Predict the winner

Derry
22 (66.7%)
Monaghan
11 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

restorepride

Quote from: bennydorano on May 22, 2023, 04:01:01 PM
Off course it stings but it's what you want to take from it. Sports Pyschology 101.
O'Neill did look delighted right enough at the final whistle. Now I can see why.

InnocentByStander

Rumours today from a strong source PSNI and Derry county board in direct contact, RG completely cleared and he will be on the sideline on saturday.

This will be a huge story across the island.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: InnocentByStander on May 22, 2023, 04:11:41 PM
Rumours today from a strong source PSNI and Derry county board in direct contact, RG completely cleared and he will be on the sideline on saturday.

This will be a huge story across the island.

Here we go again more rumours, ifs and buts. Reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwq8f8MyJj8

Wildweasel74

Armagh lost the game as these days it's decided on the day, just like Galway beat you the same way, Penalties ain't a new game as you say.

restorepride

There is a rumour that some Armagh folk think the team didn't lose the Ulster final. I imagine the majority have more sense.

bennydorano

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 22, 2023, 04:28:37 PM
Armagh lost the game as these days it's decided on the day, just like Galway beat you the same way, Penalties ain't a new game as you say.
Yes lost a penalty shoot out & therefore a Cup in this instance. I'm sure Derry will take a great deal from winning the Cup. Armagh should take solace from playing badly & still getting a draw and not dwell on the negatives.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: bennydorano on May 22, 2023, 05:05:58 PM

Yes lost a penalty shoot out & therefore a Cup in this instance. I'm sure Derry will take a great deal from winning the Cup. Armagh should take solace from playing badly & still getting a draw and not dwell on the negatives.

This is a thread about the Derry / Monaghan game. Can the Armagh lads take their dopey argument about not getting beat to the Armagh / Westmeath thread and argue about it there.

Back to the game, hardest game of the three for Derry and I'd expect this to be much closer this time around. Still think we have enough to get over the line. Derry need to keep the winning habit through all these games. It's a good opportunity to start McFaul but that creates a problem with our limited bench and having guys who can come on to change a game. I think Murray should also start or at least get some decent game time.

DhoireTheas

Derry technically never lost the 1997 Ulster final either. They scored as much as Cavan did.

jmcgdoire

Quote from: bennydorano on May 22, 2023, 05:05:58 PM

Hahahaha fella you're delusional.

JoG2

Wow, 13 pages already! We're back (to back) baby

tonto1888

tbrick18

I've reset the poll count for this game chaps, so fill your boots.
Who's going to win?

statto

Would expect this to be closer than the Ulster semi final, Monaghan a few bodies back and a few weeks off to lick their wounds.  In the Ulster semi mcmanus and mccarron lack of work rate off the ball was targetted by RG so will be interesting to see what Corey has up his sleeve.  Monaghan have great bounce back abililty I would expect Derry to win but Monaghan I think are over priced at 7/2. 

Estimator

Could be in ambush territory with this fixture.

Monaghan were well beaten in the semi-final and have had plenty of time to focus on righting the wrongs and focusing on who their first game was going to be against.  Injuries cleared up and tactics worked upon. Waiting quietly in the long grass.
Their team sheet could be extremely different to the first day out in Healy Park.

Whereas everyone in the country knows 13 or 14 of the starting team for Derry.

Derry will go in as favourites, but I sense a much more attritional game will unfold.

Obviously it could never have happened, given the home advantage, but it would've been great to have the minor final at 5pm, before the senior game.
Ulster League Champions 2009

God14

Quote from: Estimator on May 23, 2023, 12:55:09 PM
Could be in ambush territory with this fixture.

Monaghan were well beaten in the semi-final and have had plenty of time to focus on righting the wrongs and focusing on who their first game was going to be against.  Injuries cleared up and tactics worked upon. Waiting quietly in the long grass.
Their team sheet could be extremely different to the first day out in Healy Park.

Whereas everyone in the country knows 13 or 14 of the starting team for Derry.

Derry will go in as favourites, but I sense a much more attritional game will unfold.

Obviously it could never have happened, given the home advantage, but it would've been great to have the minor final at 5pm, before the senior game.

Its hard to beat the same team twice in the championship, certainly in Ulster. Monaghan will have learnt most from the first game, thats for sure.
Tough fixture this one for Derry, in that they are expected to win it. All logic points to another Derry win, but there is that niggling suspicion of an upset here.
Big test for Vinny Corey, what way will he set his side up. They were completely outrun, out fought and out classed the last day. Must do better.
A war of attrition might suit Monaghan best. They have more reliable free takers. IMHO id say they probably have a better collective of scoring forwards too.
Derry's middle 8 is so formidable though, and Monaghan are creaking in that area. Alot of miles on the clock.