All-Ireland QFs: Armagh/Roscommon, Dublin/Galway, Donegal/Louth, Kerry/Derry

Started by GAABoardMod5, June 22, 2024, 07:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

I thought before the match Galways's downfall would be Dublins playing Howard and Bulger in the backs then you add in McCaffrey & McCaffrey and Dublin had 11 players on the pitch capable of scoring a couple of points from play but ultimately it may have been their downfall, Dublin with a lack of natural defenders were very loose.  Galway had 16 shots in that second half and will be disappointed not to have scored 12-13 points given all those 6 misses were well within range for the shooters. Dublin must have scored 8 points before 20 minutes, no pressure whatsoever put on Dublin all over the pitch during that period and it was way too easy for them to get scores.

Silke on O'Callaghan in that first half wasn't a great matchup, Silke is a brilliant defender but always struggles with real raw pace like O'Callaghan has, remember James Carr giving Silke a really difficult time a few years ago in Limerick and there's been other instances where he's struggled too but stick him on a forward like Sean O'Shea and he'll do brilliantly. It didn't help that 3 times the ball was kicked into O'Callaghan no pressure was put on the kicker.

Now its going to be difficult to replicate that 2nd half for a the whole match but Galway don't want another first half like that but it was the best day in HQ for 23 years and a day to remember.

Special mention to Mulkerrins, didn't think he had it in him but the move to wing back has brought the best out of him; When Galway were struggling in that first half he kept on taking on his marker and made something happen. McHugh exceptional as usual, after the game against Mayo in 2021 I'd written him off but since then he's turned into one of the best wingbacks in the game and easily forgotten he missed the defeat to Mayo last year too. D'Arcy a bit limited in possession but those of us who remember him from his u21 days know he could always kick a score and continues to do so, if he understands his limitations he'll continue to be an asset.

armaghniac

Both Saturday games now free access on GAAGo if anyone is bored.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

greatpoint

On the Kerry forums they're blaming Mickey Harte for things that happened when he wasn't even Tyrone manager. For a county with such historical success, the paranoia is hilarious.

Truthsayer

Quote from: greatpoint on July 04, 2024, 01:35:57 PMOn the Kerry forums they're blaming Mickey Harte for things that happened when he wasn't even Tyrone manager. For a county with such historical success, the paranoia is hilarious.
The most begrudging shower ever when they lose to a 'six county' team. '03 to '08 they were horrible when Tyrone turned them over a few times. Lovely when they are beating you tho.. the wee patronising pat on the head.
Apparently the same about Down's style of football in the sixties when they were beating them.
When they beat Tyrone last year Marc and Tomás O'Se sneeringly suggested they'd 'long covid'... still bitter about '21. Couldn't help themselves. 

Armagh18

Quote from: Truthsayer on July 04, 2024, 02:24:32 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on July 04, 2024, 01:35:57 PMOn the Kerry forums they're blaming Mickey Harte for things that happened when he wasn't even Tyrone manager. For a county with such historical success, the paranoia is hilarious.
The most begrudging shower ever when they lose to a 'six county' team. '03 to '08 they were horrible when Tyrone turned them over a few times. Lovely when they are beating you tho.. the wee patronising pat on the head.
Apparently the same about Down's style of football in the sixties when they were beating them.
When they beat Tyrone last year Marc and Tomás O'Se sneeringly suggested they'd 'long covid'... still bitter about '21. Couldn't help themselves. 
Yeah that's why I nearly (only nearly) was happy to see Tyrone bate them in 2021.

The long covid remark was funny but does show that bitterness in them.

Truthsayer

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 04, 2024, 03:18:51 PM
Quote from: Truthsayer on July 04, 2024, 02:24:32 PM
Yeah that's why I nearly (only nearly) was happy to see Tyrone bate them in 2021.

The long covid remark was funny but does show that bitterness in them.
Marc on GAAGO.. Tómas on RTÉ.. some outfit. Then go to Tyrone looking a coach to sort their defensive problems.

imtommygunn

Tbf to Tómas I think he is u20 coach?

Yeah not a big fan of Kerry either. For all Dublin's dominance I still wanted Dublin to beat them last year. They're not overly likable.

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 04, 2024, 03:39:47 PMTbf to Tómas I think he is u20 coach?

Yeah not a big fan of Kerry either. For all Dublin's dominance I still wanted Dublin to beat them last year. They're not overly likable.
Not overly likeable but either are Dublin (who I've nothing but respect for). Would nearly support them just for the fact that someone as good as Clifford deserves to win a multiple all irelands (just not this years)

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: armaghniac on July 04, 2024, 12:10:59 PMBoth Saturday games now free access on GAAGo if anyone is bored.

Best of luck to Galway, but I'll never for the rest of my life be bored enough to rewatch that game.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 04, 2024, 04:06:01 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 04, 2024, 03:39:47 PMTbf to Tómas I think he is u20 coach?

Not overly likeable but either are Dublin (who I've nothing but respect for). Would nearly support them just for the fact that someone as good as Clifford deserves to win a multiple all irelands (just not this years)

Deserves has nothing to do with it.

naka

It's going to the six counties this year so he can wait another while

Armagh18

Quote from: naka on July 04, 2024, 08:09:44 PM

It's going to the six counties this year so he can wait another while
;) well i know that!

blanketattack

Quote from: blanketattack on June 30, 2024, 11:13:00 PM
Quote from: didlyi on June 30, 2024, 10:59:29 PMDerry v Kerry. First half was even and second half even worse. Never as true!

First half was far more brutal.

Derry can't complain about being tired, the tempo of the game was similar to the Craggy Island Over 75s Priests 5 a side soccer competition

Pat Spillane, stop stealing my content and passing it off as your own! 😡

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/pat-spillane-the-infamous-fr-ted-over-75-soccer-match-had-more-tempo-than-kerry-v-derry/a474170217.html