Roscommon v Galway Connacht Semi Final 23/4/23

Started by Rossfan, April 12, 2023, 11:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Time to move on.
Time to improve on our awful Championship record v Galway in the Hyde.
We won't want to start slowly here as Galways forwards could wreak havoc.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

An Fhairche Abu

Would be extremely wary of this game, regardless of the talk about the ref, I thought Roscommon were completely worthy winners last Sunday and the Rossies are long overdue a championship win against Galway in the Hyde.

Would have been pleased enough with how the league went in general for Galway, expanded the squad, defence was good generally, a couple of lads kicked on and Galway at least showed some decent fight in most matches but the non performance up front in the league final took a lot of the gloss of it.
An extraordinarily poor return from scoring attempts in CP that harkened back to previous years where the talk was "Galway have forwards" and yet it was a total lack of composure and clinical finishing in front of the posts that was the real losing of games. A scoring return of only 40% isn't going to cut it, the 70% mark should be the target for putting up real championship winning scores. Walsh was absolute money on the frees last year, barely missed anything that should have been scored, he was back to being loose enough again for the league final, cannot afford that when games are so tight these days and every mistake is punished. Huge amount of Mayo scores were from Galway errors in possession, if that continues into the next game then Rossies will be licking their chops.

Hopefully this upcoming match is better than the absolutely terrible Div 1 league match this year anyway, that might have been the worst IC game I was ever at in my life but I think you could see both sides mirroring each other again, likely be cagey enough.

seafoid

Burke is very interesting. He might plan for Sean Kelly's runs or target ball into Galway's full forward line.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Manning18

The only thing on Walsh's frees was the ones he missed were 45's basically. Croker's always been more difficult than provincial grounds to kick from the ground with the grass cut so short. He did kick a monster one from the left witht the hands in the first half, I wouldn't worry anyway given how consistent he's been recently

Joyce likes to tag Enda Smith with a runner anyway, the previous few times its been Kieran Molloy. Has worked excellently well (league game in Pearse stadium) and not so well (D2 final). Will be interesting to see who gets the role, possibly Cathal Sweeney although he might lack the physicality. Dylan McHugh another option.

Paul Rouse said last week McDaid couldve played v Mayo. Thats good news if correct as he's absolutely essential. Sean Kelly on Diarmuid Murtagh is probably set in stone, with Glynn or McGrath (provided they start) following Ben O'Carroll around. I assume Stack won't want to be following Walsh around the field and will tag Finnerty, with Daly on Comer? Would be hoping for a bounceback game from Tierney, who figures to have a size advantage on whomever he's marking. Might be an option to play slightly close to goal, or definitely following in high balls as he did throughout the league

IronMike247

When are tickets on sale for this game does anyone know?

I was at the league game between the 2 earlier in the year, and I would agree it was fairly dreadful stuff. Having said that there was no Walsh, Finnerty, Comer off injured early and I think those 3 could be the difference this time around.
McDaid back would be a big plus too.

Sweeney could be one to follow Enda Smith alright but he would surely be overpowered. Don't think he played when they met in the league but has nailed down a place since then, would imagine Eoghan Kelly would be given a marking job too if he is fit.

Cunny Funt

I'm expecting cagey enough affair between to well coached teams and whereby the final 10 or 15 minutes of the game comes alive.  Midfield battle will be interesting will Galway push up like Mayo did and who got little reward last Sunday.   The match ups on Diarmuid Murtagh,Enda Smith,Damien Comer,Shane Walsh will be hugely important.   

Galway's good championship record in Hyde Park can't be ignored and three weeks of preparation including week of hard training Portugal should have brought them on a lot from the league final so I'll slide slightly towards Galway to win.

giveballaghback

The league game will have no bearing on this game, it was only Burkes 2nd real game in charge and he didn't really know the best set up. I would say Galway beat themselves that day by not going for it when they were 4 pts ahead in a low scoring game.
However Ros are a different kettle of fish since and bar the Monaghan game have showed something different in every game. This will be a real battle of tactics and while Enda stepped up the last day he will be closely marked next Sunday so Ros may not get as much joy in midfield.
This is the real test for Ros, I rate Galway ahead of Mayo by a bit and if we can stay close here and maybe even nick a win it will be real progress.
Looking forward to the game.

galwayman

Quote from: Manning18 on April 12, 2023, 03:02:25 PM
The only thing on Walsh's frees was the ones he missed were 45's basically. Croker's always been more difficult than provincial grounds to kick from the ground with the grass cut so short. He did kick a monster one from the left witht the hands in the first half, I wouldn't worry anyway given how consistent he's been recently

Joyce likes to tag Enda Smith with a runner anyway, the previous few times its been Kieran Molloy. Has worked excellently well (league game in Pearse stadium) and not so well (D2 final). Will be interesting to see who gets the role, possibly Cathal Sweeney although he might lack the physicality. Dylan McHugh another option.

Paul Rouse said last week McDaid couldve played v Mayo. Thats good news if correct as he's absolutely essential. Sean Kelly on Diarmuid Murtagh is probably set in stone, with Glynn or McGrath (provided they start) following Ben O'Carroll around. I assume Stack won't want to be following Walsh around the field and will tag Finnerty, with Daly on Comer? Would be hoping for a bounceback game from Tierney, who figures to have a size advantage on whomever he's marking. Might be an option to play slightly close to goal, or definitely following in high balls as he did throughout the league
I have a clear memory in my mind of Sweeney attempting to chase down Smith and being left for dead. Can't remember exactly which game it was in.
Mayo never shut him down last week at all. I thought they'd move Durcan onto him but I don't think they did? He is Roscommon key man.

giveballaghback

All very quiet on here, should be a hard tight game and how both teams will set up should be interesting.
It won't be anything like the Connacht final last year when Galway sat back and let Ros come on to them get turned over and down the pitch for a handy score. Davy Burke has put those days behind us hopefully and if galway win which I think they will, just about, it will be hard earned, really looking forward to the game.

Rossfan

Another clash if Division 1 teams.
If it's anything like the League match it will be a right dour struggle!
Same outcome will do fine though.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

NotedObserver

Quote from: seafoid on April 19, 2023, 02:23:44 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/04/19/gaa-weekend-guide-fixtures-tv-details-team-news-and-tailteann-cup-permutations/
Galway boss Pádraic Joyce said Kieran Molloy and Seán Mulkerrin are closing in on a return from injury.

Galway a serious outfit. Only Kerry and dubs can stop them for me atm

Blowitupref

Roscommon the first to name their team.

Conor Carroll - Oranmore/Maree
Conor Hussey - Michael Glaveys
Conor Daly - Padraig Pearses
David Murray - Padraig Pearses
Niall Daly - Padraig Pearses
Brian Stack - St Brigids
Eoin McCormack - St Dominics
Dylan Ruane  - Micheal Glaveys
Keith Doyle - St Dominics
Ciarain Murtagh - St Faithleachs
Ciaran Lennon - Clann na nGael
Enda Smith - Boyle
Donie Smith Boyle
Diarmuid Murtagh - St Faithleachs
Ben O'Carroll - St Brigids

Subs
Colm Lavin (Eire Og) Colin Walsh (Oran) Cian Connolly (Roscommon Gaels) Robbie Dolan (St Brigids)  Niall Kilroy (Fuerty) Ruaidhri Fallon (St Brigids) Conor Cox (Eire Og) Paul Carey (Padraig Pearses) Cian McKeon (Boyle) Richard Hughes (Roscommon Gaels) Daire Cregg (Boyle)
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Aaron Boone

Quote from: NotedObserver on April 19, 2023, 02:36:05 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 19, 2023, 02:23:44 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/04/19/gaa-weekend-guide-fixtures-tv-details-team-news-and-tailteann-cup-permutations/
Galway boss Pádraic Joyce said Kieran Molloy and Seán Mulkerrin are closing in on a return from injury.

Galway a serious outfit. Only Kerry and dubs can stop them for me atm

+Derry for any top tier discussion. 

An Fhairche Abu

Fairly big call made at goalkeeper for Sunday by Galway management but starting Ian Burke in the FF line is an even bigger one to be honest, really from left field.