Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Celt_Man on January 05, 2011, 01:09:10 AM
No surprise over the holidays I've read a fare few books...

Worth Dying For - Lee Child... The latest installment of the Jack Reacher series - fecking excellent, have been looking forward to it for a good while and it didn't disappoint.  Literally couldn't put in down, probably read it in 4 or 5 sittings

Deliver Us From Evil - David Baldacci... follow up to The Whole Truth, another cracker - in fairness Baldacci is one of the best around IMHO, the main character Shaw is another cool mo-fo a lá Reacher above

Read one of the latest Alex Cross books from James Patterson, I don't find them near as good as I used to, seem to have a bit of "fiction writing by numbers" about it...

Also one of those First Murders Club or something like it (I was stuck for something to do) think it was called 8th Confession... Written by Patterson and some chick - really hate those "Big name writer coauthoring a book with a lesser light" because it feels like the "big name author" really had fook all to do with it

For all the Reacher fans, get ready to reach for a bucket to puke into...........                           

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/exclusive-tom-cruise-still-tough-50-first-jack-161656849.html

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Main Street

These past few years I only listen to audio books on my iPod, much depends on the reader.
Atm, I'm going through a Russian phase.

'Maybe mentioned before' 
Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov,   after 5 minutes you are dragged into a bizarre brilliantly constructed surreal satire.
Child 44 - Tom Rob Smith,  loosely based on the serial killer, the Rostov Ripper. It's let down a bit by a weak ending but gets to the heart of the pernicious rot of Bolshevism right down to family relationships. I was originally interested to read a non-fiction book about the hunt for this serial killer but there were none available on audio.

Hashtag

Quote from: maggie on July 04, 2012, 12:25:34 AM
Succumbed to the hype/peer pressure and read 50 Shades over the weekend. (Your wives and g/f's will know it.)

Am no doubt in the minority but I thought it was an absolute pile of dung.

I heard a lot of women said they really enjoyed it. Said they were flicking their way through it no problem.

Billys Boots

QuoteChild 44 - Tom Rob Smith

That's the first in a trilogy, I've read the second as well and it's not bad (and have the third lined up for the holidays).

If you like the grim Russian stuff, try R.N. Morris's St. Petersburg novels (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gentle-Axe-St-Petersburg-Mystery/dp/0571238572/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1341396250&sr=1-1).  An interesting construct - the detective/investigator is Porfiry Petrovich (of Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment) in mid-late 19th century St. Petersburg (a little before Fandorin's time however, further removed from the October Revolution, and less concerned with that political landscape.  A good read, and there's four novels to-date. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

Thanks Billy, I'll check them out, ie. if they're available for download

Re Tom Rob Smith, imo  the trilogy gets progressively weaker.

Rois

Succumbed to the hype/peer pressure and read 50 Shades over the weekend. (Your wives and g/f's will know it.)

My friend bought me a copy but I forgot to take it on hols, so my wee sis started reading it.  She couldn't even make it through the book, bless her wee innocent socks.  I really don't particularly want to read it now. 

LeoMc

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on July 04, 2012, 03:20:01 AM
Quote from: Celt_Man on January 05, 2011, 01:09:10 AM
No surprise over the holidays I've read a fare few books...

Worth Dying For - Lee Child... The latest installment of the Jack Reacher series - fecking excellent, have been looking forward to it for a good while and it didn't disappoint.  Literally couldn't put in down, probably read it in 4 or 5 sittings

Deliver Us From Evil - David Baldacci... follow up to The Whole Truth, another cracker - in fairness Baldacci is one of the best around IMHO, the main character Shaw is another cool mo-fo a lá Reacher above

Read one of the latest Alex Cross books from James Patterson, I don't find them near as good as I used to, seem to have a bit of "fiction writing by numbers" about it...

Also one of those First Murders Club or something like it (I was stuck for something to do) think it was called 8th Confession... Written by Patterson and some chick - really hate those "Big name writer coauthoring a book with a lesser light" because it feels like the "big name author" really had fook all to do with it

For all the Reacher fans, get ready to reach for a bucket to puke into...........                           

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/exclusive-tom-cruise-still-tough-50-first-jack-161656849.html

Ahh feck, Where is he getting the 8" heels from?

ONeill

Quote from: Rois on July 04, 2012, 12:04:18 PM

My friend bought me a copy but I forgot to take it on hols, so my wee sis started reading it.  She couldn't even make it through the book, bless her wee innocent socks.  I really don't particularly want to read it now.

On a personal note, I've never been happier.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Onion Bag

Quote from: ONeill on July 04, 2012, 01:41:10 PM
Quote from: Rois on July 04, 2012, 12:04:18 PM

On a personal note, I've never been happier.

Tell us more O Neill  ;)
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Onion Bag

Spoken like a true lady!
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

ONeill

You don't want to know really. Let's just say the exam marking has fairly slowed down.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: ziggy90 on June 13, 2012, 04:48:39 PM
Oh, you again Billy, it's a good job they say opposites attract. :o Anyway thanks to yourself and the good Harold, if it wasn't for ye, I'd never have heard of these and would be a whole lot poorer for it.

You should also give Akunin's Sister Pelagia novels a go, though perhaps not as good as the Fandorin series they are engaging nonetheless.

ziggy90

Thanks for that H. I was intending to give them a try but I'll wait until I've finished Fandorin's adventures.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

LeoMc

Quote from: Minder on June 13, 2012, 05:17:27 PM
Anyone read the Henning Menkel (Wallander) books? Finished the first one, Faceless Killers, and it was excellent.

Just started Menkels The Troubled Man there based on recommendations on here. Starting quite promisingly.

Billys Boots

Quote from: LeoMc on July 11, 2012, 10:46:28 AM
Quote from: Minder on June 13, 2012, 05:17:27 PM
Anyone read the Henning Menkel (Wallander) books? Finished the first one, Faceless Killers, and it was excellent.

Just started Menkels The Troubled Man there based on recommendations on here. Starting quite promisingly.

I loved all the Wallander books - the best ones are Faceless Killers, Sidetracked and One Step Behind.  Troubled Man is quite good too, though most of it was kind of sad for me knwoing there wouldn't be another.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...