Armagh v Westmeath 27/05/23 @ 4.45pm

Started by bennydorano, May 16, 2023, 03:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Tickets are available online now. See its a GAAGO game as well.

Armagh18

Hopefully we should have too much for Westmeath at home. Defeat like the other day can see us react one of 2 ways, we could go out and blow them away or we could go out and struggle. Definitely not a team to be taken lightly. Should be a fair crowd in Armagh for kt

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 16, 2023, 03:34:02 PM
Hopefully we should have too much for Westmeath at home. Defeat like the other day can see us react one of 2 ways, we could go out and blow them away or we could go out and struggle. Definitely not a team to be taken lightly. Should be a fair crowd in Armagh for kt

A win and it should be 3rd at the very least in the group. Did draw with Westmeath in the last meeting three years ago, a match Armagh led 1-12 to 0-7 at half time.

naka

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 16, 2023, 03:43:32 PM

A win and it should be 3rd at the very least in the group. Did draw with Westmeath in the last meeting three years ago, a match Armagh led 1-12 to 0-7 at half time.
and indeed armagh needed a gaol in teh last minute to rescue the draw if i recall

bennydorano

Really can't see complacency being an issue in a group where if we did manage to lose this we would be putting ourselves under extraordinary pressure. Wouldn't it be nice to be going to Omagh with points on the board & hopefully Tyrone under a bit of pressure from a mauling in Galway.

yellowcard

Good game to get going again with the added advantage of it being at home. Don't think a match 3 years ago bears much relevance to this years match. We have 3 years in division one under our belt now and are considerably better than then. If we get the win under our belt early then we are simply playing for positioning in the group. The fixtures are in the order we would have wanted given that we could be playing Tyrone after them facing a tough trip to Galway. 

tonto1888

Quote from: naka on May 16, 2023, 03:59:21 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 16, 2023, 03:43:32 PM

and indeed armagh needed a gaol in teh last minute to rescue the draw if i recall

Jamie Clarke

lurganblue

I'm sure the Westmeath ones are glad this isnt the other way around eh... https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/armagh-gaa-fans-accused-of-horrendous-behaviour-at-westmeath-match/35971686.html

It's a game most in Armagh would expect us to win.  Armagh do very little without making it a challenge though. 

93-DY-SAM

Can we expect the same scramble for tickets for the BOX-IT Athletic Grounds for this game from the best-supported team in Ireland?

Armagh18

Quote from: lurganblue on May 16, 2023, 04:42:34 PM
I'm sure the Westmeath ones are glad this isnt the other way around eh... https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/armagh-gaa-fans-accused-of-horrendous-behaviour-at-westmeath-match/35971686.html

It's a game most in Armagh would expect us to win.  Armagh do very little without making it a challenge though.
Similar result and performance to the first 3 games would be nice. Don't think they are any better than Cavan or Down.

armaghniac

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 16, 2023, 05:13:25 PM

Similar result and performance to the first 3 games would be nice. Don't think they are any better than Cavan or Down.

They are not better than Cavan or Down and are going to get it tough in that group, especially after Galway and Armagh beat Tyrone and have them needing the points on the last round.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

yellowcard

Their results this season would suggest that they are probably inferior to Cavan and on a par or worse than Down. They finished below both in division three though they did beat Cavan to win the Tailteann Cup last season. Their manager left them after that and I think they appear to have gone backwards since then based on results.

The biggest danger is that we could be a bit flat after the Ulster final defeat although we had a similar scenario facing into the Antrim match having suffered relegation and it was a good match to get back on the horse.   

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on May 16, 2023, 05:24:12 PM

Their results this season would suggest that they are probably inferior to Cavan and on a par or worse than Down. They finished below both in division three though they did beat Cavan to win the Tailteann Cup last season. Their manager left them after that and I think they appear to have gone backwards since then based on results.

The biggest danger is that we could be a bit flat after the Ulster final defeat although we had a similar scenario facing into the Antrim match having suffered relegation and it was a good match to get back on the horse.  
Yeah agreed that's my fear as well, Westmeath a good bit better than Antrim and Sunday was a lot more devastating than relegation. Heslin a very good player for them

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 16, 2023, 06:10:33 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 16, 2023, 05:24:12 PM

Yeah agreed that's my fear as well, Westmeath a good bit better than Antrim and Sunday was a lot more devastating than relegation. Heslin a very good player for them

As is Luke Loughlin.