Connacht final 2023

Started by An Fhairche Abu, May 02, 2023, 05:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 04, 2023, 11:46:48 PM

Joyce wanting to retain Maher and Conroy at midfield means McDaid to 7 was something that could have been seen coming, hope that works out because a HB line of McHugh, Daly and McDaid all playing to potential could be the best line in the team. I would be concerned about McDaid's tackling technique at times, hopefully he's more so going the other way but it's something to watch out for, Galway cannot be giving away stupid fouls that turn into easy scores, always a chance you'll have a ref only too happy to blow for soft enough stuff like the league final this year.

What's going on with the goalkeeper hokey cokey I don't know, if they had been alternating every league game to see who got the nod for championship you'd say something but here we are regardless.

Looking for Galway to show some improvement on breaking ball and kickout retention from the Rossie match, also interested to see if Sligo will target the lack of height in the Galway FB line Sunday and how they might cope with that, seems a possible avenue of attack for Sligo.

Galway have zero excuses for Sunday, need to be ruthless in front of the posts like a Kerry would be in the same position as huge favourites.

mouview

Would prefer and I think we need to see McDaid play further forward to be honest. Our HF line can be static and lack penetration a bit; McDaid is very good at bursting through at pace and getting defenders turned, which opens up opportunities for supporting attackers coming off the shoulder.

GalwayBayBoy

McDaid wasn't far off footballer of the year last year from midfield. I'm loathe to see him moved out of there even though he was an excellent wing-back at underage for Galway. I can see what they are trying to do in getting all the best players on the field together somehow. And they don't seem to want to consider using Conroy as an impact sub yet. While Maher's form has made him difficult to leave out.

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

twohands!!!

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 05, 2023, 12:54:56 PM
McDaid wasn't far off footballer of the year last year from midfield. I'm loathe to see him moved out of there even though he was an excellent wing-back at underage for Galway. I can see what they are trying to do in getting all the best players on the field together somehow. And they don't seem to want to consider using Conroy as an impact sub yet. While Maher's form has made him difficult to leave out.

Should be grand this weekend - probably a good one to try it out but I'm always a bit wary when I see teams that look like the best 15 individual players and lads being shifted out of their best position.

The goalie rotation is also a bit of a puzzler - maybe PJ just feels he can experiment in this game before the serious business starts in the next game.

Blowitupref

The only reason I seen Galway management going with Gleeson again is because he can get more distance on his kick out than Power who is good with the short chipped up kick outs.  McDaid although 8/9 on his back played at times wing half back in the championship last year with Tierney moving into midfield.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

onefineday

What's the feeling amongst Sligo supporters, would they have preferred the option of playing tailteann again regardless of the result in this game?
That said, the Connacht losers have a group that has potentially winnable games in it!

seafoid

Quote from: onefineday on May 06, 2023, 06:38:21 AM
What's the feeling amongst Sligo supporters, would they have preferred the option of playing tailteann again regardless of the result in this game?
That said, the Connacht losers have a group that has potentially winnable games in it!
Sligo get at least 3 extra games at the top level which is priceless
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Best of luck to Sligo tomorrow.
They'll need it :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2023, 09:25:53 AM

Will it be priceless if they get 15 point hammerings in those 3 games?

I can see Sligo getting took assunder tomorrow, Galway are my pick to win Sam. I just can't see how Sligo can trouble them but I do hope I'm wrong.

seafoid

Quote from: Itchy on May 06, 2023, 10:05:26 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2023, 09:25:53 AM

Will it be priceless if they get 15 point hammerings in those 3 games?

I can see Sligo getting took assunder tomorrow, Galway are my pick to win Sam. I just can't see how Sligo can trouble them but I do hope I'm wrong.
The point ofthe new setup is to give counties more games. It's up to them what they do with it. Sligo could have been in the Tailteann but they are at the higher level.
They should have fighting chances against Roscommon and Kildare.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mano

The reality is we are nowhere near the level of Galway. We have played only Division 4 teams and New York and are in a Connacht final. Its a big step up to from that to play All Ireland contenders. We will require Galway to be complacent and indifferent similar to 2007 but this is a far superior Galway side.
Not a big fan of the Sligo manager and his aggressive, abrupt man management skills which has meant a number of players from my own club chose not to commit. I suppose we have been promoted so I season will be a success irrespective of what happens today and in the coming weeks. Hopefully the game plan and match ups are right and Sligo to be competitive. But it should be a comfortable victory for Galway.
This weekend has been a success already after yesterday's heroic performance from the u20.

armaghniac

Pat Spillane starts the scoring for Sligo.
Sligo 0-02 Galway 0-00
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Blowitupref

Real competitive opening 8 minutes for Sligo as they lead 0-3 to 0-2

Wildweasel74

Good goal but the Sligo lad misjudged the flight of the ball more than it been a exceptional pass.