Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Olly on March 28, 2012, 09:10:49 AM
I bought a new Kindle recently and was looking to buy O'Farrell's new book about the man who forgot who his wife was. I saw that it was £8 to download from Amazon. I thought that was a bit steep, presumably hardback. Can anyone tell me if I can download a softback copy?

Sure you can, except that the download is restricted to walking pace, literally.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Olly

Thanks. That doesn't sound like my cup of tea. I'll wait for the softcopy in the shop and then copy it over manually.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 18, 2011, 12:34:01 PM
May have said it before, but if you like crime fiction set in wartime, try 'Berlin Noir' a trilogy set around Nazi Germany by Philip Kerr - a Sam Spade type ex-cop working around the touchy, feely attentions of the Gestapo.  Enjoy!

Good call Billy, just finished March Violets & looking forward to the next two in the trilogy. Superb!

oisinog

I just finished the millennium trilogy. Very good read and very graphic in places

BerfArmagh

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 27, 2012, 11:39:10 PM
Just finished The Phantom, the latest Harry Hole thriller by Jo Nesbo. Very good with a shock twist at the end.

I see Martin Scorsese is set to direct a film version of The Snowman!

I finished the Phantom last night, excellent... check out Headhunters as well, also being made into a movie

ALso lads, my cousin had his first novel published, its actually very good

http://www.amazon.co.uk/After-Lockout-Darran-McCann/dp/0007429479/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333642772&sr=8-1

ziggy90

I know your cousin's cousin. :'( I'm still waiting to read both of yours cousins first novel.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Billys Boots

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on April 05, 2012, 09:50:37 AM
May have said it before, but if you like crime fiction set in wartime, try 'Berlin Noir' a trilogy set around Nazi Germany by Philip Kerr - a Sam Spade type ex-cop working around the touchy, feely attentions of the Gestapo.  Enjoy!

Good call Billy, just finished March Violets & looking forward to the next two in the trilogy. Superb!

I read an extraordinary novel over the Easter - again set in wartime Berlin, called 'Alone in Berlin - Hans Fallada'.  Different to Kerr's efforts in that it was written in 1946 (while set in 1940), and the author died before it was published.  It is a fictionalised account of a true occurrence - a man and his wife decide to subvert the Nazi system (following the death of their only son in the war effort) simply by leaving postcards with hand-written anti-Nazi slogans all around the city.  It's pretty clear that the author sees this 'campaign' as symbolic of the beginning on the end for the regime.  While the story is horrific (in real terms, rather than what the word has come to mean lately), and contains a litany of truly disgusting characters, it is extremely uplifting as a human experience. Very, very highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alone-Berlin-Penguin-Modern-Classics/dp/014118938X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334230528&sr=8-1
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 12, 2012, 12:36:00 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on April 05, 2012, 09:50:37 AM

I read an extraordinary novel over the Easter - again set in wartime Berlin, called 'Alone in Berlin - Hans Fallada'.  Different to Kerr's efforts in that it was written in 1946 (while set in 1940), and the author died before it was published.  It is a fictionalised account of a true occurrence - a man and his wife decide to subvert the Nazi system (following the death of their only son in the war effort) simply by leaving postcards with hand-written anti-Nazi slogans all around the city.  It's pretty clear that the author sees this 'campaign' as symbolic of the beginning on the end for the regime.  While the story is horrific (in real terms, rather than what the word has come to mean lately), and contains a litany of truly disgusting characters, it is extremely uplifting as a human experience. Very, very highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alone-Berlin-Penguin-Modern-Classics/dp/014118938X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334230528&sr=8-1

Agreed, Billy. It's excellent. I remember recommending it here after I read it. I found it gave me the best insight I've ever had, from all the history and fiction I've read and documentaries and movies I've watched, into the evil ethos of the Nazi regime.

Billys Boots

Now that I think about it Hardy, I bought it on your recommendation.  Thanks!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 12, 2012, 01:14:42 PM
You read the other two; Little Man, What Now? and Wolf Among Wolves? Might fire thesd onto the Kindle tonight.

Billys Boots

No, but the author looks an interesting character alright.  Might do so again. 

CiKe

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 12, 2012, 03:30:47 PM
You read the other two; Little Man, What Now? and Wolf Among Wolves? Might fire thesd onto the Kindle tonight.

Hey now, I'll not have someone steal the credit due me, I was the first to recommend!

Tony presume you haven't read them rather than looking to reread them? I'd be interested to know what they're like as well, as can't think of any books i've ever read that are better than Alone in Berlin. If they're half as good, should be plenty.

Hardy

Quote from: CiKe on April 12, 2012, 07:25:42 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 12, 2012, 03:30:47 PM

Hey now, I'll not have someone steal the credit due me, I was the first to recommend!

Tony presume you haven't read them rather than looking to reread them? I'd be interested to know what they're like as well, as can't think of any books i've ever read that are better than Alone in Berlin. If they're half as good, should be plenty.

Fair play, Cike. I do seem to remember it was your recommendation that brought it to my attention. I am in your debt.

Tony Baloney

Haven't read any of them cike. Was checking if they were all worth a lash as I'm low on books at the min. Will start with Alone in Berlin.

Thanks for the tip.

tyroneman

Anyone read any David Foster Wallace books?