Leinster U20 football championship 2024

Started by Blowitupref, July 01, 2021, 08:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Disappointing, thought we matched them in most places except in attacking which didn't use the space that was there and just some poor shooting in general.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Captain Obvious

Kildare and Dublin two well matched teams going by that 1st half.

Gael85

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 25, 2023, 08:02:52 PM
Kildare and Dublin two well matched teams going by that 1st half.

Dublin doing ok but Kildare have the breeze in second half.

Blowitupref

54 minutes played level game 0-10 each. Extra time required. FT Dublin 0-11 Kildare 0-11
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Gael85

Dublin have never beaten Kikdare at u20.

Blowitupref

Half time in extra time last. Dublin 0-12 Kildare 0-14
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Captain Scarlet

Both teams leaving it all out there. They are young lads so plenty of rushes to the head throughout but the defending has been outstanding.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Blowitupref

FT AET Kildare 0-16 Dublin 0-13. First time Kildare have retained a Leinster U20/21 title since the mid 60s

Captain Obvious

Dublin getting into a habit of losing underage finals now. How many of the Naas Hogan cup winning team from last year is on that Kildare U20 team?

blanketattack

The GAA won't stand for this lack of underage success for Dublin, tomorrow expect to hear the gaa announce 50 new full-time coaches for Dublin and a blank cheque.

Hound

Quote from: blanketattack on April 25, 2023, 10:11:19 PM
The GAA won't stand for this lack of underage success for Dublin, tomorrow expect to hear the gaa announce 50 new full-time coaches for Dublin and a blank cheque.
Games development funding was at club level not county level. Low level coaches half funded by clubs mostly at primary school age - boys and girls - to get them up to the club to participate in football and hurling/camogie. Such coaches do not go near elite level players, who are coached from U14 up by ex-Dublin players who volunteer. They do get diet plans and other add-ons, which has to be paid for and I presume is funded by sponsorship, but I doubt they are looked after better than Kildare, Kerry, Galway, Tyrone.
Dublin have always underachieved at minor level given our population advantage. We tend to improve a lot from minor to U20, and then lads tend to kick on again from there - which I put down to playing in Div 1 and 2 of club football in Dublin, which is a very high level and much more depth than most other counties.

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on April 25, 2023, 09:16:19 PM
Both teams leaving it all out there. They are young lads so plenty of rushes to the head throughout but the defending has been outstanding.
Game could have gone either way, Dubs will feel they should have won it in normal time. But fair play to Kildare for getting the draw and then definitely deserved to win in extra time. I think that's 3 years in a row Kildare have beaten us?
Personally I think this was the best Dubs U20 team in a while - certainly in terms of the numbers who I expect to progress to senior intercounty level. So could be a good sign for Kildare

High Fielder

Quote from: Hound on April 26, 2023, 08:17:14 AM
Games development funding was at club level not county level. Low level coaches half funded by clubs mostly at primary school age - boys and girls - to get them up to the club to participate in football and hurling/camogie. Such coaches do not go near elite level players, who are coached from U14 up by ex-Dublin players who volunteer. They do get diet plans and other add-ons, which has to be paid for and I presume is funded by sponsorship, but I doubt they are looked after better than Kildare, Kerry, Galway, Tyrone.

Literally worlds away from what happens in most counties

blanketattack

Quote from: Hound on April 26, 2023, 08:17:14 AM
Dublin have always underachieved at minor level given our population advantage. We tend to improve a lot from minor to U20, and then lads tend to kick on again from there - which I put down to playing in Div 1 and 2 of club football in Dublin, which is a very high level and much more depth than most other counties.

It looks like €16million wasn't enough (coaching/game development grants from GAA central funds from 2007 to 2017)

Laois Rising

The high investment in Derry is certainly starting the bear fruit at senior level now.

Hound

Quote from: blanketattack on April 26, 2023, 10:39:06 AM
It looks like €16million wasn't enough (coaching/game development grants from GAA central funds from 2007 to 2017)
Well absolutely. Paying young coaches to teach young primary school children very basic gaelic and hurling skills at PE (mainly with little bean bags according to my kids)  once a week will increase participation but will do nothing to turn children into elite players.

I would say most of the current Dublin panel never received a single proper training session from these games development officers that received the 50% funding, yet they seem to get all the credit! An Offaly lad on the Leinster thread said the reason Offaly v Meath didn't draw a 45,000 crowd was because of these coaches organising bean bag throwing sessions for Dublin 6 year old boys and girls. It's hilarious! Believe the lies and ignore the truth. And there must be dozens of people from the country who live in Dublin and post here and know what these games development/promotion funding is all about, but people prefer to believe the social media hyperbole and blame their own county's failures on it.