Roscommon v Galway Connacht Semi Final 23/4/23

Started by Rossfan, April 12, 2023, 11:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Surprised that Bernie is in - given that they persisted with Gleeson for the league final.
McDaid on the bench so must not be fully fit.
I'm not too sure what Ian Burke has done to justify inclusion on that team.
Unless Finnerty has a knock it's a very strange call looking in from the outside.

GalwayBayBoy

Manning18

If that team lines out then you can probably forget about much if not all of what you saw from Galway in the league. I hate the term shadow boxing but that lineup doesn't suggest much else.

Not the first time Joyce has started Ian Burke completely out of left field. Let's hope he's seen something to convince him. I'd have Finnerty in the top 10-15 forwards in the country at the moment, so injury aside it'd be a strange move

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: galwayman on April 20, 2023, 10:43:47 PM
Surprised that Bernie is in - given that they persisted with Gleeson for the league final.
McDaid on the bench so must not be fully fit.
I'm not too sure what Ian Burke has done to justify inclusion on that team.
Unless Finnerty has a knock it's a very strange call looking in from the outside.
I'm confused with it and slightly concerned, generally whatever else was done last year it was whoever was going well that got the start, certainly outfield. I don't think Ian Burke has done anything much in a Galway jersey really since 2018, the little game time seen in the league wasn't anything special to put him above Finnerty (who must not be fully fit) or even the likes of Culhane realistically.
Hopefully he's flying in training and goes well Sunday but it's a head scratcher, Galway need to be at their best to get a result and can't afford to have any players that aren't at it, best of luck to Burke and his clubman in goals of course, would be great to see both of them having solid games.

giveballaghback

Quote from: Manning18 on April 20, 2023, 11:01:25 PM
If that team lines out then you can probably forget about much if not all of what you saw from Galway in the league. I hate the term shadow boxing but that lineup doesn't suggest much else.

Not the first time Joyce has started Ian Burke completely out of left field. Let's hope he's seen something to convince him. I'd have Finnerty in the top 10-15 forwards in the country at the moment, so injury aside it'd be a strange move
I'd be very interested to see your list of top 15 forwards if Finnerty is on thr list

Manning18

Quote from: giveballaghback on April 20, 2023, 11:17:30 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on April 20, 2023, 11:01:25 PM

I'd be very interested to see your list of top 15 forwards if Finnerty is on thr list

Did you see what he was doing in the Sigerson before the league started? He was by far and away the standout player in the competition until he got injured. Besides that he was the top forward in Galway club championship last year, one of the top championships in the country. He looked to have improved significantly from last year coming into the league

Blowitupref

11 of that Galway team started the Div 1 league final. Comer was brought on in 30 minutes and Glynn brought on at half time.  Unless injured Rob Finnerty I would expect to start in place of Ian Burke.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Walter Cronc

Is spice boy spending another season at Kilmacud? Must be a tough aul course he's studying.

GaillimhIarthair

A couple of interesting picks for sure with Burke being the most surprising inclusion - haven't seen much to warrant it through the league campaign.

A lot more strength in depth for sure this year and very likely that Galway will finish with a "stronger" team than they start - hopefully it will be enough to get is over the line on Sunday evening. 

Blowitupref

Connacht final already set for MacHale Park no matter who reaches it. 1:45pm May 7th.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Mayo Border

Very defensive from both sides. Galway have more attacking threat in the final third

joemamas

I would say Galway had possession for 75% that half.
Could be up by 6-7

pjm

Quote from: Mayo Border on April 23, 2023, 04:24:17 PM
Very defensive from both sides. Galway have more attacking threat in the final third
No score from play in H1 from Ros, only 3 points, unwatchable.

screenexile