in many years.  Am currently struggling through 'The Stockholm Octavo' - a lesser 'Liaisons Dangereuses' set in Sweden in 1792 - it's alright, not brilliant.  Last brilliant read was 'The Potter's Field (Andrea Camilleri)' - the thirteenth Inspector Montalbano outing, set in Sicily.  Also enjoyed 'Our Lady of Sorrows (Anne Zouroudi)' - the fourth Greek Detective outing, set in the modern day Greek islands.

Got all of those Montalbano books downloaded Billy, looking forward to them (loved the tv adaptations). I'm thinking of heading for Sicily next year for the holidays (inspired by Montalbano).

There's a passage in that Zola book that centres on an incident with a donkey (I defy you not to laugh).

A little tip someone gave me, if you're buying any of these "classic books" always buy the Penguin editions ( their translations and editing are way ahead of their admittedly cheaper rivals).

muppet

Fate is the Hunter

Gann flew as a civilian pilot in the 1930s and 1940s. The book is a brilliantly written account of, not just his career, but of early commercial aviation.
MWWSI 2017

Celt_Man

(Re)Read The Hunt for Red October recently on the Kindle with a view to reading the whole series through but most of the rest of the Jack Ryan books aren't available on Kindle -  especially the older ones

Deadly pain in the hole....
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Billys Boots

Celt Man, I have the first 12 Jack Ryan books as epub (and pdf) files - you can convert them to mobi files yourself if you are interested.  PM me if you want the files. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

mc_grens

Quote from: Celt_Man on October 16, 2013, 10:54:15 PM
(Re)Read The Hunt for Red October recently on the Kindle with a view to reading the whole series through but most of the rest of the Jack Ryan books aren't available on Kindle -  especially the older ones

You should try Red Storm Rising. I reckon it's my favourite Clancy.

LeoMc

Quote from: mc_grens on October 18, 2013, 10:19:52 AM
Quote from: Celt_Man on October 16, 2013, 10:54:15 PM

You should try Red Storm Rising. I reckon it's my favourite Clancy.
The Bear and the Dragon or Without remorse would be mine.

On a separate note I have just read a couple of David Downing books, Zoo station and Silesian station set in Prewar Nazi Germany. Nice easy reads.

mc_grens

On the subject of Nazi Germany I'm reading a book all about WW2 by Anthony Beevor. Good stuff but MEGA long.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mc_grens on October 18, 2013, 01:36:23 PM
On the subject of Nazi Germany I'm reading a book all about WW2 by Anthony Beevor. Good stuff but MEGA long.
His book on Stalingrad is fantastic. An historical account that reads as well as a novel.

Harold Disgracey

Berlin: The Downfall is also excellent.

mc_grens

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 19, 2013, 10:09:52 PM
His book on Stalingrad is fantastic. An historical account that reads as well as a novel.

I'm at the Stalingrad bit of this book at the moment. His account of it is good enough that that book specifically about Stalingrad went on the list straightaway. Have the new Neil Gaiman lined up first as a change of pace though.

Main Street

It would appear that any book about WW2 has to take 1000 pages to describe any skirmish and 10 volumes to cover a siege.
It must be some criteria to establish credibility.
Any way I'm going to start on this one next
<500 pages    but has a nice long title
The Hitler Book: The Secret Dossier Prepared for Stalin from the Interrogations of Otto Guensche and Heinze Linge, Hitler's Closest Personal Aides

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hitler-Book-Prepared-Interrogations/dp/B0085SLMYC

ziggy90

Quote from: mc_grens on October 20, 2013, 11:37:21 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 19, 2013, 10:09:52 PM

I'm at the Stalingrad bit of this book at the moment. His account of it is good enough that that book specifically about Stalingrad went on the list straightaway. Have the new Neil Gaiman lined up first as a change of pace though.

I must try this one, I've read his book on The Spanish Civil War, also very good.