Sam Maguire Group 2 - Galway, Armagh, Tyrone, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAABoardMod5

May 20th   Galway v Tyrone, Pearse Stadium, 5.15pm, GAAGO
May 27th   Armagh vs Westmeath, BOX-IT Athletic Grounds, 4.45pm, GAAGO

Jun 3rd   Westmeath v Galway, TEG Cusack Park, 5pm
Jun 3rd   Tyrone v Armagh, Healy Park, 7pm, (RTÉ)

June 17/18   Galway v Armagh, TBD
June 17/18   Tyrone v Westmeath, TBD

GAABoardMod5

Some games might get a thread of their own - like the Tyrone/Armagh game - but discussions on other games might be kept under the Group heading...

Tables will be updated after each round is complete.


GalwayBayBoy


tbrick18

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 24, 2023, 11:37:43 AM
The Group of Buckfast.

;D ;D

Of all the groups this one is the most evenly matched.
Tyrone are improving I feel, but I don't think they'll challenge for honours.
I think Armagh are not as good as some think, but that game between Tyrone and Armagh will be massive.
Westmeath will fancy their chances, but I dont see them beating any of the others.
I'd predict a 1,2,3 of Galway, Tyrone, Armagh in this group.

Armagh18

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 24, 2023, 12:17:17 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 24, 2023, 11:37:43 AM
The Group of Buckfast.

;D ;D

Of all the groups this one is the most evenly matched.
Tyrone are improving I feel, but I don't think they'll challenge for honours.
I think Armagh are not as good as some think, but that game between Tyrone and Armagh will be massive.
Westmeath will fancy their chances, but I dont see them beating any of the others.
I'd predict a 1,2,3 of Galway, Tyrone, Armagh in this group.
We're probably slight underdogs vs both Tyrone and Galway but also capable of beating both. Can't take the eye of the Westmeath game though.

seafoid

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 24, 2023, 12:17:17 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 24, 2023, 11:37:43 AM
The Group of Buckfast.

;D ;D

Of all the groups this one is the most evenly matched.
Tyrone are improving I feel, but I don't think they'll challenge for honours.
I think Armagh are not as good as some think, but that game between Tyrone and Armagh will be massive.
Westmeath will fancy their chances, but I dont see them beating any of the others.
I'd predict a 1,2,3 of Galway, Tyrone, Armagh in this group.
It's definitely an interesting group.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Fuzzman

If Armagh beat Westmeath, lose to Tyrone but beat Galway they'll have 4 points.
In such a scenario you'd imagine Galway will also be on 4 points if they beat Westmeath
So all three could be on 4 points having lost one match each and won the other two.

So will score difference be the deciding factor in that scenario?
As someone already said elsewhere, I suppose the team that finishes third will want to be avoiding Kerry, assuming they come second now after Mayo.
Is Burns suspended for just one game?

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Manning18

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 24, 2023, 01:52:41 PM
If Armagh beat Westmeath, lose to Tyrone but beat Galway they'll have 4 points.
In such a scenario you'd imagine Galway will also be on 4 points if they beat Westmeath
So all three could be on 4 points having lost one match each and won the other two.

So will score difference be the deciding factor in that scenario?
As someone already said elsewhere, I suppose the team that finishes third will want to be avoiding Kerry, assuming they come second now after Mayo.
Is Burns suspended for just one game?

Score diff yep. Very realistic possibility. In that scenario you'd probably give Tyrone the slight advantage as they'll be up against Westmeath last and may know what they need, and westmeaths challenge could peter out of they know they're 100% out
"one day the truth will be known" larryin89 14/01/24

Estimator

#10
Quote from: Manning18 on May 24, 2023, 04:52:03 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 24, 2023, 01:52:41 PM
If Armagh beat Westmeath, lose to Tyrone but beat Galway they'll have 4 points.
In such a scenario you'd imagine Galway will also be on 4 points if they beat Westmeath
So all three could be on 4 points having lost one match each and won the other two.

So will score difference be the deciding factor in that scenario?
As someone already said elsewhere, I suppose the team that finishes third will want to be avoiding Kerry, assuming they come second now after Mayo.
Is Burns suspended for just one game?

Score diff yep. Very realistic possibility. In that scenario you'd probably give Tyrone the slight advantage as they'll be up against Westmeath last and may know what they need, and westmeaths challenge could peter out of they know they're 100% out

But Westmeath won't be 100% out before the Tyrone game.

Only two games played each before Tyrone meet Westmeath.
And if the fixtures pan out as Fuzzman has suggested above, with two games played the league will look like this.
Galway - 4pts
Armagh - 2pts 
Tyrone - 2pts
Westmeath - 0pts

If Westmeath turn over Tyrone in that last game (big if) then you might end up with 3 teams on 2pts.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Tyrone could conceivably lose narrowly to Armagh then draw with Westmeath and still advance, making it into the knockout stage with 1 draw and 3 defeats from 4 Championship games.

seafoid

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on May 25, 2023, 12:53:28 PM
Tyrone could conceivably lose narrowly to Armagh then draw with Westmeath and still advance, making it into the knockout stage with 1 draw and 3 defeats from 4 Championship games.
Any qualifying team could
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Manning18

Quote from: Estimator on May 25, 2023, 09:14:26 AM
Quote from: Manning18 on May 24, 2023, 04:52:03 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 24, 2023, 01:52:41 PM
If Armagh beat Westmeath, lose to Tyrone but beat Galway they'll have 4 points.
In such a scenario you'd imagine Galway will also be on 4 points if they beat Westmeath
So all three could be on 4 points having lost one match each and won the other two.

So will score difference be the deciding factor in that scenario?
As someone already said elsewhere, I suppose the team that finishes third will want to be avoiding Kerry, assuming they come second now after Mayo.
Is Burns suspended for just one game?

Score diff yep. Very realistic possibility. In that scenario you'd probably give Tyrone the slight advantage as they'll be up against Westmeath last and may know what they need, and westmeaths challenge could peter out of they know they're 100% out

But Westmeath won't be 100% out before the Tyrone game.

Only two games played each before Tyrone meet Westmeath.
And if the fixtures pan out as Fuzzman has suggested above, with two games played the league will look like this.
Galway - 4pts
Armagh - 2pts 
Tyrone - 2pts
Westmeath - 0pts

If Westmeath turn over Tyrone in that last game (big if) then you might end up with 3 teams on 2pts.

No, the scenario is that Westmeath are say 8 points down in that last game to Tyrone, know their season is over at that point, and fade away to allow Tyrone a big score, which would prove pivotal if 3 teams finished with 4 points. They're unlikely to do that late in the games v Armagh and Galway when they'll still have much to play for in the championship
"one day the truth will be known" larryin89 14/01/24

larryin89

Pressure is on Galway , lots of write ups over the last few weeks about them , the latest being Peter canavan saying if they met Mayo in a final they'd beat them . All or nothing now for Padraigeen and his band of fancy dans .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .