"there are simply too many teams in the round robin"

Started by seafoid, May 17, 2023, 04:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eire90

too much focus on intercounty  now was intercounty not suppose to be a representive thing where you play a few times a year then clear of back to your club.

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: Eire90 on May 18, 2023, 12:21:24 AM
too much focus on intercounty  now was intercounty not suppose to be a representive thing where you play a few times a year then clear of back to your club.

That, right there is the single biggest problem facing the GAA.

The power of the club.

One day the GAA will have to grasp the nettle.

LeoMc

Quote from: Eire90 on May 18, 2023, 12:18:43 AM
Quote from: Gmac on May 17, 2023, 04:35:59 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 17, 2023, 04:27:16 PM
The GAA wants to avoid one sided games but does nothing to promote competition.
Even at the quarter final stage last year 3 out of 4 matches were one-sided.
This is a big problem.  The Dublin situation is also a problem for the all Ireland with the other Leinster teams weakened.
Finding 8 decent teams is a struggle. Finding 16 is impossible.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/05/17/sean-moran-there-are-simply-too-many-teams-in-the-all-ireland-round-robin/
the current league should be championship with home and away games , same structure winners get promoted bottom 2 relegated , division 1 winners are all Ireland champions. Only way to help weaker counties give them something to build towards  and have a goal

would that getting rid of all ireland semi finals maybe you go do top 4 into semis or maybe 2nd v 3rd in a semi you would not want to get rid of the occasion of an ireland semi final
A Super 8's consisting of the 4 Provincial Champions and the 4 remaining highest seeds from the league.

Tailteann cup (superish 8)of the 4 Beaten provincial finalists and the next 4 highest seeds.
Junior championship (average 8!)of the next 8 seeds
Junior B for the bottom8/9

League still means something and teams are competing at their own level.

From this year
Group 1: Dublin, Derry, Tyrone, Roscommon
Group 2: Kerry, Galway, Mayo, Monaghan

Tailteann
Group 1: Armagh, Louth, Cork, Meath
Group 2: Clare, Sligo, Kildare, Donegal

Stick in a 2nd v 3rd qualifier to keep it competitive.

Armagh18

Quote from: LeoMc on May 18, 2023, 10:23:01 AM
Quote from: Eire90 on May 18, 2023, 12:18:43 AM
Quote from: Gmac on May 17, 2023, 04:35:59 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 17, 2023, 04:27:16 PM
The GAA wants to avoid one sided games but does nothing to promote competition.
Even at the quarter final stage last year 3 out of 4 matches were one-sided.
This is a big problem.  The Dublin situation is also a problem for the all Ireland with the other Leinster teams weakened.
Finding 8 decent teams is a struggle. Finding 16 is impossible.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/05/17/sean-moran-there-are-simply-too-many-teams-in-the-all-ireland-round-robin/
the current league should be championship with home and away games , same structure winners get promoted bottom 2 relegated , division 1 winners are all Ireland champions. Only way to help weaker counties give them something to build towards  and have a goal

would that getting rid of all ireland semi finals maybe you go do top 4 into semis or maybe 2nd v 3rd in a semi you would not want to get rid of the occasion of an ireland semi final
A Super 8's consisting of the 4 Provincial Champions and the 4 remaining highest seeds from the league.

Tailteann cup (superish 8)of the 4 Beaten provincial finalists and the next 4 highest seeds.
Junior championship (average 8!)of the next 8 seeds
Junior B for the bottom8/9

League still means something and teams are competing at their own level.

From this year
Group 1: Dublin, Derry, Tyrone, Roscommon
Group 2: Kerry, Galway, Mayo, Monaghan

Tailteann
Group 1: Armagh, Louth, Cork, Meath
Group 2: Clare, Sligo, Kildare, Donegal

Stick in a 2nd v 3rd qualifier to keep it competitive.
Like this idea all though obviously we'd see ourselves as belonging to the stronger group, would leave the league that bit more important as there probably are 9 stronger teams at the minute snd one would be missing out

seafoid

The GAA is fine with semi finals and the final. The question is what comes before that. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

High Fielder

Ultimately you're trying to make something work that never will. If all the future holds for weaker counties is to be pushed further into oblivion, why would they bother at all? If the GAA was designed to ensure dominance, and I don't believe it was, then there really is no future for at least half the counties in Ireland. Go and play Junior B. Go and play Division 3 and 4 football for eternity. Disregard funding, players available and the last 100 years of dominance. What a load of bollix quite frankly

seafoid

Until Leinster is fixed , the football championship will be weakened. In Division 1 as well the standard isn't as good as it used to be because of the financial doping. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Quote from: High Fielder on May 18, 2023, 11:14:25 AM
Ultimately you're trying to make something work that never will. If all the future holds for weaker counties is to be pushed further into oblivion, why would they bother at all? If the GAA was designed to ensure dominance, and I don't believe it was, then there really is no future for at least half the counties in Ireland. Go and play Junior B. Go and play Division 3 and 4 football for eternity. Disregard funding, players available and the last 100 years of dominance. What a load of bollix quite frankly
That's a great rant!
Hope you feel better after it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

93-DY-SAM

What about doing something radical such as taking Dublin and Kerry out of their provincial championship for a few years? Neither team really gives a rat's arse about them anyway and what benefit have they got out of any games they have played to day.

High Fielder

Quote from: Rossfan on May 18, 2023, 11:50:39 AM
Quote from: High Fielder on May 18, 2023, 11:14:25 AM
That's a great rant!
Hope you feel better after it.

;D

Armagh18

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on May 18, 2023, 12:01:13 PM
What about doing something radical such as taking Dublin and Kerry out of their provincial championship for a few years? Neither team really gives a rat's arse about them anyway and what benefit have they got out of any games they have played to day.
Would love to see this. Could we move a few Leinster teams to Munster as well to even thr numbers?

High Fielder

I'm all for something radical, but in fairness to both, neither can be blamed for their superiority. I have no interest in penalising either, splitting them up or taking them out of Croker or Dubai if that's where they want to play their matches. I just don't believe that we belong on the same pitch as them. There's an overall unfairness about it that goes deeper than the venue or the very many factors that makes them much stronger than us. The problem as I see it is not what can we do with Dublin or Kerry, but how can we ensure that they have proper competition? The players are out there. They're just not in the same counties, sadly

Armagh18

Quote from: High Fielder on May 18, 2023, 12:12:12 PM

I'm all for something radical, but in fairness to both, neither can be blamed for their superiority. I have no interest in penalising either, splitting them up or taking them out of Croker or Dubai if that's where they want to play their matches. I just don't believe that we belong on the same pitch as them. There's an overall unfairness about it that goes deeper than the venue or the very many factors that makes them much stronger than us. The problem as I see it is not what can we do with Dublin or Kerry, but how can we ensure that they have proper competition? The players are out there. They're just not in the same counties, sadly
A non Kerry Munster province team and a non Dublin Leinster province team?

Louther

Said it several times but the new structure is a mess, a hybrid model of knockout into league (based on another league) and then back to knockout. Only the knockout will really matter.

I'd love to see provincials stay as a stand-alone competition, try it and put some effort into it. I can see counties putting less emphasis into it in future on current system. While it would remain a realistic goal for counties that are building a team. But I don't think the hunger to change is there, certainly not from the power that provincial councils would have to give over.

It needs a massive overhaul which is mad to say as it's been one overhaul after another to get to this stage.

The league a great and obvious solution but ignored.

High Fielder

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 18, 2023, 12:20:38 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on May 18, 2023, 12:12:12 PM

A non Kerry Munster province team and a non Dublin Leinster province team?

Exactly