Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenDover

Halfway through 'The Doomsday Prophecy' by Scott Mariana pretty good read anyone read any of his other books?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: The Iceman on November 02, 2011, 07:43:02 PM
Reading a book called "In the Woods" part of the Dublin Murder Squad series of books.......
Anyone ever read them?
iread that 'in the woods 'one, thought it was excellent
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Canalman

Umberto Eco's new book is coming out in English shortlly........... Prague Cemetery I think. Will buy it in the hope that it is as good as the NOTR and not like his other novels which I gave up on after starting.

Here's hoping as the reviews are good (for what they are worth).

Mayo4Sam

Been a while since I posted on this.

Nico Roches inside the pelethon, interesting if ur a cycling fan.
Vernon God Little, thought first half was very slow and tough going, second half couldn't put it down thought it was excellent
Moneyball, very interesting, personalised the book very well considering he was talking about a sport and players I know little about.
Cloud atlas, Excellent story telling, have just started the thousand autumns of Jacob de Zoet, also by David Mitchell, similar style, think I'll like it also.
Greame Obree - The flying Scotsman, brutal writing but savage story, again one for the cyclists.
Liam Hayes - out of our skins, think he's an arsehole but good book.

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Hashtag

Currently reading 'Pigeon English'
Enjoying it. Like the style of writing.

Penning my own tale at the moment as well.

mc_grens

Quote from: Canalman on November 03, 2011, 12:12:07 PM
Umberto Eco's new book is coming out in English shortlly........... Prague Cemetery I think. Will buy it in the hope that it is as good as the NOTR and not like his other novels which I gave up on after starting.

Here's hoping as the reviews are good (for what they are worth).

I found Name Of The Rose disappointing. I came away wanting more story and less preaching. Kinda preferred CJ Sansom's earlier Shardlake novels to be honest.

tbrick18

Quote from: Agnes Dipesto on October 24, 2011, 11:10:34 AM
Anyone read George RR Martin's, 'A game of thrones'? I am on book five now of the series, 'A dance with dragons' and have found them all enjoyable. I think anyone who enjoyed Tolkien's, 'Lord of the rings' would be into these.

Ordered them the other day on Amazon, meant to be good alright.
If you like that sort of book, try Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy. I thought they were fantastic and would go as far as saying I enjoyed them more than lord fo the rings. He has a couple of other follow on books called Best Served Cold and The Heroes which are good too.

eoinbeag

Finished Empire State of Mind by Colin Bateman.  After Divorcing Jack and I predict a riot (both excellent) I was let badly down.

Mayo4Sam

Just finished David Mitchell's, the thousand autumns of Jacob de zoet, great tale, good meaty book too, I'd highly recommend it
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ardchieftain

Forget your game of thones, for those who appreciate their fantasy, check out the master storyteller, Dabid Gemmell, especially Waylander and in particular, Legend. For those into Tolkien, check out, Raymond E. Feist's Magician series and David Eddings, Belgariad and Mallorean series. True masters of their genre. Gan doubt[sic]

stephenite

Got a tip from a man to pick up 'City of Bohane' by Kevin Barry.

Only half way through but it's already shaping up to make my top 5, awesome story.

Harold Disgracey

Just finished the latest Erast Fandorin by Boris Akunin, The Diamond Chariot. A fantastic book, it's two novels in one, the first is set in 1905 during the Russo-Japanese war and the second recounts Fandorin's time in Japan in 1878. There is a shocking twist on the final page.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on December 21, 2011, 11:07:36 AM
Just finished the latest Erast Fandorin by Boris Akunin, The Diamond Chariot. A fantastic book, it's two novels in one, the first is set in 1905 during the Russo-Japanese war and the second recounts Fandorin's time in Japan in 1878. There is a shocking twist on the final page.

They're great alright Harold - next on my list is 'He Lover of Death' and then on to the Diamond Chariot.  Looking forward to them immensely.  ;D
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Radda bout yeee

Any good books out there about sporting irish men except Tony McCoys?

muppet

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on December 21, 2011, 12:34:35 PM
Any good books out there about sporting irish men except Tony McCoys?

Paul McGrath's & Cascarino's are the best soccer ones.

House of Pain is a very good Gaa book but you probably need to be from or frequently play against Mayo to like it.
MWWSI 2017