Is the earlier Championship a success or failure?

Started by full moon, May 07, 2022, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earlier Championship

Success
60 (38.5%)
Failure
63 (40.4%)
Too early to say
33 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Franko

Quote from: seafoid on May 19, 2023, 12:20:02 PM
This weekend

Rugby champions cup final
English Premier League second last round of matches
League of Ireland
USPGA
Katie Taylor homecoming fight

Good job we've a decent schedule of GAA on then - couldn't have the other sports getting all the air time  ::)

Eire90

is it terrible weather for may or just usual.

armaghniac

Attendances today were not stellar. Galway v Tyrone and Kerry v Mayo are games as big as you get involving different provinces. By contrast Semple stadium is sold out for the hurling tomorrow. One problem in modern Ireland is that it is difficult to get accommodation at a reasonable price if you wanted to make a weekend of an away game.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wildweasel74

As somebody pointed above, today I watched the rugby

Rossfan

23k in Killarney.
Pearse looked like 7k?
Ennis maybe 3k?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on May 20, 2023, 11:29:25 PM
23k in Killarney.
Pearse looked like 7k?
Ennis maybe 3k?

Viewing the highlights seem to be tiny crowds at all of the Tailteann cup games, early days yet but the knock out games in that competition last year attracted more interest.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 20, 2023, 11:58:37 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 20, 2023, 11:29:25 PM
23k in Killarney.
Pearse looked like 7k?
Ennis maybe 3k?

Viewing the highlights seem to be tiny crowds at all of the Tailteann cup games, early days yet but the knock out games in that competition last year attracted more interest.

There will be nobody at the TC games until knockout!

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hound

I think it's a nonsense complaining about the new system this early.

We get 4 extra knockout games with the prelim QF, and before they even happen people are saying they should be got rid of.

The round robin has been better than I expected, the biggest problem is the naysayers get all the limelight in the media and social media. So few of the games being on the Telly hasn't helped. If the Dubs-Ros game, for example, had been live on tv  that could have changed the narrative. Instead social media got the opportunity to lead the narrative and alll we heard was the moaning about the first half and instead of Ros getting credit they got lambasted.

We have had lots of extra games, at a higher level than normal league games,  many teams have learnt and improved, and now we have lots of straight knockout to look forward to. Let's hope people (and the feckin media) can now enjoy the championship and stop looking for things to moan about.

Rossfan

Has any player or manager complained?
I haven't seen or heard of any anyhow.

My instinct is that only 2 should qualify from the Groups straight to Qtr Finals. Imagine how much bigger a game that one in Omagh yesterday or Tullamore today would be then.
But it is what it is and 6 weeks to go to AI Final.
Enjoy the trip.....

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Hound on June 18, 2023, 09:53:52 AM

We get 4 extra knockout games with the prelim QF, and before they even happen people are saying they should be got rid of.

The round robin has been better than I expected, the biggest problem is the naysayers get all the limelight in the media and social media. So few of the games being on the Telly hasn't helped. If the Dubs-Ros game, for example, had been live on tv  that could have changed the narrative. Instead social media got the opportunity to lead the narrative and alll we heard was the moaning about the first half and instead of Ros getting credit they got lambasted.

We have had lots of extra games, at a higher level than normal league games,  many teams have learnt and improved, and now we have lots of straight knockout to look forward to. Let's hope people (and the feckin media) can now enjoy the championship and stop looking for things to moan about.
It's a systemic change to the all Ireland so the first iteration is unlikely to be the last.
Next year probably will be different.

restorepride

Quote from: seafoid on June 18, 2023, 10:22:11 AM

It's a systemic change to the all Ireland so the first iteration is unlikely to be the last.
Next year probably will be different.
Agreed.  Also, GAA families simply can't financially afford all the extra games - the cost of the Group games needs to be reduced dramatically for a start.  24 games played to eliminate 4 teams?! Some of my own family didn't travel to Longford yesterday dues to cost. Fact, not moaning.  And of course the Ulster Champions didn't feature on GAA Go.

Eire90

i think the system  has been grand. things i would change would be only provincial champions seeded and have a place in all ireland if outside the top 16 league rankings and home advantage for group winners (wont happen as gaa obsessed with croke park)

seafoid

The PQF is debatable . It could be retained. But  making better use of the limited time available should definitely be considered.
I don't think it's fair to have teams potentially playing 3 weekends in a row ie this weekend, next with PQF and the one after with QF. Better planning would fix this.

From the Bunker

Will there be game on Terrestrial TV now. Or are we in an unending cycle of all games being on GAAGO.
Do we care anymore?