AIQF Armagh v Monaghan

Started by tonto1888, June 26, 2023, 06:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

Quote from: Main Street on July 04, 2023, 03:50:04 PM
Not wishing to stick the boot in out of glee but the defensive set up for that last play was píss poor. Armagh went man to man,  Monaghan players then moved to locate themselves away from the space between the 21 and 45, even players took their willing dedicated marker towards both sidelines. Once the ball got moving, then  McCarron takes his marker out of harm's way. There was so much space opened up between the 45 and 20m lines. McManus received the ball, (the clutch legend) could spin around his lone marker using the ring road bus lane. To top it all, Beggan was alone in an acre of space on the 20m.
https://youtu.be/tMVHhGj_Oh8?t=485
It was dreadful defensively
Why not foul in the corner if we were going to foul.

Main Street

Quote from: naka on July 04, 2023, 07:24:10 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 04, 2023, 03:50:04 PM
Not wishing to stick the boot in out of glee but the defensive set up for that last play was píss poor. Armagh went man to man,  Monaghan players then moved to locate themselves away from the space between the 21 and 45, even players took their willing dedicated marker towards both sidelines. Once the ball got moving, then  McCarron takes his marker out of harm's way. There was so much space opened up between the 45 and 20m lines. McManus received the ball, (the clutch legend) could spin around his lone marker using the ring road bus lane. To top it all, Beggan was alone in an acre of space on the 20m.
https://youtu.be/tMVHhGj_Oh8?t=485
It was dreadful defensively
Why not foul in the corner if we were going to foul.
I'd say Armagh had no plan for this eventual last play, whereas Monaghan had their move all worked out, just look at McCarron who deftly takes his marker away so McManus can turn into space.
The end result, everybodys talking about the legend that is McManus,  meanwhile Rian's marvelous score (of the game) gets relegated to a statistic.

restorepride

Bottom line is Armagh's fear of losing this year has been greater than their composure  to win. Should have won Ulster, should have beaten Monaghan. Can learn from these last two years though and are next in line for an Ulster title.

tonto1888

Quote from: restorepride on July 04, 2023, 10:59:56 PM
Bottom line is Armagh's fear of losing this year has been greater than their composure  to win. Should have won Ulster, should have beaten Monaghan. Can learn from these last two years though and are next in line for an Ulster title.

Are they really?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: seafoid on July 04, 2023, 06:20:09 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 04, 2023, 05:48:46 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 04, 2023, 05:39:11 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 04, 2023, 04:11:11 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure there were crazier scenes with the Dub supporters in a game against Tyrone in the mid 80s.
Derry as well, pitch invasion and slaps

Of course there was worse, but there were no mobile phones and gobshites posting their idiocy on Instagram and the like.
While on the other hand people in general these days are a bit more polished

I think the point is to stop pearl clutching. there have always been slaps at games. Infrequent but we all remember them. Talk of seating the Hill over this is madness.

Shouldn't have happened but lets not lose the run here.

Derryman forever

I was at a munster final in 1974, and there was a fracas on the hill, and while iI didn't see it myself i was told at least one person  produced a knife.

The crowd scattered to the 4 winds but it was all over in a couple of minutes or less.

giveballaghback

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 05, 2023, 11:49:14 AM
I was at a munster final in 1974, and there was a fracas on the hill, and while iI didn't see it myself i was told at least one person  produced a knife.

The crowd scattered to the 4 winds but it was all over in a couple of minutes or less.
Ah lads.

Derryman forever

Quote from: giveballaghback on July 05, 2023, 12:56:30 PM

Ah lads.

You don't believe me?

restorepride

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 05, 2023, 08:24:08 AM
Quote from: restorepride on July 04, 2023, 10:59:56 PM

Are they really?
I honestly believe so. They really aren't far away.

full moon

Far worse happens on the streets these days. I wouldn't be worried since there were no serious injuries and it's not a regular occurrence.

The statement from Croke Park HQ at closing Hill 16 is absurd. What's the agenda with these guys, "behave or we'll take your precious terraces away" . Just like they took away cash at gates and brought in a paywall app not on TV.

Seems like they're just thinking we can get more money by putting seats instead of the terrace? Honestly the obsession with money making now in GAA at the expense of fans is reaching new levels.

Baile Brigín 2

Ah lads.
Stuff like that happened all the time - i definitely recall a story in primary school to be careful of students from a school we were playing as there was knifeplay in or around Croker previously. Derry and Dublin had a mental dingdong in the 80's with bottles flying.

It's rare but it's not new

rrhf

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 05, 2023, 04:32:03 PM

Ah lads.
Stuff like that happened all the time - i definitely recall a story in primary school to be careful of students from a school we were playing as there was knifeplay in or around Croker previously. Derry and Dublin had a mental dingdong in the 80's with bottles flying.

This shouldn't have happened...What the hell was Derry doing in Croker in the 1980s...

lenny

Quote from: rrhf on July 05, 2023, 08:49:11 PM

Ah lads.

This shouldn't have happened...What the hell was Derry doing in Croker in the 1980s...

Sounds plausible. The Dublin fans were most likely there to support Meath v Derry in 1987. Definitely sounds like it could be true.

tonto1888

Quote from: lenny on July 05, 2023, 08:58:31 PM

Ah lads.

Sounds plausible. The Dublin fans were most likely there to support Meath v Derry in 1987. Definitely sounds like it could be true.

Nobody said it was in CP

Baile Brigín 2

Ah lads.

70's and Kerry. Brainfog