Your most memorable GAA Inter County game not involving your own county.

Started by anportmorforjfc, May 18, 2023, 09:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Armamike on May 19, 2023, 12:42:30 PM
Offaly Kerry 82 - seismic. The team that couldn't be beaten
Dublin Tyrone 95 - maybe the most controversial final ever
Dublin Cork Galway 83 - the pure nastiness and spitefulness of the match

I know for sure, because I was at it, and yes, it was surely dripping in malice and spite!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

urbangael

Kerry v tyrone All Ireland Final 2005.  Canavan & Mulligan were poetry in motion! We won the minors that day :)

rrhf

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 19, 2023, 12:46:11 PM
That sounds class. Now read the thread title again 😉😂😂
[/quote
Any chance LOL
first match Kerry V Derbys Offaly. I wrote in primary school about it the next day. A day etched in folkore featuring immortal footballers and the 3 ps.. a push, a powerful instinctive shot, and and a punch in the air.   
Mc Crory cup final: St Pats Maghera V St Colmans - James Mc Cartan scoring an unbelievable losing hat trick.
Down V Meath 1991. Ulster teams didnt win all Irelands, couldnt believe what I had just witnessed... and with it a lifechanging sense of hope that Tyrone could do it sometime...

larryin89

Galway v Kerry in the rain , croker , can't remember what year it was maybe 08 ish .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Throw ball

Quote from: larryin89 on May 19, 2023, 03:47:45 PM
Galway v Kerry in the rain , croker , can't remember what year it was maybe 08 ish .

Definitely 2008.

Armagh lost to Wexford in first game.

Fuzzman

That must be Wexford's biggest victory in recent years I presume.

Tyrone beat them in the semi final 1.14 to 0.23, having hammered the Dubs in the quarters.
Hard to believe that could have been another Armagh v Tyrone semi-final and I'd say Armagh  probably had one eye on the semi when playing Wexford.

joemamas

Offaly V Kerry 1982
Tyrone V Kerry 2005
Mayo V Kerry 2017 both the draw and replay.
Kerry V Dublin 1975 first one I remember being at,
The heartbreak of all Mayo's all Ireland losses very bad reasons.

Galway V Tipperary Hurling final 1988

screenexile

Was at the Dublin Tyrone AIQF in 2005 and thought it was electric and a great game of football. It had absolutely everything and Mulligans goal lifted the roof off the place.

Armamike

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 19, 2023, 12:51:16 PM
Quote from: Armamike on May 19, 2023, 12:42:30 PM
Offaly Kerry 82 - seismic. The team that couldn't be beaten
Dublin Tyrone 95 - maybe the most controversial final ever
Dublin Cork Galway 83 - the pure nastiness and spitefulness of the match

I know for sure, because I was at it, and yes, it was surely dripping in malice and spite!  ;)

Yes of course, Galway!  There was a tasty Dublin Cork match round that time as well - was it the semi final that year?
That's just, like your opinion man.

Armagh18

Quote from: Throw ball on May 19, 2023, 04:43:58 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on May 19, 2023, 03:47:45 PM

Definitely 2008.

Armagh lost to Wexford in first game.
Don't talk about that one.

Wildweasel74

Kerry v Offaly '82, one of the greatest teams I ever seen up against the greatest player I ever seen plus with side cast half of which were cousins. And of course the unknown hero who came off the bench to win the day. I was sad at the time Kerry didnt win 5 in a row, but it been a travesty if a player like Matt Connor never won an All-Ireland.

tonto1888

As an Armagh man it would be easy to say the 02 final but I'm gonna go for the 99 Ulster final. First ulster win in can remember - I was born in 1980 so don't remember 82 - and just to be there that day was class. The fact we hammered the neighbours topped it off

Armaghtothebone

Can't believe no-one has mentioned Down v Derry Celtic Park 1994.
Unbelievable game.

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 20, 2023, 12:24:09 AM
Kerry v Offaly '82, one of the greatest teams I ever seen up against the greatest player I ever seen plus with side cast half of which were cousins. And of course the unknown hero who came off the bench to win the day. I was sad at the time Kerry didnt win 5 in a row, but it been a travesty if a player like Matt Connor never won an All-Ireland.

Agree WW. Connor was as good a footballer as ever laced a pair of boots.
Shame his career was cut short.