Galway v Tyrone Pearse Stadium 20/5/23 at 5:15pm

Started by Blowitupref, May 17, 2023, 05:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Quote from: seafoid on May 17, 2023, 09:58:09 PM
I remember 95. We were excited after winning Connacht for the first time in a while and getting past Mayo but Tyrone had a player called Canavan who was the real deal. In reality we didn't have the full set of footballers and had to wait another 3 years to get it. Tyrone were deserving winners of the semi but got a raw deal in the final as the ref gave the Dubs the football equivalent of a sympathy f**k following serial all Ireland final defeats and Tyrone had to wait another 8 years for Sam.
That's basically how Peter Canavan described it at an event last week.  Not in so many words. 

Wildweasel74

People forget Tyrone scored 2 from play over 70mins in that game.

square_ball

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 17, 2023, 11:04:05 PM

Do points from frees not count the same?

bennydorano

Quote from: square_ball on May 17, 2023, 11:09:20 PM

Do points from frees not count the same?
Yeah, I always think it's an idiotic stat to rely on, the scores have come from frees because an attacker has been fouled in the scoring zone.

screenexile

They also forget Tyrone were completely average with only about 3 good players!

trueblue1234

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 17, 2023, 09:51:45 PM
Quote from: screenexile on May 17, 2023, 09:33:25 PM
There was rumour of a feisty challenge game v Mayo recently has anybody heard anything else about this??

I think Rouse mentioned it on the Examiner podcast.

Heard Mayo gave Tyrone a bit of trimming and Tyrone didn't take it too kindly with rows breaking out on a number of occasions.
Different from what I heard. Was a close game by all accounts.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

RoundBall

There were 2 challenge games. "A" teams and "B" teams, Tyrone won both but may have picked up an injury or two.
An Ríocht Uí Néill

cadhlancian

Quote from: screenexile on May 17, 2023, 11:23:09 PM

Average enough to beat the best Derry team you ever had with 13 men  ;)

An Watcher

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Manning18 on May 17, 2023, 08:07:16 PM
Quote from: galwayman on May 17, 2023, 07:03:02 PM
Any pubs in Salthill have GaaGo? Pucan in town the only place I know that has it for sure

Rob Finnerty's oul fella will surely have it set up.

Whoever's organizing has put all tickets as general admission, meaning actual normal football fans who'd like to watch another big game beforehand are probably screwed for a seat in the stand.

This somewhat new practice of GAA fans heading into games 90 mins + before throw in is odd behavior at best and a scourge at worst. Toddlers/pensioners etc aside

I assume there is no where near the ground and any chance will be in Salthill itself of getting the Mayo Kerry game?

No chance of getting enough coverage at the ground to stream it you'd imagine. Annoying that with unreserved seating you have to be in so early with a game like that on before hand. What sort of crowd would you expect on Saturday? 10-12,000 kinda thing?

Hoping the break has did Tyrone good and they've regrouped and worked on putting the defence together. I don't think we're as far of it as some people think but will be a big ask going to Galway and turning them over.

seafoid

Quote from: Rois on May 17, 2023, 10:50:07 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 17, 2023, 09:58:09 PM
I remember 95. We were excited after winning Connacht for the first time in a while and getting past Mayo but Tyrone had a player called Canavan who was the real deal. In reality we didn't have the full set of footballers and had to wait another 3 years to get it. Tyrone were deserving winners of the semi but got a raw deal in the final as the ref gave the Dubs the football equivalent of a sympathy f**k following serial all Ireland final defeats and Tyrone had to wait another 8 years for Sam.
That's basically how Peter Canavan described it at an event last week.  Not in so many words.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/tyrone-s-success-gives-feargal-logan-relief-from-the-pain-of-1995-1.4671866

Tyrone's success gives Feargal Logan relief from the pain of 1995
Saturday's win was particularly sweet for Tyrone's joint-manager after past experience

Malachy Clerkin

For a second on Saturday night, Feargal Logan looked as if he was going to fish out his phone and start reading from it.
One of the questions we asked him was , given that he had had such a grim experience in the one All-Ireland final he played in – 1995, the Dubs, the last-gasp disallowed point, etc – whether or not this meant more to him than it did to his co-manager Brian Dooher.
Dooher was sitting beside him, by the way. And judging by the half-harrumph, half-smirk he gave when he heard the question, we were all lucky that Tyrone had actually won the thing. You take your life in your hands when you suggest that winning an All-Ireland means more to anybody than it does to Brian Dooher.
Logan is, above and beyond everything else, however, his own man. And rather than bat the question away, his bearing visibly sagged ever so slightly as he began to answer. That 1995 final could have been the greatest day of his life and only the tiniest margin – a referee seeing a ball picked up off the ground when it had in fact bounced up – ruined it on him.
And now, 26 years later, even the glow of finally getting up the Hogan steps, even then he couldn't be blithe about what that defeat had meant. Not just for him but for the Tyrone team around him that day. Some of them, as Peter Canavan outlined in these pages on Saturday, got to slay the demons in the 2000s. But most of them didn't. Tiny margins, big consequences.
"In the immortal words of Páidí Ó Sé, a grain of rice tips the balance," Logan said. "That's what you live or die by in football. You can be very sore as a manager when you go home and that grain of rice tips against you. It was small margins today but probably the goals set us up. Goals win matches and we were lucky to get them. They worked and our midfield were outstanding.
"It probably does [mean more to me], in truth. There's no getting away from the fact that 1995 was a very, very painful day for Tyrone. And in particular for the lads, the '95 lads who I ran with back in the day and still would run with. I took all their names in my phone here and I'd love to give them all a shout out.

"I'd love to see them printed tomorrow to say, 'Listen lads, that's one that got away.' We partly redeemed it here. We didn't redeem it as players but in my mind anyway this is somewhat of a redemption."
He did go rummaging in his pocket for a second but didn't actually take out his phone and start listing off names. So what the hell, let's do it for him anyway. Finbar McConnell. Paul Devlin. Fay Devlin. Ronan McGarrity. Séamus McCallan. Seán McLaughlin. Jody Gormley. Ciarán Corr. Pascal Canavan. Ciarán Loughran. Ciarán McBride. Stephen Lawn. Mattie McGleenan. Brian Gormley. Paul Donnelly. Chris Lawn and Peter Canavan were there too but they got their medals eventually.
Logan was talking about the others, members of that small circle of GAA players from down the decades who got their one shot at glory and didn't take it. Most players never get to a final. Half that do go home as made men for life. The other half carry with them heads filled with regrets. For some it dissipates. For others, it's that small shadow on the X-ray of their life. Always there, always black, never benign.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: screenexile on May 17, 2023, 11:23:09 PM

It wasn't in the same class as the Tyrone side of the following decade but very few teams were. "Completely average with only about 3 good players" is though of course a ridiculous statement. Most of those men had been outstanding u21 players. They won back to back Ulsters at a time when the province was exceptionally competitive (and coming off 4 AIs in a row). It must be said that they didn't perform well enough in the AI semi or final. That said, had Cush and McGleenan been fit for the final the attacking options would have been much stronger and Tyrone would likely have won. Similary the 96 team with Cavlan and Dooher was another step up - but so were Meath. For all that, Tyrone still only lost by a point in controversial circumstances. They can't have been too bad ;D. As a pedant too I must say, it was 1-13 to 0-13 against Galway and not 0-14.

Have no idea what to expect Saturday with Tyrone having a stop start season and no real pattern of form since 2021. There were flashes in the league and indeed a positive first half against Monaghan but a lot of poor enough showings too. Not beyond them to turn it around but as it stands it's hard to be overly optimistic. Dooher and Logan certainly need a good couple of months to show they are the men to take the team on, if that's what they want to do.

Whishtup

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 17, 2023, 09:51:45 PM
Quote from: screenexile on May 17, 2023, 09:33:25 PM
There was rumour of a feisty challenge game v Mayo recently has anybody heard anything else about this??

I think Rouse mentioned it on the Examiner podcast.

Heard Mayo gave Tyrone a bit of trimming and Tyrone didn't take it too kindly with rows breaking out on a number of occasions.
Also heard Kildare gave a full strength Mayo a going over. Gaago should be showing these challenge matches. Do all teams do them?are they built on relationships of management teams?

trailer

I'm quietly confident about Tyrone. Think they will turn Galway over.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: trailer on May 18, 2023, 10:54:36 AM
I'm quietly confident about Tyrone. Think they will turn Galway over.

Sssh!....  Some on here think we're the 2022 model, and not of the 2021 vintage!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...