Connacht final 2023

Started by An Fhairche Abu, May 02, 2023, 05:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 10, 2023, 03:22:26 PM
It appears that way alright and I doubt Galway would say no Markievicz Park final.

If Sligo want a home/away Connacht final arrangement and Markievicz Park is allowed to host one that should be done and there would be no problem with it.
However, Sligo didn't fulfil their fixture in 2020, next Connacht championship match should be in Galway.

Manning18

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 10, 2023, 03:22:26 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on May 10, 2023, 03:04:16 PM

Why does Markievicz "hold a lot more than 10k"? Because you say so?
Considering how health and safety have absolutely slashed grounds with non bucket seating/standing all over the country, I see nothing in Markievicz to think it would be allowed to hold 'a lot more' than 10k. McHale Park for instance was 42k in the noughties and is now 25k max. There would've been a larger demand had one team been at home also. All a moot point anyway, as you can't change agreements with days notice, it's unfair on whichever team would have to travel to the others home ground

Im sure Prenty did think there was far more coming than realistic. As any amount of history has shown us, this is hardly the most competent individual we're dealing with. I'd agree that Hyde Park was probably a better option, but he's nothing if not consistent and did another twist for his own

The Slattery report cut the capacity of Markievicz park to 16,000. More that 25k max in MacHale Park also matter of fact 29,449 was at the Galway v Mayo match in 2018.

Haha seriously!? The Slattery report was 2011,12 years ago now. They were allowing  34k in Pearse Stadium and 36k in Castlebar in 2012.

McHale Parks Capacity at Donegal v Mayo 2019 Super 8s game was a fully sold out 25369. A simple google can tell you this

Perhaps your county man was lying and MP with its miniscule stand and 4 rows deep sideline terrace is still allowed to hold a mere 9k less than McHale Park. That's all we have to go on at this point though

Blowitupref

Quote from: Manning18 on May 10, 2023, 04:35:07 PM
Haha seriously!? The Slattery report was 2011,12 years ago now. They were allowing  34k in Pearse Stadium and 36k in Castlebar in 2012.

McHale Parks Capacity at Donegal v Mayo 2019 Super 8s game was a fully sold out 25369. A simple google can tell you this

Perhaps your county man was lying and MP with its miniscule stand and 4 rows deep sideline terrace is still allowed to hold a mere 9k less than McHale Park. That's all we have to go on at this point though

My county man?  Neutral opinion I have on this topic.

The Slattery report is when a number of grounds had their capacities restricted.

Unreserved seating was the case for home Super 8 games meaning the capacity of venues got cut. Connacht championship matches are reserved seating.

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 10, 2023, 04:14:38 PM
Sligo didn't fulfil their fixture in 2020, next Connacht championship match should be in Galway.

Because of covid contacts which wouldn't be right not allow them a home match in the next meeting v Galway.

The 2020, 2021 Connacht championship matches played behind closed doors or tiny crowds really should have been played in the Connacht GAA Centre as the towns missed out on big championships matches and the money it brings
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 10, 2023, 04:46:42 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on May 10, 2023, 04:35:07 PM

My county man?  Neutral opinion I have on this topic.

The Slattery report is when a number of grounds had their capacities restricted.

Unreserved seating was the case for home Super 8 games meaning the capacity of venues got cut. Connacht championship matches are reserved seating.

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 10, 2023, 04:14:38 PM
Sligo didn't fulfil their fixture in 2020, next Connacht championship match should be in Galway.

Because of covid contacts which wouldn't be right not allow them a home match in the next meeting v Galway.

The 2020, 2021 Connacht championship matches played behind closed doors or tiny crowds really should have been played in the Connacht GAA Centre as the towns missed out on big championships matches and the money it brings
Were they the only county unable to fulfil a fixture during COVID? They couldn't field, not entitled to anything now.
Galway lost a slew of starters for the U20 semi final that year due to Covid but got a team of lads out on the pitch.

Rossfan

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Sligo ask for a week's postponement and were told to Eff off?
Contrast their treatment with Tyrone's!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

I was looking at the roll of honour for Connacht. The split is roughly 40% Mayo and Galway and 20% Rossies. 5 were won over 123 years by Sligo and Leitrim.
Mayo were well ahead until the 1960s. In 1940 for example Mayo had 22 versus 13 for Galway.
Between 1960 and 1979 Galway added 10 and Mayo added just 2. Mayo had a long period from 1969 to 1981 where they won no Connacht title.  A lot of this was down to Roscommon.
By 1988 Galway were 5 ahead but Mayo were strong in the late 1990s and the gap was down to 1 by 1999. With a new team after the Longford debacle Mayo were very strong from 2011 on.
in 2015 Mayo were 2 ahead but the last few years saw Galway catch up again.
It's an amazing rivalry.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Manning18

Amazing rivalry in a Connacht sense. In an All Ireland sense, which is about 25 times more important, it's utterly lopsided.

Is there a bit of dispute over what the current Connacht score is? Colm Keys had it as 49 now for Galway and 48 for Mayo. Someone said to me it was 48 each now however

mouview

Quote from: Manning18 on May 11, 2023, 01:07:20 PM
Amazing rivalry in a Connacht sense. In an All Ireland sense, which is about 25 times more important, it's utterly lopsided.

Is there a bit of dispute over what the current Connacht score is? Colm Keys had it as 49 now for Galway and 48 for Mayo. Someone said to me it was 48 each now however

There might be some ambiguity over it alright I think. I've seen some tallies where Galway were one behind prior to last Sunday. Bit of confusion over the 1926 AI winners too I think. Mayo won whatever final was played, without the Connacht final having yet taken place. When it was subsequently played later in the year, Galway won it, and were hence declared the proper AI champions by central council. Something like that anyway.