Marty Clarke

Started by zoyler, August 27, 2008, 03:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Stop spouting shit Sligonian.

SLIGONIAN

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

EC Unique

I kind of agree with Sligonian. Why would a GAA playing gael support a team whos supporters (most of) hate to see a Catholic/nationalist playing for them? Only thing is did he actually say this is about the NI soccer team? or is it just that he is from the North of Ireland?

gallsman

I'm sorry, but where was it ever said that the "NI" he writes on his arm before games is a reference to the statelet's soccer team?! Is the more likely scenario not that it's to remind him of home- the places he grew up and memories of family and friends??? The fact that he follows the soccer team is irrelevant.

I find it highly dubious that one of the best young talents in either code, GAA or Aussie Rules, thinks about a small, insignificant soccer team to get fired up before he runs out in front of 80,000 people...

EC Unique

Thats more or less what I was getting at!

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: gallsman on August 28, 2008, 04:35:56 PM
I'm sorry, but where was it ever said that the "NI" he writes on his arm before games is a reference to the statelet's soccer team?! Is the more likely scenario not that it's to remind him of home- the places he grew up and memories of family and friends??? The fact that he follows the soccer team is irrelevant.

I find it highly dubious that one of the best young talents in either code, GAA or Aussie Rules, thinks about a small, insignificant soccer team to get fired up before he runs out in front of 80,000 people...

Ya thats sound, maybe i misinterpretated the interview and your probably right so thanks. It just didnt make any sense to me earlier but now does.

tyssam5

Down is  a funny place.

ludermor

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 28, 2008, 03:18:22 PM

To me less of a gael yes, less of a player no.

Do you want the likes of Darren Graham become a better gael as well? You have spouted here constantly about how little you care about counties other than your own beloved sligo, im bemused as to why you would be disappointed by the actions of a player living thousands of miles away from home playing a different sport.

the milkman

Sligonian your a total zuke!

What is your problem? why should it matter what team he says he supports?? never heard a bad report about him, i met him last year in Melbourne, total gentlemen, got a tour of their training facilities and to meet the players! he is well thought off out there and here in Ireland by most people!!!!!!

D4S

I'm disgusted by some peoples comments on this thread...Just logged in and read through it all.  I would imagine the NI on Martin's arm is to remind him of home probably not the team, even though he is a big fan.  Martin's brother John also supports Northern ireland and has done since during school, even when the troubles were still going.  I asked him different times why would he support Northern Ireland and he would just say 'this is where i was born.'  Through university John would have went off by himself or begged a friend to go with him to a match at Windsor Park, I didn't go as I supported the Republic (but I was born there) and also on more than 1 occasion I remember Martin coming up on the bus from Kilkeel as a teenager to go with John to see Northern ireland.  So it is nothing to do with wanting to be different or to be seen as a really nice person they've both been supporting Northern Ireland since school...and I doubt Martin will join the orange order sligonian.  Genuinely good young fella who has done really well for himself and his family...pity some people are so 'green' with envy and bitterness, hope he doesn't read the gaaboard while in Melbourne to keep up to date on all things GAA and see some of the crap that has been written here.  However if he does I'd imagine he will probably think well at least I know I've made the right decision moving to Australia and escaping the bitter and jealous nature of some Irish people.  In Australia they praise people who succeed!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

southdown

Well said D4S, the impact Marty has made on the AFL has been unreal

Dubh driocht

I wish we had 15 Marty Clarkes who the Aussie scouts didn't spot.Don't think he would get too annoyed about faceless posters who wouldn't know if it was blown up or stuffed. Hope he gets homesick.

SLIGONIAN

This is some shite on here, no one underestimates how well the lad is doing out in afl. totally seperate issue though and completely irrelevant to the topic ::). Nobody is questioning the lads intergrity or character or niceness. No doubt he has done himself his family and area proud with his exploits. But supporting NI is a sad and disappointing IMO and i will never understand that considering his backround. And it is highly unusual whether yee admit or not. Im sure hes a nice fella but again not calling that into question. End of story (i couldnt be arse listening to anymore irrelevant stuff coming my way from sensitive zukes).  I can see lads on here are trying there best to twist my words and make a bigger deal of what im saying however i feel i have clarified and my views are very clear.

I dont know what a zuke is? And dont care btw probably a compliment ;).

Delighted the lad is doing so well and playing for the team i support out there aswell i might add. The magpies. Keep it up and fair play. Didnt say the last bit before because its irrelevant to this topic article.

zoyler

Don't know what all the abuse of Sligonian is about.  I too find it strange  that a GAA playing lad should support Norn Iron at a time when fellow  Gael Neil Lennon was the subject of foul sectarian abuse from the teams supporters.  Totally his own business but odd - thats all.

I follow Martys career and Aussie Rules with great interest because its a terrific game and hes a terrific player.  Long may his rise continue and hope he is able to make himself available for the Irish national sside come October

ludermor

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 28, 2008, 09:20:27 PM
This is some shite on here, no one underestimates how well the lad is doing out in afl. totally seperate issue though and completely irrelevant to the topic ::). Nobody is questioning the lads intergrity or character or niceness. No doubt he has done himself his family and area proud with his exploits. But supporting NI is a sad and disappointing IMO and i will never understand that considering his backround. And it is highly unusual whether yee admit or not. Im sure hes a nice fella but again not calling that into question. End of story (i couldnt be arse listening to anymore irrelevant stuff coming my way from sensitive zukes).  I can see lads on here are trying there best to twist my words and make a bigger deal of what im saying however i feel i have clarified and my views are very clear.

I dont know what a zuke is? And dont care btw probably a compliment ;).

Delighted the lad is doing so well and playing for the team i support out there aswell i might add. The magpies. Keep it up and fair play. Didnt say the last bit before because its irrelevant to this topic article.

Your are dead right, if i were you i wouldn't comment any more either