Roscommon v Galway Connacht Semi Final 23/4/23

Started by Rossfan, April 12, 2023, 11:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

That Maher buck impressed me alright....unfortunately.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 24, 2023, 09:07:24 AM
Galway won 10 out of 39 kickouts but had 26 attempts compared to Roscommon's 18, shows stats aren't everything but Galway won't be winning any All Ireland unless the kickouts improve.

As been covered a shocking 5 minutes from Galway, think every score for Roscommon during the period come from really poor kick passes. I'm sure once they watch the video of the game they'll be disappointed they didn't score around 2-16, they were excellent goal chances for Comer & Kelly who are both normally excellent in front of goal. On a positive note Galway responded very well to going behind and were back 5 points clear within about 10 minutes.

That was a brilliantly worked goal from Roscommon but not sure how their tallest player from himself isolated on Galway's smallest player but even then Sweeney has to understand where the danger is and not vacate the space for an easy goal for Murtagh; Apart from that Sweeney & McGrath were excellent, looked very comfortable at this level.

Walsh's shooting was poor, must have had 3 or 4 wides from play and Conroy wasn't great either. Ian Burke did very well, clearly he was going well in training but you can see why he was picked against a team which is very well organised defensively.

Maher again was excellent with 2 points from play as well as keeping Enda Smith quiet, he's been a huge bonus for Galway. McHugh too had another great game whilst Comer was superb.
Whatever the succession plan for Conroy is needs to start kicking into gear I'm afraid. Conroy has had a great last few years since returning from the double leg break and has been an incredible servant but I'd worry over whether he is going to be able to stick the pace at this advanced stage of his career, ground and matches will both be playing quicker and harder from the group stages on. Last year he was on fire in the league and up to the Q final stage in championship before two really tame performances at the real business end, no coincidence that was when we hit CP and it will be hard to reverse that this year. He has had some good to great performances in the odd game this year as well, but the graph looks to be trending only one way.
The problem is that Galway are very reliant on Conroy and Daly for setting up attacks and unlocking defences with kick passes, neither had their greatest games yesterday. Conroy handles the most ball of any Galway player in every match almost, I don't see any lad that can do the same job that's ready to step in unfortunately. I think this is going to be an issue unless Conroy can find one final Indian summer in him.

I think that the people piling in on Gleeson previously should now start to appreciate that it's not all on the goalie and Power is not going to miraculously solve the kick out woes. Power has been tried and not done it before, I sincerely hope he works out this time but even yesterday he got away with a suicide short kick out that ended up in a goal chance Cox should have buried but instead mishandled to the floor. Rossies go 4 points up there and the pitchforks would be out for Bernie today like they have been for Gleeson. Needs to be more effort to have team moves that are nearly guaranteed to secure possession from kick outs as well, it's not all on the number one but I feel like I've been typing that same sentence here for over ten years. I don't think we have any top class goalie available and to be honest I don't think we've had a single one in my lifetime on hard reflection. If there was anything that should be looked at underage it's finding someone who has top class restarts and get him groomed for the Seniors from a distance out.

Maher has been the shock of the year for me, playing way above all possible expectations that could have been had and fair play to the lad for that, to recover an inter county career from the Mayo debacle in 2020 when all would have figured he wouldn't be seen again is incredible to be honest, he is going great and long may it continue. Haven't seen Ian Burke play as well in the maroon for years, not noted as a scorer and he still missed what was a sitter point off his left in the 2nd half so plenty to work on there as well. If he could contribute like he did in general play yesterday and chip in with 2/3 points from play, that would be massive for Galway moving forward.
McGrath's height would worry you against teams further down the line that have sizable FF lines who might be able to target it aerially but what play from him out there yesterday, you won't be left wondering about that ladeen's attitude or willingness to get stuck into the opposition anyway.

Again Galway with only a middling return from shots at the posts around the 50% mark, been keeping a close eye on this and it's regressed from last year, this and the kickouts are the huge challenges to fix for Galway, because defensively I think we are looking fairly solid so far and if we can get most lads playing to their potential at the same time we'd give anyone a game of it at least. It's the most obvious of obvious statements but need to be getting the scores when opportunities are there, Galway are not doing that in the last two matches.

Manning18

Having been someone long frustrated by David Gough's very unique interpretation of the rulebook, but also impressed with his consistency, I watched back yesterdays game with an open mind.

It wasn't any better on second viewing. The first free against Cooke was both of them at it, but probably 60/40 the forward. A free out if something had to be given. The third free against Ben O'Carroll was an absolute phantom free. If neither of those occur its 7-1 at HT. There's a very high tackle late when Sean Kelly goes through for his goal chance not called, would've resulted in a tap over point. Those are the 3 that stick as changing scores directly but there was a number of strange decisions throughout.

I was cursing Galway as Roscommon seemed to win every breaking ball from kickouts. Usually these go to the hungrier team, however there were plenty of Galway players there on each occasion, the ball just seemed to bounce the wrong way repeatedly. My initial feeling of good fortune from Comer winning the break off the post faded hugely when tallying up all the above

The Cox slip is seen as a huge turning point, however John Daly was comfortably goalside. It was a half chance if he collected the ball but he'd have had to have rounded Daly first. Conor Daly's chance was a gimme when Enda got the ball but Enda's pass over was a poor one, kind of square to Daly rather than in front of him. It was a certain goal if played in front, but as it was, Power wouldve saved had it been slapped on target

Hard to give out about Comer but both he and Walsh were clueless in their running for Comer's goal chance. Comer closed off his own angle and Walsh did nothing to offer himself or drag defenders away. Dublin over the last decade score that goal 95%+ of the time

Lastly on a positive, I was very questioning of the decision to play Ian Burke but it was a masterstroke. They had clearly identified that this game was going to turn into basketball similar to the league game. Outside of Sean Kelly, Burke's movement and hands are the best on the panel. While the modern game has become a struggle for inside forwards, he's equipped to excel far more than most in these types of games. That he looked so sharp having played no intercounty (and indeed much football at all) in 3 years is a credit to him. On the Roscommon side, outside of the obvious with Murtagh, Cian McKeon really was superb in the second half. He was involved in everything and the score from the right while under pressure is one of the scores of the championship so far

Manning18

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 24, 2023, 10:17:21 AM
Galway won 10 out of 39 kickouts but had 26 attempts compared to Roscommon's 18, shows stats aren't everything but Galway won't be winning any All Ireland unless the kickouts improve.

As been covered a shocking 5 minutes from Galway, think every score for Roscommon during the period come from really poor kick passes. I'm sure once they watch the video of the game they'll be disappointed they didn't score around 2-16, they were excellent goal chances for Comer & Kelly who are both normally excellent in front of goal. On a positive note Galway responded very well to going behind and were back 5 points clear within about 10 minutes.

That was a brilliantly worked goal from Roscommon but not sure how their tallest player from himself isolated on Galway's smallest player but even then Sweeney has to understand where the danger is and not vacate the space for an easy goal for Murtagh; Apart from that Sweeney & McGrath were excellent, looked very comfortable at this level.

Walsh's shooting was poor, must have had 3 or 4 wides from play and Conroy wasn't great either. Ian Burke did very well, clearly he was going well in training but you can see why he was picked against a team which is very well organised defensively.

Maher again was excellent with 2 points from play as well as keeping Enda Smith quiet, he's been a huge bonus for Galway. McHugh too had another great game whilst Comer was superb.
Whatever the succession plan for Conroy is needs to start kicking into gear I'm afraid. Conroy has had a great last few years since returning from the double leg break and has been an incredible servant but I'd worry over whether he is going to be able to stick the pace at this advanced stage of his career, ground and matches will both be playing quicker and harder from the group stages on. Last year he was on fire in the league and up to the Q final stage in championship before two really tame performances at the real business end, no coincidence that was when we hit CP and it will be hard to reverse that this year. He has had some good to great performances in the odd game this year as well, but the graph looks to be trending only one way.
The problem is that Galway are very reliant on Conroy and Daly for setting up attacks and unlocking defences with kick passes, neither had their greatest games yesterday. Conroy handles the most ball of any Galway player in every match almost, I don't see any lad that can do the same job that's ready to step in unfortunately. I think this is going to be an issue unless Conroy can find one final Indian summer in him.

Conroy mixed sublime with appalling. His balls for 3 scores, to Heaney, Burke and Tierneys mark were exceptional. The Burke one in particular was outrageous. However, some of his old failings for kicking ball away needlessly is an issue and doesn't tally with games Galway are attempting to control. He had two shockers in the second half. The first in particular at a moment of pressure directly caused Conor Daly's goal chance which shouldve been taken. He really shouldve known better in that moment

However I think back to when our season looked in the doldrums in the second half of the Tyrone game, and Conroy seemingly taking the game over on his own. He's still an absolutely pivotal leadership figure imo and also still the one player id trust to play a ball to unlock a defence (think of the pass to Comer in the league final). That's ahead of John Daly even who himself can't be excused, he's given away a number of stupid balls in the last two games. With two runners now seemingly around him in Maher and McDaid (wherever he fits back in), we can surely find a way to protect his legs on fast pitches.

Incidentally, i'd also have also said Conroy's gets our most touches by far. However I now think its Peter Cooke. The lad is a magnet for the ball in slow play. Whether anything good is coming from that is up for debate

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Manning18 on April 24, 2023, 10:48:00 AM

Conroy mixed sublime with appalling. His balls for 3 scores, to Heaney, Burke and Tierneys mark were exceptional. The Burke one in particular was outrageous. However, some of his old failings for kicking ball away needlessly is an issue and doesn't tally with games Galway are attempting to control. He had two shockers in the second half. The first in particular at a moment of pressure directly caused Conor Daly's goal chance which shouldve been taken. He really shouldve known better in that moment

However I think back to when our season looked in the doldrums in the second half of the Tyrone game, and Conroy seemingly taking the game over on his own. He's still an absolutely pivotal leadership figure imo and also still the one player id trust to play a ball to unlock a defence (think of the pass to Comer in the league final). That's ahead of John Daly even who himself can't be excused, he's given away a number of stupid balls in the last two games. With two runners now seemingly around him in Maher and McDaid (wherever he fits back in), we can surely find a way to protect his legs on fast pitches.

Incidentally, i'd also have also said Conroy's gets our most touches by far. However I now think its Peter Cooke. The lad is a magnet for the ball in slow play. Whether anything good is coming from that is up for debate

Can't recall too many kickouts Cooke has won since the start of the league, he's lucky enough the likes of Patrick Kelly has never got fit this season. Cooke has done ok but thats about it, he needs to do more to keep his place.

McDaid is far too good a player not too start and there's no way you can leave Maher out either but fitting them all in is going to affect the balance of the side. Expecting a 33/34 year old Conroy to play 70 mins plus in Croker is a lot too ask but at least Maher has given him a decision to make, likes you's I'm very pleasantly surprised at his performances.

I'm only watching the games on TV but did Carroll move out the field for every Galway kickout? Reape did in the league final.

Haven't seen any stats on it but reckon Roscommon have done as well as well on opposition kickouts as anyone.

Any word on Eoghan Kelly's injury? There'll be games when his height and strength will be required, that backline was likely picked on the basis Roscommon aren't particular too tall or dominant aerially in the forwards, Smith drifting in like that on McGrath shouldn't happen. Great ball from O'Carroll a player who really impresses me, Galway did really well to keep him quiet. He was outstanding against Mayo but didn't appear to get his hands on that much ball.

Manning18

I think Carroll just came out the field on kickouts late when Ros were chasing.

The goal was a combination of things. 3 Galway players were back near Enda including Maher but the ball was superb and Enda got first run on the jump. Then Sweeney lost sight of tracking Murtagh

It's been a year of surprises personnel wise. I'd have offered long odds on McGrath, Maher or Hernon being near a starting team when the year began, and while I knew Eoghan Kelly was going places, and Burke was proven, they still seemed unlikely. Proven players such as Walsh, Finnerty, Cooke and McDaid have all been more peripheral for differing reasons, lack of form or injuries etc. It's the first time in a long time I can remember seriously healthy competition for places. The season might happen a bit fast for the long term injuries (Molloy and Mulkerrin) but in the medium-long term, they'll just add to the mix also

An Fhairche Abu

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that, he is hugely important but for me that's the problem in itself as I'm not sure that we can find a way to protect a player as you've outlined in a big match against a serious team, CP just seems to play different and anyone not up to the pitch of it gets left in the dust. We'll miss Conroy when he is gone out of the team and I don't see any natural replacement, which is the worry really.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 24, 2023, 11:47:45 AM

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that, he is hugely important but for me that's the problem in itself as I'm not sure that we can find a way to protect a player as you've outlined in a big match against a serious team, CP just seems to play different and anyone not up to the pitch of it gets left in the dust. We'll miss Conroy when he is gone out of the team and I don't see any natural replacement, which is the worry really.

We don't really have a kicking midfielder to replace Conroy. McDaid and Maher are ball carriers really. Even though McDaid can definitely kick scores. He's not really a foot passer. I think Cooke is probably the best midfield foot passer after Conroy. Young McLaughlin on the panel as well but he's not really a kicker.

joemamas

Galway have to be happy with that result given that their two best players at the business end last year were irrelevant yesterday.
Walsh was poor for his high standards for some reason, McDaid did not play.
Unfortunately for them they still have not figured out a full-back height presence, Enda Smith's catch and release for the goal was way too easy. It reminded me of Clifford going up uncontested for two or three marks  around the 21 yard line in the first half of last years final. To win an All-Ireland, they most likely will have to figure that one out.
Their forwards seem a bit more cohesive although it would drive me crazy being a corner forward every time Cooke gets the ball, no matter what the first thing he does is turn back to his own goals. There were multiple occasions when he did this yesterday, Burke tried a one-two, it became a one-one.
Still Galway are in a better place than my Mayo, who ironically now may have benefited from losing to Roscommon.
Hope Mayo's injuries heal up in the next month and we get a full squad, with a management who I back, making the correct calls on the team selection and particularly with substitutions.
It will be an interesting Three months. (hopefully)

Blowitupref

Quote from: joemamas on April 24, 2023, 03:52:37 PM
Galway have to be happy with that result given that their two best players at the business end last year were irrelevant yesterday.
Walsh was poor for his high standards for some reason, McDaid did not play.
Unfortunately for them they still have not figured out a full-back height presence, Enda Smith's catch and release for the goal was way too easy. It reminded me of Clifford going up uncontested for two or three marks  around the 21 yard line in the first half of last years final. To win an All-Ireland, they most likely will have to figure that one out.
Their forwards seem a bit more cohesive although it would drive me crazy being a corner forward every time Cooke gets the ball, no matter what the first thing he does is turn back to his own goals. There were multiple occasions when he did this yesterday, Burke tried a one-two, it became a one-one.
Still Galway are in a better place than my Mayo, who ironically now may have benefited from losing to Roscommon.
Hope Mayo's injuries heal up in the next month and we get a full squad, with a management who I back, making the correct calls on the team selection and particularly with substitutions.
It will be an interesting Three months. (hopefully)

Marked by Brian Stack who seems to always do a good job on the oppositions top forwards.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

This was a good description by Jimmy's winning matches

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/04/25/jim-mcguinness-galway-showing-a-quiet-resilience-that-wins-big-games-and-trophies/
Firstly, Galway's ability to get scores was, ironically, in large part a byproduct of Roscommon's attacking shape.

Roscommon were defending with 14 or 15 men behind the ball. So, when they won possession it was really important two of their three inside men – Ben O'Carroll, Donie Smith or Diarmuid Murtagh – were able to get forward to their designated starting positions, which was anywhere within the Galway square.

Having two forwards inside the square always gave Roscommon a focal point. Interestingly, nobody else went inside the 45, so you had a situation where you could have nine, 10 or 11 players outside the offensive 45 and midfield.

Clearly, if the ball was played inside you would then have a situation where possession was gathered by one of the two forwards, and they instantly had support runners coming from deep. The thinking behind the strategy was clear and clever.
However, in reality it ended up penning an unintended narrative. What I mean by that is, because Roscommon weren't prepared to send players over the offensive 45 but instead wanted to keep that space for their two players furthest forward, it created a very congested area outside the 45.

That facilitated a very strong midblock press for Galway. Because of the sheer volume of numbers, Galway were then able to consistently get good pressure on the opposing ball carriers, which meant the objective from a Roscommon point of view wasn't able to be achieved.

They couldn't lift their head or find the time they needed to play those balls inside. They were unable to get their runners off. Roscommon, in short, couldn't break through.

It led to frustration and they started going long and aimless, while also getting turned over and giving the ball away too often. Galway were well positioned to capitalise and kick-start transitional moments as soon as they turned the ball over.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU