1995 All-Ireland semi final
Tyrone 1-13 Galway 0-14

2004 round 3 Qualifier
Tyrone 1-16 Galway 0-11

Odds for this game

Galway 8/15
Tyrone 9/4
Draw 9/1

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Tyrone had a nice long break to get organised
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

smort

galwayman

Any pubs in Salthill have GaaGo? Pucan in town the only place I know that has it for sure 

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on May 17, 2023, 06:01:48 PM
Tyrone had a nice long break to get organised

Can Tyrone get organised especially defensively is the main question. Last two championship matches last year they conceded 1-18 and 1-16 to Derry,Armagh. Their one championship match this year they conceded 2-17 to Monaghan. 

Manning18

Quote from: galwayman on May 17, 2023, 07:03:02 PM
Any pubs in Salthill have GaaGo? Pucan in town the only place I know that has it for sure

Rob Finnerty's oul fella will surely have it set up.

Whoever's organizing has put all tickets as general admission, meaning actual normal football fans who'd like to watch another big game beforehand are probably screwed for a seat in the stand.

This somewhat new practice of GAA fans heading into games 90 mins + before throw in is odd behavior at best and a scourge at worst. Toddlers/pensioners etc aside

galwayman

Quote from: Manning18 on May 17, 2023, 08:07:16 PM
Quote from: galwayman on May 17, 2023, 07:03:02 PM

Rob Finnerty's oul fella will surely have it set up.

Whoever's organizing has put all tickets as general admission, meaning actual normal football fans who'd like to watch another big game beforehand are probably screwed for a seat in the stand.

This somewhat new practice of GAA fans heading into games 90 mins + before throw in is odd behavior at best and a scourge at worst. Toddlers/pensioners etc aside
Yeah Wards was my first thought. They don't seem to have a social media presence though.
Worst case will stream it on the phone

Derryman forever

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 17, 2023, 05:59:19 PM
This will be the 5th championship meeting between the two

1956 All-Ireland semi final
Galway 0-8 Tyrone 0-6

1986 All-Ireland semi final
Tyrone 1-12 Galway 1-9

1995 All-Ireland semi final
Tyrone 1-13 Galway 0-14

2004 round 3 Qualifier
Tyrone 1-16 Galway 0-11

Odds for this game

Galway 8/15
Tyrone 9/4
Draw 9/1

I am just admiring these massive scores from back in the day, when teams were all out attacking, and every game was a shootout by the most skilful of players, playing in the latter stages of the competition.
We never see scorelines like that anymore.

An Fhairche Abu

I think the winners of All Ireland will be one of the teams that tops their group so this is a massive game for Galway and Tyrone, the loser of this match has slim to none chance of getting that number one position in Group 2 with a really tough match against Armagh to come without points on the board.

Can't say that it's a match I'm looking forward to, would have plenty of trepidation about Tyrone and we could have got an easier team from pot 3 for sure. Have immense respect for what Tyrone have achieved since 2003 in becoming one of the consistent football counties at the very top, have been far better than Galway and we are trying to get up to that level now. Hard to believe we haven't played championship at some point since we were thumped in CP for John O'Mahony's last game as manager. That Galway team were yesterday's men at that stage but I'd say few of us leaving the stadium that day realised how far down the tubes Galway football was going to go for the next ten plus years.

Even when Galway have not been great, they have managed to hang in games this year. League final and to a lesser extent the round 3 match against Roscommon have been the only real concerning performances where there was little positive to take from it.
This Saturday is all about the players performing and showing up, Comer and Tierney have carried the scoring load in championship to date, would be good to see someone else join the party with a heavy scoring return against Tyrone, ideally in tandem with one or both of those lads hitting a good total as well.
Galway defence will get a right test, have been playing well but some quality players up front for Tyrone, I thought they were outstanding for the first half against Monaghan, don't want to see them playing similarly well in this match.

Hopefully Galway can dog out a win, I think we have a few lads there now that are plenty fit to go into the trenches if needs be and I think it might, wasn't always been the case. This is a serious game against players that have the Celtic Cross in the back pocket, can Galway step up another level from championship performances to date is the question, I don't doubt Tyrone are going to come with a big showing.

JoG2

Tyrone are shipping huge scores and Galway have serious fire power. The head can only see one winner here. Galway by 6

square_ball

Heart maybe ruling the head but Tyrone by 2. 5 weeks hard training done in Garvaghy coming in under the radar a bit. Though someone on the Tyrone thread said Canavan is carrying an injury so if he's out that'll be a big blow.

screenexile

There was rumour of a feisty challenge game v Mayo recently has anybody heard anything else about this??

I think Rouse mentioned it on the Examiner podcast.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: screenexile on May 17, 2023, 09:33:25 PM
There was rumour of a feisty challenge game v Mayo recently has anybody heard anything else about this??

I think Rouse mentioned it on the Examiner podcast.

Heard Mayo gave Tyrone a bit of trimming and Tyrone didn't take it too kindly with rows breaking out on a number of occasions. 

seafoid

I remember 95. We were excited after winning Connacht for the first time in a while and getting past Mayo but Tyrone had a player called Canavan who was the real deal. In reality we didn't have the full set of footballers and had to wait another 3 years to get it. Tyrone were deserving winners of the semi but got a raw deal in the final as the ref gave the Dubs the football equivalent of a sympathy f**k following serial all Ireland final defeats and Tyrone had to wait another 8 years for Sam.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bennydorano

Couple of Tyrone boys in work very confident, I have no idea why, I think Galway will win the AI and will hopefully start out by giving Tyrone a hiding.