Marty Clarke to make debut

Started by zoyler, June 22, 2007, 10:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoyler

Congrats and best of luck to Marty who is picked to make his AFL debut Saturday night for Collingwood against the Sydney Swans.

Apparently its entirely on merit - not because of injuries or any thing like that.  They say he has made remarkablr progress and can not believe his skill level seeeing that he has been out there less than a year.  His trademark is lifting the ball with his feet straight into his hands.  They have never seen this before apparently.

Game live on Satanta at 10am (our time) tomorrow morning.

Syd

Great to see and without half the hoopla big Setanta got, i take it he is progressing at a faster rate than Setanta?

scalder

Must be galling for people in Down - all the effort put into developing him and all that, but best of luck to the chap.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Syd on June 22, 2007, 10:32:23 AM
Great to see and without half the hoopla big Setanta got, i take it he is progressing at a faster rate than Setanta?

Syd

Differences between Clarke/Setanta are:
1 - Clarke was a footballer and Setanta wasn't
2 - Setanta is being groomed for a key position either full/centre back and ruck....this means he is having to go up against the likes of Mathew Lloyd, Barry Hall, Jonathon Brown etc....Clarke isn't going up against players of that standard...

Northside Dub

Composed Clarke continues his rise
2:25 PM Fri 22 June, 2007 | Back

Nick Hulett

for collingwoodfc.com.au

News
CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE FULL MARTIN CLARKE INTERVIEW - FREE - ON CTV

Martin Clarke spoke to CTV about his whirlwind first season so far at Collingwood, which has culminated in him being selected for his debut against Sydney.

The 19-year-old from County Down in Ireland had never touched an Australian Rules football at this stage last year, yet on Saturday night will become the seventh Collingwood player to debut in season 2007.

Hi rise to prominence has been a surprise to many, but the gifted former Gaelic football star has thrived on the new challenge and feels assured he is ready for his AFL debut.

"I've come a long way since I came here, but it's good to be able to get an opportunity to play for Collingwood, that's what I'm here for," Clarke said at the Lexus Centre on Thursday.

After being invited to train at the Lexus Centre for four weeks in July 2006, Clarke returned a couple of months later having impressed the coaching and recruiting staff so much that a two-year international rookie contract had already been offered. He was selected with the 40th overall selected in the 2006 AFL Rookie Draft.

Then, with John Anthony sidelined until 2008 with a neck injury, Clarke was elevated to the senior list, and now finds himself set don the famous black and white stripes for the first time, although nerves are not a big issue.

"I'm not the type of player who really would get nervous a lot. I'm just going to look forward to playing it. It's a big stage, definitely, a big crowd, and traditionally a big game.

"So I'm just really looking forward to getting out there, representing Collingwood, and playing with all the boys I've been training with. So I'm more excited and looking forward to it than I would be nervous."

After a demanding first few months, it was at the beginning of this year when Clarke really started to prosper.

He has gone from strength to strength with Williamstown, having gathered 28 touches off the half back flank against the Bullants last Sunday, and gives credit to the club's coaching structure.

"When I started training and getting into it, especially in the preseason when we started to play games, I got more comfortable, and the boys were giving me confidence on the track, and the coaches were helping to fast track me.

"I'm definitely improving every single week and learning more, whether it be stoppages, how to play on opponents, when to go forward, when to zone off, stuff like that.

"Every week's just been a new learning curve. Thankfully I've been able to improve every week because there's so many resources at the club.

"Alan Richardson, personally, has been a magnificent help to me, and then other coaches like Gavin Brown and Adrian Fletcher just showing you vision of what you can do better, and I'm willing to learn.

"So I've been working on how I can do better, and my performances have been improving, so hopefully I can keep following that trend."

Clarke is disappointed his good friend and fellow Irishman Tadgh Kennelly will miss Saturday night's game, but concedes others at the club may not be very sympathetic.

"I'm a bit disappointed that Tadgh won't be there but I know that Mick and the coaching staff are a bit more pleased than me, that he won't be powering off the half back line as he usually does."

As for his native land, Clarke knows his debut will generate a lot of excitement among family and friends especially.

"They'll just be really excited for me.

"Mum and dad have been saying they've been inundated with people asking how he's coming along, when he's going to play, and neither can give an answer.

"It's going to be Saturday morning back home, a few of my mates said they're going to get together and have a few drinks at 10 in the morning and watch me play, so that's extra motivation for me, knowing everyone back home's urging me on and will be able to watch me."
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

orangeman

Martin was a fantastic talent at underage level and seems to be a very cool, calm and collected individual - he was on the radio and he said he was more excited than nervous - hesays he doesn't suffer from nerves - he must be the real deal !

goldenyears

as fine a dead ball striker as i have ever seen.....!

orangeman

What sort of salary would he be on compared to let's say a premiership footballer ?

stiffler

the salaries don't compare to the Premiership, it would be more comparable to the Scottish League. The top earners like Hall  and Judd  would be earning around 1 million dollars, which is around 400k sterling. 

Whenever Sean Cavanagh was offered a Contract by Brisbane Lions in 2005 he was offered around 50,000 euro for 2 years. I would say this would be similar to Clarke as it was an International Rookie Contract as well.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

DJGaliv

Quote from: zoyler on June 22, 2007, 10:28:08 AM

Game live on Satanta at 10am (our time) tomorrow morning.

Are you sure about this? According to setanta.com they're showing the cricket Ireland v India.

Edited to say: It's on Setanta Sports 2 so if you want to see it you'll have to subscribe. It's not on freeview.

johnpower

Great achievement . I hope it goes well .

orangeman

What would 50k euro get you in australia ? Would that be a good salary ?

Bod Mor

I am delighted for him. Looking forward to seeing him in action tonight at Telstra stadium. It's a pity Kennelly is injured tonight though.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Donagh

Is there anywhere online we can watch or listen to this?

lisdoon1

not sure, watching it live here now on setanta