Roscommon v Galway Connacht Semi Final 23/4/23

Started by Rossfan, April 12, 2023, 11:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 23, 2023, 05:45:35 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 23, 2023, 05:39:21 PM
Galway goal was one of these things, a rebound is always dangerous. The Rossies could have got the points, but kept going for goals.

Roscommon had a decent goal chance themselves before it but slipped in the build up and that Galway goal could easily have been a point instead of goal. Those two moments proved the difference in the end.
Galway missed several other goal chances.Swings and roundabouts.

yellowcard

Two very bad MOTM decisions in both games today. Gilligan giving it to his mate Johnson and Fitzmaurice giving it to Murtagh. Neither deserved it.

Hound

Quote from: yellowcard on April 23, 2023, 06:26:40 PM
Two very bad MOTM decisions in both games today. Gilligan giving it to his mate Johnson and Fitzmaurice giving it to Murtagh. Neither deserved it.
RTE said it was Keegan who gave it to Murtagh. The others all wanted it to go to Comer, but it had been agreed beforehand that Keegan had final say and he wouldn't change his mind and stuck with Murtagh

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: Hound on April 23, 2023, 06:48:38 PM
RTE said it was Keegan who gave it to Murtagh. The others all wanted it to go to Comer, but it had been agreed beforehand that Keegan had final say and he wouldn't change his mind and stuck with Murtagh

Mr GPS tracker up to no good as usual.

yellowcard

Quote from: Hound on April 23, 2023, 06:48:38 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 23, 2023, 06:26:40 PM

Fair enough but I would have thought Comer was an obvious choice. Then you had McManus getting MOTM last week for hitting free kicks over the bar, the analysis is bland enough but at least they should get it right.

seafoid

This is an exceptional Galway team with strength in depth. Even Mouview agrees. It was always going to be difficult for Roscommon.

GalwayBayBoy

Bit of a mixed bag performance today I thought. Roscommon started well but after 10 minutes or so Galway took complete control of the game without looking like pulling away. Limited Roscommon to 3 frees and no scores from play. And the first free they got was given against Cooke very early when both of them were pulling each others jersey.

Got first score of 2nd half to go 5 up and looked in control but the next 10 minutes was pure mad stuff. I actually thought Galway lost their heads a bit. Which shouldn't really be happening at this stage of the team's development. In quick succession Tierney, Conroy and Daly cheaply kicked away possession back to Roscommon under little pressure. I think Roscommon got 1-2 from those turnovers. And were completely energised now. Conroy kicked away another one and they definitely seemed to be losing the head at that stage. Luckily one of the Daly's I think missed his palmed effort at the back post. I'm not sure they would have come back from that. I think it was a Tierney free that settled them down eventually and got them back level. And they regained some control of the game after that. Even though they needed a bit of luck from the ball coming back off the post to Comer.

Comer in fairness was outstanding. Was getting the scores in the first half when it was tight. Got the goal. Got the insurance point. Plus he was back in defence turning ball over, tackling and winning possession. He really is a complete footballer these days. Probably should have buried his goal chance in the first half alright. Midfield was a disappointment . We made no inroads at all on the Roscommon kick out at all. They won 100% of their own kick outs. Carroll was finding Roscommon players drifting into pockets around the 45 and when he went long we weren't winning much breaking ball either. We lost 6 of our own kickouts. Turnovers won us the game really. We had a big advantage in that area and got a huge amount of scores off turnovers.

Fair play to John Maher. That's his 3rd good game in a row now against division 1 sides. Think people presumed he would drop out once McDaid was fit again but he's making it hard to drop him.

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on April 23, 2023, 06:22:27 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on April 23, 2023, 05:45:35 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 23, 2023, 05:39:21 PM
Galway goal was one of these things, a rebound is always dangerous. The Rossies could have got the points, but kept going for goals.

Roscommon had a decent goal chance themselves before it but slipped in the build up and that Galway goal could easily have been a point instead of goal. Those two moments proved the difference in the end.
Galway missed several other goal chances.Swings and roundabouts.
That was the main turning point though two moments in a matter of minutes. Had Roscommon gone 4 points up at the time it would be very difficult for Galway to come back.  Over the 70 minutes however the best team on the day won, It's 8 years since Galway have lost Connacht semi final a fine record and  provincial championship they take very serious nowadays.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

Yep Galway got back ahead then and in reality never looked like they'd lose it.
We only played (or were let play) for 6 minutes.
We need to work on quicker transition for the Group games as the slow slow stuff allows good opposition to have shooting areas blocked up like today.
A lot done, a lot to do. Hope the lads have a good night tonight, take a week's break and then come back refreshed and raring to go.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rudi

Galway were the better team. They also work very hard. We did well to get back into it. Looked clueless in the 2nd quarter. My God the Hyde was fairly rocking 8 minutes into the second half. Davy has brought the buzz back. Unfortunately to much lateral, back & forth stuff. Galway will be hard bet. Ciaran Murtagh was excellent, worked his socks off to. His brother,  Donie & Cox will be disappointed with their contributions. Galway are very difficult to break down, Comer did well, goal was fortunate, such is life. Still, better team won, no complaints.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 23, 2023, 07:39:18 PM
Bit of a mixed bag performance today I thought. Roscommon started well but after 10 minutes or so Galway took complete control of the game without looking like pulling away. Limited Roscommon to 3 frees and no scores from play. And the first free they got was given against Cooke very early when both of them were pulling each others jersey.

Got first score of 2nd half to go 5 up and looked in control but the next 10 minutes was pure mad stuff. I actually thought Galway lost their heads a bit. Which shouldn't really be happening at this stage of the team's development. In quick succession Tierney, Conroy and Daly cheaply kicked away possession back to Roscommon under little pressure. I think Roscommon got 1-2 from those turnovers. And were completely energised now. Conroy kicked away another one and they definitely seemed to be losing the head at that stage. Luckily one of the Daly's I think missed his palmed effort at the back post. I'm not sure they would have come back from that. I think it was a Tierney free that settled them down eventually and got them back level. And they regained some control of the game after that. Even though they needed a bit of luck from the ball coming back off the post to Comer.

Comer in fairness was outstanding. Was getting the scores in the first half when it was tight. Got the goal. Got the insurance point. Plus he was back in defence turning ball over, tackling and winning possession. He really is a complete footballer these days. Probably should have buried his goal chance in the first half alright. Midfield was a disappointment . We made no inroads at all on the Roscommon kick out at all. They won 100% of their own kick outs. Carroll was finding Roscommon players drifting into pockets around the 45 and when he went long we weren't winning much breaking ball either. We lost 6 of our own kickouts. Turnovers won us the game really. We had a big advantage in that area and got a huge amount of scores off turnovers.

Fair play to John Maher. That's his 3rd good game in a row now against division 1 sides. Think people presumed he would drop out once McDaid was fit again but he's making it hard to drop him.

For me that was main difference between the sides. Some of those turn overs was Roscommon needlessly giving possession away under no pressure which they didn't do against Mayo and Galway got lots of scores off those turnovers.

The way Galway are defending all year is the biggest improvement. How well they are set defensively now even the very best sides will not score high against them.

Great to see 17,000 at Connacht semi final, whatever about Leinster, Munster the interest in the Connacht championship is a popular as ever.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 23, 2023, 09:32:09 PM

For me that was main difference between the sides. Some of those turn overs was Roscommon needlessly giving possession away under no pressure which they didn't do against Mayo and Galway got lots of scores off those turnovers.

The way Galway are defending all year is the biggest improvement. How well they are set defensively now even the very best sides will not score high against them.

Great to see 17,000 at Connacht semi final, whatever about Leinster, Munster the interest in the Connacht championship is a popular as ever.

It was a Connacht final in all but name.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 23, 2023, 09:53:51 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 23, 2023, 09:32:09 PM

It was a Connacht final in all but name.

Connacht final will have a decent crowd in Castlebar also as did the match there two weeks ago.

How many do we reckon will attend the home group games for Galway, Roscommon and Mayo in the All-Ireland series?

An Fhairche Abu

Depends on who they are playing and what crowd they will bring, if Galway win Connacht final you could have Mayo going to Salthill for first group match, that would bring a sizable crowd you'd imagine.

Maroon Manc

Galway won 10 out of 39 kickouts but had 26 attempts compared to Roscommon's 18, shows stats aren't everything but Galway won't be winning any All Ireland unless the kickouts improve.

As been covered a shocking 5 minutes from Galway, think every score for Roscommon during the period come from really poor kick passes. I'm sure once they watch the video of the game they'll be disappointed they didn't score around 2-16, they were excellent goal chances for Comer & Kelly who are both normally excellent in front of goal. On a positive note Galway responded very well to going behind and were back 5 points clear within about 10 minutes.

That was a brilliantly worked goal from Roscommon but not sure how their tallest player from himself isolated on Galway's smallest player but even then Sweeney has to understand where the danger is and not vacate the space for an easy goal for Murtagh; Apart from that Sweeney & McGrath were excellent, looked very comfortable at this level.

Walsh's shooting was poor, must have had 3 or 4 wides from play and Conroy wasn't great either. Ian Burke did very well, clearly he was going well in training but you can see why he was picked against a team which is very well organised defensively.

Maher again was excellent with 2 points from play as well as keeping Enda Smith quiet, he's been a huge bonus for Galway. McHugh too had another great game whilst Comer was superb.