Kerry v Mayo - AI Senior Championship - R1 - Fitzgerald Field - Sat 20th 3pm

Started by highorlow, May 15, 2023, 10:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

QuoteIS this game on RTE or GAAGO only?

It's on the latter only, hence all the controversy.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: highorlow on May 17, 2023, 06:49:35 AM
QuoteIS this game on RTE or GAAGO only?

It's on the latter only, hence all the controversy.

Thanks. Not based in Ireland, so only aware of the controversy in an overall sense, not specific games
Hasta la victoria siempre

Blowitupref

Jack O'Connor

"There will be an edge to the game, there's no question about it. And there'll be no holding back here, both teams will be going at it hard. We're expecting a big contest here because Mayo have a very athletic team and the stadium is a big pitch, one of the biggest pitches in the country, and it's made for running power. So we'll have a fair idea Saturday evening where we're at and how we're set."

"We're playing the cream of the crop now the next day, the winners of Division One, and a team that steamrolled us up in Castlebar, so it's going to be a big step-up in class. No question about it, we're going to have to bring our 'A' game to compete with them,"

"That was one of our most disappointing performances over the last two years up in Castlebar, so we have a lot of improving to do from that game. Saturday will give us an opportunity to see how much improvement we have made.

"We have to take every game on its merits. The Mayo game is going to be a really big game. They're going to bring massive travelling support from Mayo. They're notorious supporters, from the point of view that they back their team through thick and thin. They will bring huge support to Killarney.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

highorlow

Quote"There will be an edge to the game, there's no question about it. And there'll be no holding back here, both teams will be going at it hard. We're expecting a big contest here because Mayo have a very athletic team and the stadium is a big pitch, one of the biggest pitches in the country, and it's made for running power. So we'll have a fair idea Saturday evening where we're at and how we're set."

"We're playing the cream of the crop now the next day, the winners of Division One, and a team that steamrolled us up in Castlebar, so it's going to be a big step-up in class. No question about it, we're going to have to bring our 'A' game to compete with them,"

"That was one of our most disappointing performances over the last two years up in Castlebar, so we have a lot of improving to do from that game. Saturday will give us an opportunity to see how much improvement we have made.

"We have to take every game on its merits. The Mayo game is going to be a really big game. They're going to bring massive travelling support from Mayo. They're notorious supporters, from the point of view that they back their team through thick and thin. They will bring huge support to Killarney.

He is running scared and so he should be.

larryin89

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 17, 2023, 03:52:11 PM
Jack O'Connor

"There will be an edge to the game, there's no question about it. And there'll be no holding back here, both teams will be going at it hard. We're expecting a big contest here because Mayo have a very athletic team and the stadium is a big pitch, one of the biggest pitches in the country, and it's made for running power. So we'll have a fair idea Saturday evening where we're at and how we're set."

A very shrewd guy , I doubt it's escaped his news desk , Mayo support will be terrible compared to the hazy days of 2013-2017 .Kerry outnumber mayo this weekend 3:1 .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: rrhf on May 16, 2023, 07:19:46 PM
I disagree with the exception of the  Dubs and the Galway.. Cannot seen anyone else getting close to these two. This is shadowboxing for a potential all Ireland final.   I said it before and I will say it again, this Mayo team mean business in 2023.

Sure they mean business every year rrhf. It's the execution of that intent that lets them down, just as it will this year. It's very, very frustrating.

weareros

Jack O'Connor

Some of the finest pure premium unadulterated yerra I've heard in a while.

larryin89

Quote from: weareros on May 17, 2023, 10:47:32 PM
Jack O'Connor

Some of the finest pure premium unadulterated yerra I've heard in a while.

In what context? Mayo are not a top side , Mayo won't bring an edge to the game ,bigger fields don't suit Mayo ?

highorlow

QuoteIn what context? Mayo are not a top side , Mayo won't bring an edge to the game ,bigger fields don't suit Mayo ?

We are 4th favourites in the betting 7/1 shots.

We are 11/4 on Saturday for the match which appears value given recent form.

larryin89

I think we have a better chance than the narrative amongst pundits are saying. It's a big test for both management and players. Killarney and in championship v Kerry is the acid test for any team with notions of Sam Maguire. A hammering will kill our year , a narrow defeat with a performance obviously better but again it's just my opinion but I firmly believe all Ireland finalists will be group winners. A win in Killarney will give them some serious bounce and the time to recover for a qf as again I think the winner of this game wins the group .

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: larryin89 on May 18, 2023, 11:33:22 AM
I firmly believe all Ireland finalists will be group winners.
I think you are spot on about that, I'm of the exact same view, which is why although there is zero chance that Mayo don't qualify from Group A, this is a big game in the context of the rest of the year. Mayo are All Ireland contenders, losing to a good Roscommon team 7 days after playing a league final hasn't changed that, it's fine margins at this level.

I think it's a big ask for any county to go into Killarney and win against the champions at the moment, but really interested to see how Mayo and Tyrone go on Saturday, both have had weeks to prepare knowing that they were going to have to take on a provincial champion away, are games (regardless of the opposition level) or a block of dedicated training time the preferable way to prepare for these group stages going forward?
Kerry are the rightful favourites for Sam, until evidence suggests otherwise, so you'd have to give them the predictive nod in this game, but it would be a statement win - to say the least - if Mayo can raid the Kingdom at the weekend.

Armagh18

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 18, 2023, 12:01:33 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on May 18, 2023, 11:33:22 AM
I firmly believe all Ireland finalists will be group winners.
I think you are spot on about that, I'm of the exact same view, which is why although there is zero chance that Mayo don't qualify from Group A, this is a big game in the context of the rest of the year. Mayo are All Ireland contenders, losing to a good Roscommon team 7 days after playing a league final hasn't changed that, it's fine margins at this level.

I think it's a big ask for any county to go into Killarney and win against the champions at the moment, but really interested to see how Mayo and Tyrone go on Saturday, both have had weeks to prepare knowing that they were going to have to take on a provincial champion away, are games (regardless of the opposition level) or a block of dedicated training time the preferable way to prepare for these group stages going forward?
Kerry are the rightful favourites for Sam, until evidence suggests otherwise so you'd have to give them the predictive nod in this game, but it would be a statement win - to say the least - if Mayo can raid the Kingdom at the weekend.
It would of course be massive for them, but obviously unfortunately with these groups it's far from a knock out blow and the loser will still get through to the prelim and likely a quarter final at least

Cunny Funt

I'd give Mayo a decent chance of claiming at least a draw on Saturday, Kerry during the league and even against Clare don't look as solid defensively, Clare scored 0-15 could easily have scored 2-18 the likes of Tommy Conroy, Ryan O'Donoghue will be more clinical if given simliar opportunities.

Even if Mayo lose i think they are one team that will do OK with the three games in 3 weeks as they have conditioning and strength in depth to cope better than most.

Blowitupref

Kerry have named unchanged team from the Munster final

Shane Ryan
Tom O'Sullivan
Jason Foley
Dylan Casey
Graham O'Sullivan,
Tadhg Morley
Gavin White
Diarmuid O'Connor
Jack Barry
Dara Moynihan
Seán O'Shea
Paudie Clifford
Tony Brosnan
David Clifford
Paul Geaney

Subs

Shane Murphy   
Brian Ó Beaglaoich   
Adrian Spillane   
Barry Dan O'Sullivan   
Ruairi Murphy   
Paul Murphy
Micheál Burns   
Mike Breen   
Stephen O'Brien   
Donal O'Sullivan   
Ronan Buckley
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

larryin89

Lee keegan piece would bring ya back down to earth if ya have any notions as a mayo man thinking we could pull this off . "Significant injury worries " rumour too according to lee .If Enda hession , mcbrien , cillian , Carr and Tommy are all out , we really are doomed . Every year this seems to happen , if it's not Tommy it Ryan or both, Carr is more time injured than available .Something not right , does it happen other counties , perhaps some of the time but not all the fookin time .