AIQF Armagh v Monaghan

Started by tonto1888, June 26, 2023, 06:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

To all the armagh fans shouting to me as I left the ground today, put that in your pipe and smoke it and breath in for 21 long years

Wildweasel74

No.9 Lavelle couldn't tackle to save his life. Gave away some very easy frees which Armagh scored.

Schkite

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 02, 2023, 01:59:31 AM
No.9 Lavelle couldn't tackle to save his life. Gave away some very easy frees which Armagh scored.

He's not a man marker at all, did a grand job against Kildare but wasn't the man to play in that position today. Had we not won, that tactical move would have been under alot of scrutiny. At least a few points came directly from him, and in such a tight game that's huge. Good young player but just not in that position.

Wildweasel74

Kieran McGeeney, what a dick. What he playing at, at the end there.

PAULD123

No matter who lost today they were going to walk off disappointed with themselves. Both teams showed reluctance to make best use of the chances they had. Both teams had plenty of opportunities to win that game.

Main Street

Quote from: grounded on July 01, 2023, 11:37:17 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 01, 2023, 09:27:33 PM
Quote from: grounded on July 01, 2023, 09:24:13 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 01, 2023, 08:47:56 PM
Fair fucks Monaghan.

Keep coming year after year putting larger counties to shame.

Absolutely. Punching way above their weight year after year and good luck to them in the semi final.
We don't, this is our weight. We have a good academy structure, an excellent ethos and a good future. We are Monaghan!

Clearly you have those attributes in abundance but i was referring more to the county in terms population and consequently number of  senior clubs/players.
       Over the moon for you and good luck the next day.
It's just this 'punching above our weight' bit has run its course a long time ago, even when the statement (as yours) was made totally without malice.  Monaghan has a population similar to many other counties, eg. Roscommon, Sligo, maybe  a bit less than Cavan.  Once upon a time Monaghan had one of the lowest populations and regarded as impoverished, but not any more, we've been breeding like rabbits these last 3 decades. It was considered our honourable duty to do so for the cause of Monaghan football and raise our economic prowess.
When the Rossies have their pecker up, nobody puts it out that the Rossies are punching above their weight. Sligo have made great strides with their underage,  all counties have a similar opportunity to make the most of developing their gaelic footballers, apart from Dublin that is, who have a permanent one arm bandit that hits jackpot with every pull.

Main Street

Quote from: restorepride on July 01, 2023, 11:33:27 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 01, 2023, 11:31:35 PM
Quote from: restorepride on July 01, 2023, 11:26:15 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 01, 2023, 10:58:12 PM
Quote from: restorepride on July 01, 2023, 10:39:26 PM
Expectation seemed to weigh heavy on Ard Mhacha. Grugan took a mark, possible score, then passed across the pitch. Fear of missing. Overplayed the ball too often. O'Neiil has big moments but no consistency. McGeeney too intense, players seem to reflect that.

He wasn't in a great position for shooting, the big problem was that he hit a bad pass across the field.
Armagh often did the hard bit and then fluffed the next pass or whatever.
Why did he claim a mark then? He bottled it.

Why not? You still get to make your pass without a Monaghan man hanging out of you.
No  - you give the opposition 3-4 seconds to re-position.
Too much analysis, in the heat of the game Grugan claimed  a mark near to the sideline and decided (in 2 or 3 milliseconds) to pass it to a player better placed  to take a point. Them's the breaks at Croke Park with the clock ticking, an All Ireland semi final place beckons and exhaustion factors.

Angus MacGyver

Monaghan should have had that game sewn up in normal time. Kicked 11 wides to Armagh's 2, and coughed up 3 or 4 scores from bad turnovers. Armagh hadn't the quality up front to take advantage. As expected, Conor Lane couldn't resist at least one black/red - the Jones card was a disgraceful call. But at least he got Gary Mohans tackle right on full time- should've been a free out to Monaghan as Tubritt then overheld on the deck. What was McGeeney doing on the pitch at that point?

seafoid

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 01, 2023, 11:13:23 PM
Probably the first time i've said it in a long while, but that defeat is almost entirely on management. Not sure why we left O'Connell and McCarthy unmarked. As others have said we set up to not lose rather than to win. Feels far worse than the Derry/Galway games for some reason.
Because they didn't kick in from last year. Because the all Ireland is there for the taking. 

onefineday

Quote from: Itchy on July 01, 2023, 09:47:27 PM
Someone had to win but both teams were afraid to go for it. Saying that Armaghs refusal to push up with an extra man was ridiculous, especially as the black card straddled the break between normal time and extra time which meant that standing off was an instruction from the line, not something on field. A sad indictment of McGeeney I would say. But no doubt he will go another year.
In fairness to them they could never have foreseen a situation like that, if exactly the same thing had happened to them earlier in the championship they'd have discussed what they should have done in that situation and committed to taking the game to the opposition if it ever happened again, but what are the chances of playing the first period of extra time a man up due to a black card twice??

trailer

Quote from: An Watcher on July 02, 2023, 01:47:08 AM
To all the armagh fans shouting to me as I left the ground today, put that in your pipe and smoke it and breath in for 21 long years

X2. The abuse they gave me and the two kids was pathetic. I can take banter but foul and abusive language crossed the line. Their team is like England and their fans behave the same way. Great to see them bate. Great to see them suffer on pens again.

Orior

Anyone here involved in the punch up in Hill 16? Asking for a Garda friend.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Quote from: trailer on July 02, 2023, 07:22:44 AM

X2. The abuse they gave me and the two kids was pathetic. I can take banter but foul and abusive language crossed the line. Their team is like England and their fans behave the same way. Great to see them bate. Great to see them suffer on pens again.

I would to apologise for all the parts. Poor upbringing and too many drugs
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

onefineday

These teams played 2 years ago in ulster:
Armagh 2.21 Monaghan 4.17 (both teams scored 0.4 from placed balls)

So I guess you could say geezer learnt from that defeat and adapted his tactics as they managed a draw yesterday.

snoopdog

Quote from: trailer on July 02, 2023, 07:22:44 AM

I feel for the real Armagh fans who go to games all year but those guys aren't real Armagh fans they are just there for the beer. I was on the Hill in clones when they played Down and I had young kids. It was disgraceful.  And they abused us as we left. Well guess what Down are still playing championship football in July.  On the game Armagh had 3 great goal chances in normal time failed to take any , both teams looked afraid to take match winning chances.  Monaghan wide count will need to be a lot less in the SF. Delighted for McManus what a servant to Monaghan. Surely there can't be questions around McGeeney as manager. He has taken Armagh a long way I wouldn't be too sure a new manager could get them to that level again. Lost 3 games on penalties that's just unlucky.