All Ireland U20 football championship 2023

Started by Blowitupref, April 27, 2023, 06:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

'Weaponised'. Christ what utter nonsense.

Dublin's population is an advantage at underage level. An advantage that still doesn't make us the best at underage as only 15 can be on the pitch at a time.

Our senior team comes almost exclusively from lads who played minor and/or U20. If you haven't done that, you're highly unlikely  to play senior or even make the senior championship panel. There'll always be exceptions but very few, but the pool of players we pick from is usually limited to those rather than 1.6 million! In reality we've no bigger pick that Kerry. The top 100 players in Kerry and the top 100 Dublin players are probably at a similar enough level. Our best 26 is currently a little bit behind, probably.

The quality of club football in Dublin  is very high compared to most other counties, and that is down to population. This, imo, is a big reason why lads coming out of minor and U20 improve faster than many other counties, where club football has less depth.

Wildweasel74

Fenton. Not play underage I read somewhere.

Gael85

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 15, 2023, 09:31:58 AM

Fenton played u21 for Dublin. Didn't play minor due to injury.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 15, 2023, 09:31:58 AM

Starter on 2014 U21 All-Ireland winning team.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose