Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 20, 2011, 11:00:49 AM
Just finished 'Mercy' by Jussi Adler-Olsen - fantastic, about a grumpy, disillusioned, depressed, slight-psychotic cop.  Right up your street Declan - far more believable than Dave Robicheaux (I love the books, but find him to be a fussy, immature person).
I finally got round to this one, the excellently delivered audio version  called "Keeper of Lost Causes", same story -  just another name.
He ticks all the boxes for stereotypical 'novel detective', except I don't think he has a substance addiction. The plot doesn't wildly meander like a Dave Robicheaux story, the knack of this storytelling is you are gripped solid all the way through, as it moves along.
So much so, that if I was the recipient of an alluring invitation to come to bed, I might say (depending) 'do you mind if I keep the headphones on?'

5 Sams

Like him or loath him...Gary Neville's book is worth a read.
The Aristocrat Years

Billys Boots

Quote from: Main Street on October 27, 2012, 02:22:13 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on October 20, 2011, 11:00:49 AM
Just finished 'Mercy' by Jussi Adler-Olsen - fantastic, about a grumpy, disillusioned, depressed, slight-psychotic cop.  Right up your street Declan - far more believable than Dave Robicheaux (I love the books, but find him to be a fussy, immature person).
I finally got round to this one, the excellently delivered audio version  called "Keeper of Lost Causes", same story -  just another name.
He ticks all the boxes for stereotypical 'novel detective', except I don't think he has a substance addiction. The plot doesn't wildly meander like a Dave Robicheaux story, the knack of this storytelling is you are gripped solid all the way through, as it moves along.
So much so, that if I was the recipient of an alluring invitation to come to bed, I might say (depending) 'do you mind if I keep the headphones on?'

The second novel by Jussi Adler-Olsen, "Disgrace" is disappointing - quite good, but not a patch on the first one.  Same detective team, now joined by a secretary that no-one else in the station wants. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Canalman

Recently started The Hunchback of Notre Dame having bought it years ago cheaply. Really enjoyable so far.
If you are so interested I would also recommend The Count of Monte Cristo as a novel to read........ none of the film versions do the book justice imo and very easy to read.

Still though the best novels I have ever read are The Godfather, Day of the Jackal and The Name of the Rose.

Main Street

It's decades since I read the Day of the Jackal, great novel (and film as well). The attention to detail was meticulous, even the passport scam stood the test of time. One exception though - the ease with with he beautifully sprayed his Alfa another color (blue?), in the open air with a 12v sprayer hooked to the car battery, did require maximum suspension of belief.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on November 02, 2012, 01:03:21 PM
It's decades since I read the Day of the Jackal, great novel (and film as well). The attention to detail was meticulous, even the passport scam stood the test of time. One exception though - the ease with with he beautifully sprayed his Alfa another color (blue?), in the open air with a 12v sprayer hooked to the car battery, did require maximum suspension of belief.
Fantastic book. Have read most of Forsyth's stuff and not sure he came close with the others.

Main Street

Not in the same league as Day of the Jackal  but Stephen King's 11/22/63 is a good entertaining read. It's about a bit of time traveling to have a first hand experience of the events and characters  leading up to the assassination of JFK.
Shades of 'Back to the Future', 'Friday Night Lights' and the 'Day of the Jackal' mixed in with a generous amount of American early 60's nostalgia, when folks were folks and blacks were in their place.
It takes him about 400 pages to actually get close to the action.
It's my first SK book. It was a good entertaining well spun out story read (or listen in my case) but I doubt if I'll be looking for another one.

ziggy90

Quote from: Canalman on November 02, 2012, 09:33:57 AM
Recently started The Hunchback of Notre Dame having bought it years ago cheaply. Really enjoyable so far.
If you are so interested I would also recommend The Count of Monte Cristo as a novel to read........ none of the film versions do the book justice imo and very easy to read.

Still though the best novels I have ever read are The Godfather, Day of the Jackal and The Name of the Rose.

I read The Count of Monte Cristo about 6 months ago (I first read it about 40 years ago :o) still one of the best books I've ever read. I'd also agree with you on The Day of the Jackel and The Godfather. The Name of the Rose I have read but don't really recall, but seeing as the rest of your choices are very similar to my tastes I'll give it another go.

If you haven't already done so have a gawk at the Erast Fandorin series by Boris Akunin (as recommended by Billy's Boots and Harold Disgracey (I think), I think you'd really enjoy them.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

cadence

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 23, 2012, 11:03:18 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 22, 2012, 09:22:56 PM

Found myself today searching for a good read. I m going through a sports book phase at the moment - but find I m going back to old favourites, rather than new stuff. I seldom do fiction so ......

Wonder could we do a top 10/20 poll of members' favourite sports books. Selfish here but might pick up something to shorten the winter nights.

Friday Night Lights - H. G. Bissinger
Barca - Jimmy Burns
Open: An Autobiography - Andre Agassi
The Damned United - David Peace
Working On a Dream - Damien Lawlor

As as aside is there any decent books about rugby out there? Has anyone read any?

this is good... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Confessions-Rugby-Mercenary-John-Daniell/dp/0091930685

tyroneboi

If your a fan of rugby or not I can't recommend Matt Hampsons booked Engage enough. Superb book and you will experience a whole range of emotions reading it.

Celt_Man

Folks, have any of you got a Kindle or Nook??  Is it worth getting?  I'd read a lot of books and one of those could be handy to read at lunchtime in the car
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Celt_Man on November 03, 2012, 12:46:45 AM
Folks, have any of you got a Kindle or Nook??  Is it worth getting?  I'd read a lot of books and one of those could be handy to read at lunchtime in the car
As I have said before I thought I would hate not reading "a book". Got the Kindle and haven't looked back. Would recommend to anyone for novels etc.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 03, 2012, 12:50:13 AM
Quote from: Celt_Man on November 03, 2012, 12:46:45 AM
As I have said before I thought I would hate not reading "a book". Got the Kindle and haven't looked back. Would recommend to anyone for novels etc.

Yea I would have been thinking along the same lines - I'm coming around though

Which one have you?  And how much are the books to download?
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Main Street

For audio book aficionados  who download an audio book from a 'friend'  and like to listen to them on their iPod.
After the files have been imported to iTunes library, the id tags have to be updated.
As long as there are clear track numbers for each track, for the most part all you'll have to do is
<Select all>
<Get info>
<Options>
<Media Kind>  -  activate audio book
<Remember playback position> - activate

Once that is done your iPod will play the tracks in order and pick up where you left off, unless you play something else in the meantime, in that case you'll have to scroll down to the last audio book track/chapter played.

Canalman

Quote from: ziggy90 on November 02, 2012, 07:48:03 PM
Quote from: Canalman on November 02, 2012, 09:33:57 AM

I read The Count of Monte Cristo about 6 months ago (I first read it about 40 years ago :o) still one of the best books I've ever read. I'd also agree with you on The Day of the Jackel and The Godfather. The Name of the Rose I have read but don't really recall, but seeing as the rest of your choices are very similar to my tastes I'll give it another go.

If you haven't already done so have a gawk at the Erast Fandorin series by Boris Akunin (as recommended by Billy's Boots and Harold Disgracey (I think), I think you'd really enjoy them.

Thanks Ziggy for that , will definitely give them a go.

Have to say that I have rarely been disappointed by following the pointers on this board on books and movies.