Sam Maguire Group 2 - Galway, Armagh, Tyrone, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaillimhIarthair

We are in the preliminary QFs on merit!  That was a shambles of a performance there today.  Our inability to convert good goal chances has been a serious problem all year and it reared its ugly head again today.  Missed a few kickable frees also.  Regardless of the draw, we will have our hands full with whoever we get for next weekend and that will be made a hell of a lot tougher if neither Kelly or Comer are available.  It will be a serious test of our so called squad depth!  Hard to see us make late July after today unfortunately.

Best of luck to Armagh for the remainder of the championship.

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on June 18, 2023, 09:52:24 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on June 18, 2023, 09:44:55 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 18, 2023, 09:39:37 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on June 18, 2023, 09:36:07 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 18, 2023, 09:28:43 PM
Quote from: galwayman on June 18, 2023, 09:12:14 PM
We have made it extremely tough for ourselves now.
Today was further proof - as if it were needed - that we are not the same team without Damo.
It's better to have him injured for that match than in the business end.
Things change so quickly, I've being saying to anyone who'll listen it's Galway for Sam this year but you could be out on yer hole next weekend if Kelly, Comer and the other lad are struggling for fitness. Unbeknownst to everyone the business end started this weekend.
8 teams have to go before the semi finals. That's when the business end starts imo
And if you're not there it's none of your business, I'd be more concerned about next weekend if I were from Galway.
It all depends on the draw. We can't get Tyrone. That leaves Ros, Monaghan  and Mayo. Galway are better than last 12. Even in 2018 they were.
None of those 3 are nailed on. And I would be very surprised if Armagh got to the final.

A rested Kerry,Dublin or Derry for Galway if they reach the Quarter final now and that Quarter final will be their 3rd match in 14 days.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on June 18, 2023, 09:59:20 PM
We are in the preliminary QFs on merit!  That was a shambles of a performance there today.  Our inability to convert good goal chances has been a serious problem all year and it reared its ugly head again today.  Missed a few kickable frees also.  Regardless of the draw, we will have our hands full with whoever we get for next weekend and that will be made a hell of a lot tougher if neither Kelly or Comer are available.  It will be a serious test of our so called squad depth!  Hard to see us make late July after today unfortunately.

Best of luck to Armagh for the remainder of the championship.
We're goosed given the lads out, that loss feels like a championship ender tonight, absolutely sick after it. Not playing well as is up front and facing into a rested Kerry, Derry or Dubs for the dreaded 3rd week on the bounce even if we win the preliminary Q final? Forget it.

Orior

Quote from: screenexile on June 18, 2023, 04:58:31 PM
6,803 attendance 🤣🤣

How many were at the Westmeath v Tyrone match?

How many at the Derry v Clare match yesterday?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

RedHand88

Quote from: Orior on June 18, 2023, 10:06:56 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 18, 2023, 04:58:31 PM
6,803 attendance 🤣🤣

How many were at the Westmeath v Tyrone match?

How many at the Derry v Clare match yesterday?

Irrelevant. None of those 4 counties asked for their game to be moved to Croke Park to accommodate their crowd.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: bennydorano on June 18, 2023, 06:53:53 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 18, 2023, 06:48:25 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 18, 2023, 06:46:56 PM
I doubt even Croke Park is big enough to house all the Armagh fans after that. Maybe play it in Phoenix Park.

Down might play in the warm up game before us in the 1/4 finals.....

Might head to CP, can't bate a bandwagon
Premium level I hope. Need the prawn sambos.

Bare minimum....she might be working at it so I'll get all of that!

bennydorano

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on June 18, 2023, 09:28:04 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on June 18, 2023, 09:09:06 PM
Armagh homecoming plans tomorrow. The team will meet fans at the Carrickdale Hotel at 2pm for a drinks reception. From there they will make their way to Crossmaglen GAC pitch where thousands are expected to be in attendance to greet their heroes. The bus is expected at around 4pm.
In the evening time, the main event of the festivities will be on the Mall in Armagh at 7pm where tens of thousands are expected to gather to see the team on stage with the Finished Top of Group 2 Cup.

You have little to be at  ::)
The same boys who were hypothesising about losing by just enough to Westmeath in the hope that Galway would beat Armagh into not qualifying  ::) the numbers of cretins in their ranks here grows.

clarshack

RTE highlights don't even show the missed Westmeath free at the end. That's poor stuff.

From the Bunker

Quote from: clarshack on June 18, 2023, 10:13:49 PM
RTE highlights don't even show the missed Westmeath free at the end. That's poor stuff.

Yeah, was wondering what Dessie Dolan was on about, when he talked of missed frees!

From the Bunker

BrotherMore6592

Quote from: bennydorano on June 18, 2023, 10:11:52 PM
Quote from: anportmorforjfc on June 18, 2023, 09:28:04 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on June 18, 2023, 09:09:06 PM
Armagh homecoming plans tomorrow. The team will meet fans at the Carrickdale Hotel at 2pm for a drinks reception. From there they will make their way to Crossmaglen GAC pitch where thousands are expected to be in attendance to greet their heroes. The bus is expected at around 4pm.
In the evening time, the main event of the festivities will be on the Mall in Armagh at 7pm where tens of thousands are expected to gather to see the team on stage with the Finished Top of Group 2 Cup.

You have little to be at  ::)
The same boys who were hypothesising about losing by just enough to Westmeath in the hope that Galway would beat Armagh into not qualifying  ::) the numbers of cretins in their ranks here grows.

The very clear evidence that most Armagh fans on here are hero members or long serving rank tells you all you need to know.

Spend most of their time on a message board - an echo chamber for them since the early 2000s, banging at the keyboard back in the day while their neighbours won 3 in the one decade.

The recent AI from Tyrone could not have come at a worse time for them, they were on the "uprising" over the last few years, whilst strangely also having won nothing of note. Jesus, even Cavan and Monaghan have won Ulster in their wee purple patches over the last 10 years or so.

Now, in a last ditch desperate attempt; they've gone all out this summer to ram down the country's throats that they have the best fans because that's what they're clinging on to, even McGeeney is under pressure.

It's very enjoyable I must say. It's not fair that Derry managed to get their act together and challenge tyrone and Donegal, why can't poor orchard lads get a go

imtommygunn

Conroy clipped murnin's heels. It was a definite free. The second or third last one they scored from wasn't a free mind you...

clarshack

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 18, 2023, 10:15:42 PM
Quote from: clarshack on June 18, 2023, 10:13:49 PM

Yeah, was wondering what Dessie Dolan was on about, when he talked of missed frees!

They ended up showing it in the analysis but then completely missed the most controversial talking point in the game. Pathetic.

Edit: they got to it eventually after showing other games.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 18, 2023, 10:22:22 PM
Conroy clipped murnin's heels. It was a definite free. The second or third last one they scored from wasn't a free mind you...

Just watched it frame by frame there. Not much evidence he tripped him. If anything it looked like he tripped himself.

CK_Redhand

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on June 18, 2023, 08:20:13 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on June 18, 2023, 07:25:12 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on June 18, 2023, 06:54:15 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 18, 2023, 06:10:49 PM
It was stone wall. No other way about it. Though few other frees were weak as well, but in the usual bias viewing of your own team. But that call was just ridiculous. You could not have got a better example of where it should be implemented. I do not understand how a ref could get it so wrong. The players were in space so viewing was easy, there was no other potential defender to muddy the water. There was no grey area. The only explanation I can think of is that the ref obviously doesn't understand the rule, which would be a bit of a concern.
On the grand scheme it doesn't matter much, but imagine if that happened in a big game.
I'm not sure it is as cut & dried as you think though my understanding of the rules might not be 100%. I was under the impression that the foul had to be one of the black card offences. If so, which one is it? I don't think it would be a black card anywhere elsewhere on the pitch.

That said, it should be written into the rules.

Quote5.41 Notwithstanding provisions of existing Playing
Rules 2.2 Exception (i), 5 and specifically 5.40, if one of the following infractions-
(a) To deliberately pull down an opponent (5.10) or
(b) To deliberately trip an opponent with hand (s),arm, leg, or foot, (5.11) or
(c) To deliberately collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away or for the purpose of taking him out of the movement of play (5.12)  is committed on an attacking player who or, in the case of a Rule 5.12 (Football) Infraction, his team, is denied of a goal-scoring opportunity, as defined in Important Terms and Definitions 9, the following penalties shall apply:
(i) A Penalty Kick shall be awarded to the team affected.
(ii) The offender shall be issued with a BlackCard and be sent to the Sin Bin for 10 minutes.

I think the ref must have deceided that it wasn't a pull down - it was a pull back.

Why the rules committee drafted the rule this way I will never fathom - you see it all the time that defenders will do their best to pull/drag the player back but do their damdest not to make it look like they are pulling the player down in the direction of the ground.

Yeah, so my interpretation was right.

I'm with the ref that it wasn't a deliberate pull down.

I'm also with you that the rule is poorly written or just plain wrong.
Sorry for creating a mega-quote.
The incident today falls under part c surely so the result should have been black card and penalty. What is the argument against that?