Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcarrier

Loved the Montalbano series and read the lot on Billy's rec.  Read the Godfather for the first time afterwards. Excellent read if you can forget the film.

Also recently read the three Alec Blume Novels by Conor Fitzgerald. The first one is best of trilogy. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Dogs-Rome-Blume-Commissario/dp/1408809923/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342004503&sr=8-1

Montalbano-esque but not quite there.

Reading Steve Jobs bio now. Seems to have been a bit of a nutter.

BenDover

just finished this THE BOXER'S STORY - FIGHTING FOR MY LIFE IN THE NAZI CAMPS By Nathan Shapow. A bio on one man's survival through WWII who went on to fight for the creation of the State of Israel. Would definitely recommend this!   

The Iceman

Quote from: BenDover on July 16, 2012, 11:52:27 AM
just finished this THE BOXER'S STORY - FIGHTING FOR MY LIFE IN THE NAZI CAMPS By Nathan Shapow. A bio on one man's survival through WWII who went on to fight for the creation of the State of Israel. Would definitely recommend this!   
sounds like a film with Wilem Defoe?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Iceman on July 18, 2012, 09:00:44 PM
Quote from: BenDover on July 16, 2012, 11:52:27 AM
sounds like a film with Wilem Defoe?
Triumph of the Spirit. Different person but similar story.

Celt_Man

Just read The Hard Way - one of the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child... Top notch stuff as usual.  I find it very hard to put down any of the books in that series, normally read them in 2 or so days...  Couldn't recommend them high enough
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

CiKe

Just read Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage (the updated one where he covers the 2006 Tour) and quite enjoyed it. Read Born to Ride by Stephen Roche and for whatever reason didn't really like the tone of it, though a few good anecdotes.

Canalman

Finished my 1st Ian Fleming book...... Moonraker and have to say it was a good read although I wasn't expecting too much from it.

LeoMc

Quote from: Billys Boots on July 11, 2012, 11:25:33 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on July 11, 2012, 10:46:28 AM
Quote from: Minder on June 13, 2012, 05:17:27 PM
Anyone read the Henning Menkel (Wallander) books? Finished the first one, Faceless Killers, and it was excellent.

Just started Menkels The Troubled Man there based on recommendations on here. Starting quite promisingly.

I loved all the Wallander books - the best ones are Faceless Killers, Sidetracked and One Step Behind.  Troubled Man is quite good too, though most of it was kind of sad for me knwoing there wouldn't be another.

Serious ending to it too, depressed me.

LeoMc

Quote from: Celt_Man on July 19, 2012, 01:14:01 AM
Just read The Hard Way - one of the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child... Top notch stuff as usual.  I find it very hard to put down any of the books in that series, normally read them in 2 or so days...  Couldn't recommend them high enough

Easy reads alright though the thought of Tom Cruise playing 6'4" Jack Reacher has put me off them a bit.

eddie d

Quote from: LeoMc on August 27, 2012, 05:21:10 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on July 19, 2012, 01:14:01 AM

Easy reads alright though the thought of Tom Cruise playing 6'4" Jack Reacher has put me off them a bit.

poor choice...the list of other suitable actors is endless

Puckoon

I've been into the Reacher series for well over a decade now, one of my favourite characters - even if one or two of the books have ended kinda blah.

Watched the trailer for the movie last week and it is f-ing woejus looking.

One scene where as usual Reacher is surrounded by 3 or 4 big dudes all looking a piece of him and the camera cuts to short arse - clearly much much smaller than the 3 or 4 dudes and you're supposed to believe it's Reacher?

Might be sellable to someone who hasn't read the books but it's pure shite casting.

With a little effort I think Alexander Skarsgaard would have made a decent Reacher. He's got the height and the build.

Main Street

I don't know about the Jack Reacher series, probably because I haven't gotten further than the 2nd one. The first one (when he drifted into a town) was interesting enough but I couldn't finish the 2nd one where he was held captive by a bunch of right wing loons, who allowed him to wander around the encampment armed to the teeth. I got as far as the helicopter hunt for the runaway bomb.

I went through the Fandorin series on audio  (thanks Billy  - or will some other fécker say 'it was me who was first'). Needless to say it was an enjoyable experience. Some of the books were read by the same guy who just caught the humour spot on, especially the boat journey 'Murder on the Leviathan', whereas the 'Turkish Gambit' suffered a bit from a deadpan delivery.
The Berlin Noir trilogy by Philip Kerr was also interesting, maybe also because of the location and time period.

As I have gone through 3  different tv drama versions of the Wallander series, I think I'll wait until I forget what happened before considering the book version..

Estimator

Quote from: Puckoon on August 27, 2012, 07:45:14 PM
I've been into the Reacher series for well over a decade now, one of my favourite characters - even if one or two of the books have ended kinda blah.

Watched the trailer for the movie last week and it is f-ing woejus looking.

One scene where as usual Reacher is surrounded by 3 or 4 big dudes all looking a piece of him and the camera cuts to short arse - clearly much much smaller than the 3 or 4 dudes and you're supposed to believe it's Reacher?

Might be sellable to someone who hasn't read the books but it's pure shite casting.
I think he says 'Remember you asked for this' as the four dudes surround him. Ridiculous. They might as well have given the part to Woody Allen or Danny DeVito!
Ulster League Champions 2009

Puckoon

Yeah, that's what he says. Terrible casting indeed.

Celt_Man

Ahh thats pathetic.... Whats with the Impala SS? Is it an episode of Supernatural too???

That's just an appalling casting choice - I presume the midgets Production Company is invovled and thats how he has the gig
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010