Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on December 21, 2011, 12:34:35 PM
Any good books out there about sporting irish men except Tony McCoys?

Any of McCoy's books are about as interesting as the selling hurdle at Market Rasen. Timmy Murphy's autobiography is the best racing book by a distance. Walsh's and Fitzy's books are so-so. Hoping that Santy brings a copy of Paul Carberry's book. Not expecting anything insightful from it but there should be a good few yarns about his frequent daft behaviour!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Hardy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 21, 2011, 12:59:22 PM
Quote from: Radda bout yeee on December 21, 2011, 12:34:35 PM
Any good books out there about sporting irish men except Tony McCoys?

Any of McCoy's books are about as interesting as the selling hurdle at Market Rasen. Timmy Murphy's autobiography is the best racing book by a distance. Walsh's and Fitzy's books are so-so. Hoping that Santy brings a copy of Paul Carberry's book. Not expecting anything insightful from it but there should be a good few yarns about his frequent daft behaviour!

Spot on. However, I got to about forty pages before I got fed up with the daft behaviour yarns and gave it away.

Hardy

Speaking of (Ruby) Walsh's book, which I haven't read, surely Ted's, if he ever gets around to it, is destined to be the greatest racing book ever. Greatest sports book, even.

tyroneman

Anyone read " Masters of Nothing" about the whole financial meltdown?

Currently struggling to get thorugh Moneyball before I go see the film. Dull boook in a lot of places.

Mayo4Sam

I thought moneyball was excellent, really enjoyed it
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

bennydorano

Started 'screaming at the sky' by Tony Griffin a while back & gave up on it, must get back to it.  Didn't demand my  attention for some reason.

Declan Bouge's book really was excellent.

Ned Boulting's 'How i won the yellow jumper' was a good read. Also bought a pictoral history of Le Tour - tres bein.

Mayo4Sam

I really liked screaming at the sky, showed the mental torture he put himself through.

I see Greame Obree is going for another world record, his book, The flying Scotsman, is horribly written but a good story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cycling/16231501.stm
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

BenDover

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 04, 2011, 08:07:30 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on December 16, 2010, 04:05:13 PM
Ghosts of Belfast

Great book for anyone from Armagh or who ever lived about Belfast. Great fiction thriller about the IRA
It's called The Twelve over here. He has another one called Collusion - not sure if title changed for US market. He's very good.
Reading the Twelve at the minute after finishing Collusion last week bit back to front but still 2 good reads

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BenDover on January 16, 2012, 04:59:20 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 04, 2011, 08:07:30 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on December 16, 2010, 04:05:13 PM
Ghosts of Belfast

Great book for anyone from Armagh or who ever lived about Belfast. Great fiction thriller about the IRA
It's called The Twelve over here. He has another one called Collusion - not sure if title changed for US market. He's very good.
Reading the Twelve at the minute after finishing Collusion last week bit back to front but still 2 good reads
The missus got me a couple of signed copies for Christmas. Third one is out this month I think.

The Iceman

I think the third one focuses on the cop and the wee girl but would likely be worth picking up.

Reading Shogun at the minute. Never seen the miniseries but have heard of it.
Book is amazing. Top 5 without a doubt.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Iceman on January 17, 2012, 12:05:07 AM
I think the third one focuses on the cop and the wee girl but would likely be worth picking up.

Reading Shogun at the minute. Never seen the miniseries but have heard of it.
Book is amazing. Top 5 without a doubt.
They are essentially now the Jack Lennon series.

The Iceman

Really?
Lennon played a minor enough role in the first two in fairness and I wouldn't be overly intrigued in a book focusing on him.... Think Neville is changing direction to cover all sides of the community?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Harold Disgracey

For those of you with a Kindle or Kindle app, The Same Old Game (Volumes 1&2) by Mike Roberts is available free today on Amazon. It's a 800 page compendium on the origins of football and includes a few chapters on Gaelic Games.

I can also recommend City of Bohane.

5 Sams

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on January 25, 2012, 01:16:39 PM
For those of you with a Kindle or Kindle app, The Same Old Game (Volumes 1&2) by Mike Roberts is available free today on Amazon. It's a 800 page compendium on the origins of football and includes a few chapters on Gaelic Games.

Well played Harold :)
The Aristocrat Years

Billys Boots

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 25, 2012, 01:45:50 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on January 25, 2012, 01:16:39 PM

Well played Harold :)

MOTM again today Harold, fair play!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...