Tyrone vs Armagh - 3rd June 7pm - Healy Park, Omagh.

Started by samuel maguire, May 31, 2023, 10:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Quote from: marty34 on June 05, 2023, 10:59:36 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 05, 2023, 06:05:18 PM
I do have wonder what they coach, coaching a tackle from 12, it was tackle with 1 hand and keep the other out, now county players seem to come in frailing with slaps all over the man, with little direction in trying to hit the ball to dislodge.

Do underage coaches ever coach the tackle?
At Go Games all I hear from the coaches is hand in, hand out but looking at the wee lad slapping intently with both hands...that he doesn't understand what hand in, hand out actually means.

I know as a coach that we try to coach the tackle surely. Then you go to games and players are allowed to be battered with a closed fist and you wonder why you bother.

Quote from: JoG2 on June 05, 2023, 06:08:09 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 05, 2023, 06:05:18 PM
I do have wonder what they coach, coaching a tackle from 12, it was tackle with 1 hand and keep the other out, now county players seem to come in frailing with slaps all over the man, with little direction in trying to hit the ball to dislodge.

1 on 1 maybe, but if there's 3/4 of them doing at once, man in possession gets punished.

The county lads do defo still go with the near hand one on one for the most part IMO.  It is clear though that the majority of the time it isnt about dispossessing the player, it is about slowing them up and getting them to either go backwards or fall into a trap of 3/4 players.

trailer

When I coached the youth I for sure coached near hand in, wait for a bounce or a solo. But we also got them to think about even being close to the player in possession, put pressure on, will they drop the ball?, kick it away?, foul it? force them into a mistake. It's not always about a super clean tackle. Yes and for sure cut off their forward progression, get them stopped, slow the attack up, allow your team to get back.
Battering with a closed fist 95% of the time results in a free.

Wildweasel74

Used to be, made the tackle on the 4th step as they have to solo/bound, nowadays they get that many steps, you can't judge the solo/bound.

HiMucker

Anyone listen to the GAA socials latest episode? Uncle Oisin thinks Rian wasnt protected enough by the referee. Watched the match, don't buy that for a second.

Applesisapples

Not condoning what Rian did unless I see conclusive proof that he was pulled down. However hi profile players like Rian, Clifford and McGuigan do come in for extra attention.

CK_Redhand

The thing I don't understand is that McConville said he was told by a ref that the best players would be protected, this being a directive for all refs this year.

Who decides on these best players? If David Clifford has a bad game is he removed from the list and the ref doesn't protect him next day out? Preposterous.

imtommygunn

His point of his player being fouled 15 times in one half and 7 times by one specific player is ridiculous though. What was that ref doing?

CK_Redhand

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 08, 2023, 05:02:16 PM
His point of his player being fouled 15 times in one half and 7 times by one specific player is ridiculous though. What was that ref doing?
I can't remember exactly what was said on the podcast. Was it mentioned if it was 15 times frees called by the ref, or 15 times McConville thought there was a foul? Big difference.

I agree on the broader point though persistent fouling is a blight on the game and there are rules there to sanction offenders. If the ref calls fouls committed by the same player repeatedly and does not produce a card then the referee assessment panel should pull him up on it.

imtommygunn

Quote from: CK_Redhand on June 08, 2023, 05:09:54 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 08, 2023, 05:02:16 PM
I can't remember exactly what was said on the podcast. Was it mentioned if it was 15 times frees called by the ref, or 15 times McConville thought there was a foul? Big difference.

I agree on the broader point though persistent fouling is a blight on the game and there are rules there to sanction offenders. If the ref calls fouls committed by the same player repeatedly and does not produce a card then the referee assessment panel should pull him up on it.

I kind of assumed the former or else it was just a rant...