AIQF Armagh v Monaghan

Started by tonto1888, June 26, 2023, 06:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Both teams played Division 1 fball this year, been top 8 for awhile. Why would beating another top 8 ranked tram to reach a semi final be a big suprise.

trueblue1234

This is a 50 50 game. No side significantly better than the other. Prob just fancy Monaghan as they've more experience but can't see much in it. I'm not expecting a classic.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

AustinPowers

Quote from: rrhf on June 26, 2023, 08:17:06 PM
Armagh supporters should be demanding a stand alone game to facilitate their 75k + fans...

The Nou Camp it is  then!

bennydorano

This is the first game in a long long time following Armagh I am utterly convinced we will win and win well.

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on June 26, 2023, 09:54:51 PM
This is the first game in a long long time following Armagh I am utterly convinced we will win and win well.
The curse of football death.
If Monaghan bring their last day of the League face to this match, Armagh can forget it.

Angus MacGyver

Difficult to call here. Could be a blowout win for Armagh or a tight margin in Monaghan's favour. Neither team will want to be considered clear favourites but at first look you would have to say Armagh to win. That's more to do with Monaghan's striking lack of form than anything too special about Armagh however.

I think a big, big factor in this one will be Conor Lane. He is totally averse to physical contact in the tackle and calls yellow, black and red to the letter. That will probably suit Armagh a bit more if they get a running game going as Lane will penalize anything like a tackle on the run. It will be a miracle of both teams keep 15 on the field for the whole game- hope it is not decided in that way.

armaghniac

There is a lot of justification for this, Armagh should win. But there is a long record of Monaghan winning when weren't expected to, from the National League final in 1985, one of few things Monaghan ever won, to Clones in 2003 when Armagh were 10/1, to Casement in 2010 when only few Monaghan people bothered to go and they hammered us. Hopefully, Armagh are in the right frame of mind, they've drilled their defence but now is the time to get on the front foot ans show us what us fans think they can do.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

restorepride

Ard Mhacha would be clear favourites from what I've seen and Muineachán really lucky to survive against Cill Dara.  If Ard Mhacha are more positive in approach and bring a more expansive, kicking game to Croke Park I think they could win convincingly. However if it develops into an Ulster war of attrition, could end up a lot closer.  Massive opportunity for Ard Mhacha to go one better than last year.

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: kickingmule on June 26, 2023, 08:05:12 PM
Awh I have watched armagh quite alot this year and too structured is not how  i would describe them. A management team lacking any real game plan other than this hard man image will certainly not cut it in croke Park.

What games were you at to come up with that description?

Doesn't sound like any of the ones I was at

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/06/26/denis-walsh-everyone-left-in-the-hurling-championship-is-racing-against-time/?"There is an emotional component to championship matches that doesn't exist week-in, week-out in the bread-and-butter leagues of professional sports. In the GAA, emotional investment is what distinguishes the seasons. Those emotions can't be kept on a boilerplate, they need time to cool and heat."

This applies even more to Armagh. The time pressure of this season adds another dimension to prediction.

bennydorano

Cavan19

Quote from: restorepride on June 26, 2023, 10:08:05 PM
Ard Mhacha would be clear favourites from what I've seen and Muineachán really lucky to survive against Cill Dara.  If Ard Mhacha are more positive in approach and bring a more expansive, kicking game to Croke Park I think they could win convincingly. However if it develops into an Ulster war of attrition, could end up a lot closer.  Massive opportunity for Ard Mhacha to go one better than last year.

"Páirc an Chrócaigh" Do it right.

statto

Be interesting to see what McGeeney does with Rian in this game.  I would personally play him midfield with Crealy who had a great second half against Galway and shift Mackin to wing back.  Murnin can act as a target man inside and Turbitt's pace will be suited to Croke Park. 

McCarron gave McKay the run around in Newry a few years ago so be interesting if he is tasked with job again, he is well improved and has had a good year to date. 

Monaghan have been pretty poor last couple of games but will have no fear of Armagh and will expect this to be a close game.  Armagh though I believe have a bit more quality up the top end which will hopefully see them over line. 

Armagh18

Quote from: statto on June 27, 2023, 09:09:45 AM
Be interesting to see what McGeeney does with Rian in this game.  I would personally play him midfield with Crealy who had a great second half against Galway and shift Mackin to wing back.  Murnin can act as a target man inside and Turbitt's pace will be suited to Croke Park. 

McCarron gave McKay the run around in Newry a few years ago so be interesting if he is tasked with job again, he is well improved and has had a good year to date. 

Monaghan have been pretty poor last couple of games but will have no fear of Armagh and will expect this to be a close game.  Armagh though I believe have a bit more quality up the top end which will hopefully see them over line.
Rian probably be named 14 and come out for large parts as usual. Have a feeling Morgan could be back for this one, him or Paddy Burns likely candidates for McCarron i reckon.

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on June 26, 2023, 10:07:49 PM

There is a lot of justification for this, Armagh should win. But there is a long record of Monaghan winning when weren't expected to, from the National League final in 1985, one of few things Monaghan ever won, to Clones in 2003 when Armagh were 10/1, to Casement in 2010 when only few Monaghan people bothered to go and they hammered us. Hopefully, Armagh are in the right frame of mind, they've drilled their defence but now is the time to get on the front foot ans show us what us fans think they can do.
Armagh got relegated
Armagh's manager
Armagh lost to Tyrone
Armagh beat  Galway who were banjaxed

versus

Monaghan didn't get relegated
Corey is doing a good job
Monaghan can pull a top drawer effort out when their backs are to the wall.