Previous topic - Next topic

Predict the winner

Derry
22 (66.7%)
Monaghan
11 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

God14

Will Mcanespie or Ward be available for monaghan? I read somewhere mcanespie has cut short his travels
Either would be a huge boost

Derry have a propensity to make a fast start. Its a good habit for them, and it lends itself well to their counter attacking gameplan
Monaghan will need to put a big emphasis on the start. Last year the game was over after 25 mins. For the remainder of the game they were actually the better side

If i was Vinny Corey id definitely be looking at the Derry full back line, quite small and suspect under a high ball. Monaghan have the tools to test that.
Also if Monaghan can successfully block the runners, mirror up to Derrys mass defence system, make this a turgid affair, they actually have better individual forwards & free taking options than Derry do.
Id fancy them to squeeze this one.

southderryman

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on April 25, 2023, 12:06:42 AM
Quote from: southderryman on April 24, 2023, 11:16:41 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 24, 2023, 10:29:20 PM
Quote from: southderryman on April 24, 2023, 10:17:41 PM
Whats the story with tickets?

Only terrace available, no stand tickets?

I know that it comes as a shock to Derry people, but sometimes a lot of people go to games and the stand is full.
not really any need for the snide comment

The tickets only went on sale today (as far as i know) and there wasnt the option for stand tickets. I would imagine its too tight a turnaround to issue them via clubs so was just wondering where theyd gone to. Hopefully someone with a bit more manners knows

Tickets for the stand are being allocated through clubs. Terrace tickets are all through our old friend Tickermaster.
wasnt aware at all, didnt see any mention of it on the club socials. Thanks

Walter Cronc

Quote from: God14 on April 25, 2023, 11:00:11 AM
Will Mcanespie or Ward be available for monaghan? I read somewhere mcanespie has cut short his travels

Derry have a propensity to make a fast start. Its a good habit for them, and it lends itself well to their counter attacking gameplan
Monaghan will need to put a big emphasis on the start. Last year the game was over after 25 mins. For the remainder of the game they were actually the better side

If i was Vinny Corey id definitely be looking at the Derry full back line, quite small and suspect under a high ball. Monaghan have the tools to test that.
Also if Monaghan can successfully block the runners, mirror up to Derrys mass defence system, make this a turgid affair, they actually have better individual forwards & free taking options than Derry do.

McKaigue and McEvoy are both well over 6ft. The former was missing (along with Glass) during the goal fests of the last 2 games. Name a full back line in the country that deals well with a high ball or Con in the mood!

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Estimator

Ulster League Champions 2009

God14

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 25, 2023, 12:09:10 PM

McKaigue and McEvoy are both well over 6ft. The former was missing (along with Glass) during the goal fests of the last 2 games. Name a full back line in the country that deals well with a high ball or Con in the mood!

McEvoy is 19 or 20. He is an outstanding prospect, albeit completely untested at this point

McKaigue played most of his career at 6, and has successfully transitioned to a tough man marker role in his twilight years.
Yet to see him claim a high ball.

The goalkeeper is definitely there to be got at.

shawshank

Mc Kaigue was never a county number 6. Him being played there reflected our poor quality for a number of years. He is and should have been played every season in the full back line where he is excellent.

tbrick18

Quote from: shawshank on April 25, 2023, 03:39:16 PM
Mc Kaigue was never a county number 6. Him being played there reflected our poor quality for a number of years. He is and should have been played every season in the full back line where he is excellent.

100%

He did play in the full back line earlier in his county career. Was never a half back at county level, but excellent in that full back line.

That being said, he has had a recent injury and didnt look fully fit against Fermanagh. He was certainly caught for pace a few times.
Hopefully another couple of weeks recovery will have him in a better place.
A full 70 out of Glass too will be important as he's extremely important to the Derry defence.

Mario

Quote from: God14 on April 25, 2023, 03:37:14 PM

McEvoy is 19 or 20. He is an outstanding prospect, albeit completely untested at this point

McKaigue played most of his career at 6, and has successfully transitioned to a tough man marker role in his twilight years.

I'm not sure why there is this perception that Odhran Lynch is dodgy. He has been rock solid this year. He made one mistake last year against Galway. No other keeper is asked to play as risky a game as him - he's just following Gallaghers orders. I'm sure he doesn't choose to play half forward in opposition kick out.

tbrick18

Quote from: Mario on April 25, 2023, 04:11:54 PM

I'm not sure why there is this perception that Odhran Lynch is dodgy. He has been rock solid this year. He made one mistake last year against Galway. No other keeper is asked to play as risky a game as him - he's just following Gallaghers orders. I'm sure he doesn't choose to play half forward in opposition kick out.

It's a lack of understanding of the way Derry play.
Lynch has been excellent last year and this year, one of our best players in my opinion. Kickouts are 1st class and his out field play brings so much to our attack and to our opposition kickout strategy.

Mario

Quote from: tbrick18 on April 25, 2023, 04:14:17 PM
Quote from: Mario on April 25, 2023, 04:11:54 PM

It's a lack of understanding of the way Derry play.
Lynch has been excellent last year and this year, one of our best players in my opinion. Kickouts are 1st class and his out field play brings so much to our attack and to our opposition kickout strategy.
There definitely a lack of understanding. Some say we are the most defensive team in the country but our keeper presses kickouts. Someone above said we play a counter attacking style but others talk about our slow methodical build up. I think people just see Gallagher and think Donegal early 2010s. That's usually what the analysis is from southern pundits.

Blowitupref

Am I right in saying the loser of this game will be a 3rd seed in the group stages?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Estimator

I'd agree with the points on Lynch.

In the SF game against Galway he was certainly v far up the pitch, but he wasn't the player who lost the ball for Comers 2nd goal.

Fermanagh launched 3 high balls into the square against Derry in the first half, Lynch claimed two of them and the other was broken by McKaigue (I think).

The two goals in the second half although poorly defended, weren't actually high balls into the square, both were shots, first one blocked and deflected towards goal and the second one was badly off target.

Was close enough to the Derry dugout and could hear RG shouting instructions in the first half when he felt that Fermanagh were gonna use that tactic, he was gettin Lynch off his line, and ready to claim the ball as it came in.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Angus MacGyver

Dessie Ward will be on the bench most likely, but the game will come too soon for McAnespie who has indeed returned. This is a big tactical test for Monaghan's management- how do you go about setting up against GAA's best catenaccio? Last year saw Derry repeatedly pick off a leggy Monaghan team by turning good turnovers into goals. Derry have honed and added to that gameplan since, but you would wonder have Monaghan made the same progress? Their win against Tyrone came about somewhat because Tyrone ran out of steam in midfield- this will not happen Derry.
As regards team selection, Monaghan can't afford to have Jack McCarron and McManus on the pitch at the same time against Derry. To do so would risk their defence being overrun on counterattacks. Corey will have to go with pace all the way up front. In fact Carey, Kieran Hughes, Mohan, Jack and McManus all started in the forwards last year- only room for one of these this time around.