Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavan19

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 02:58:46 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on May 24, 2023, 02:47:59 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 02:31:41 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 24, 2023, 02:06:37 PM
Why is pulling the ball from a player's hand not allowed?
Would it not at least tip the balance back towards defenders against ball carriers who seemingly can do what they like.
I don't see tackling the ball with fist specifically banned in the T .O.?

You are playing the man not the ball..

You can't tackle with a closed fist, yes clean contact on the ball is fine, its a yellow card if connecting with the player

Making contact with the ball with a closed fist is tackling with a closed fist.

All about interpretation too, if that is a clean take of the ball and no contact on the man did he foul him?

So you can tackle with a closed fist?   

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Cavan19 on May 24, 2023, 03:07:06 PM
Would it not at least tip the balance back towards defenders against ball carriers who seemingly can do what they like.

You can't tackle with a closed fist, yes clean contact on the ball is fine, its a yellow card if connecting with the player

All about interpretation too, if that is a clean take of the ball and no contact on the man did he foul him?

All I'm saying is if you tackle the ball cleanly, me personally I won't be blowing for it, if the ball is the only thing that is hit. It's a interpretation of that action
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cavan19

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 03:12:10 PM

All I'm saying is if you tackle the ball cleanly, me personally I won't be blowing for it, if the ball is the only thing that is hit. It's a interpretation of that action

I agree with you and i don't think any referee would give a free in them circumstances but it goes to show how daft the rules are.

Milltown Row2

Those clean takes on the ball are great to see.. I did a game the the other day, from my view, the lad slides in on the ball, misses the ball and the man, the player falls over from no contact (from what I seen at the time) the player who slid in collected the ball and went up the pitch.

On reflection and after it been shown to me, the easy thing was to just give the foul, but at the time, and I wasn't more than some meters away, he made no contact with the player, so play on!

Players will only want a foul if they are tackled and if their own players are tackling the opposition then its not a foul, sorry for the rant  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 03:54:03 PM
Those clean takes on the ball are great to see.. I did a game the the other day, from my view, the lad slides in on the ball, misses the ball and the man, the player falls over from no contact (from what I seen at the time) the player who slid in collected the ball and went up the pitch.

On reflection and after it been shown to me, the easy thing was to just give the foul, but at the time, and I wasn't more than some meters away, he made no contact with the player, so play on!

Players will only want a foul if they are tackled and if their own players are tackling the opposition then its not a foul, sorry for the rant  ;D

Question MR2.

I had a debate with a lad recently.

If I lose possession of the ball and it goes to ground, can I dive and flick the ball away with my hand...even though I've touched it clearly on the ground?

By the way, you should do up a booklet of questions for coaches regarding rules of the game.  I'd say we'd get about 5 out of 10 correct.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on May 24, 2023, 04:06:05 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 03:54:03 PM

Question MR2.

I had a debate with a lad recently.

If I lose possession of the ball and it goes to ground, can I dive and flick the ball away with my hand...even though I've touched it clearly on the ground?

By the way, you should do up a booklet of questions for coaches regarding rules of the game.  I'd say we'd get about 5 out of 10 correct.

You fall with the ball and lose possession of the ball you can play it, can even flick it into the net! Can you imagine explaining that on the day  ;D

some questions come up every year and I query them every time

Rossfan

That last one caught the current Mayowestros manager out when he was analyst on last year's Tailteann Final ;D :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Put a keeper off in sin bin lately. The opposition where giving off that the player who went into nets had to be wearing a keepers top!! This based on Tyrone game on TV the week before..

I explained that they didn't have to wear a keepers top, wearing the keepers top only gives the 'keeper' the rights of a keeper, nothing else. these people giving off are senior div 1 managers

WeeDonns

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 04:28:13 PM
Put a keeper off in sin bin lately. The opposition where giving off that the player who went into nets had to be wearing a keepers top!! This based on Tyrone game on TV the week before..

I explained that they didn't have to wear a keepers top, wearing the keepers top only gives the 'keeper' the rights of a keeper, nothing else. these people giving off are senior div 1 managers
Question: So Petey Harte gained the "rights" of the keeper by wearing the yellow jersey
But did it have his number on it?
Is it ok for a player to wear a number allocated to another player on the Championship team sheet
Not sure whose jersey he took, I guess its similar to a guy put off as a blood sub having to change his jersey?

clonian

Our seniors were playing 2 different lads in nets at different stages, neither were keepers. One made a run out and the other hung back in one game, possession lost and the one with the outfield jersey on that day tried to take the kick out but the ref didn't allow him to kick it because the other man had the keepers jersey on at half forward. Do you agree with that one?
I can see the keeper jersey going soon if the game keeps going like it is now, no advantage in it. If you like saving shots you may go to the soccer.

Armagh18

Quote from: clonian on May 24, 2023, 05:02:52 PM

Our seniors were playing 2 different lads in nets at different stages, neither were keepers. One made a run out and the other hung back in one game, possession lost and the one with the outfield jersey on that day tried to take the kick out but the ref didn't allow him to kick it because the other man had the keepers jersey on at half forward. Do you agree with that one?
I can see the keeper jersey going soon if the game keeps going like it is now, no advantage in it. If you like saving shots you may go to the soccer.
I'd be surprised if that one is in the rule book.

Louther

Is the main "right" the keepers jersey give is to touch ball on ground in small square? Kickouts not an issue, anyone can take. I did see a game where an out field player took the kick out, ran on and received the ball back from the receiver. Ref blew for it, rightly, and the teams manager went mad shouting "he isn't the keeper" but ref said he took kick and can't receive it back, but the keeper could have as he didn't take kick.

delgany

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 24, 2023, 05:20:35 PM

I'd be surprised if that one is in the rule book.
It is in official guide
If an outfield player takes the kick out, the rule states, the actual gk must stay on the goal line !

twohands!!!

Quote from: Louther on May 24, 2023, 05:25:18 PM

Is the main "right" the keepers jersey give is to touch ball on ground in small square? Kickouts not an issue, anyone can take. I did see a game where an out field player took the kick out, ran on and received the ball back from the receiver. Ref blew for it, rightly, and the teams manager went mad shouting "he isn't the keeper" but ref said he took kick and can't receive it back, but the keeper could have as he didn't take kick.

Also the keeper can't be shouldered/charged in the small square, all other players can be.

The rule about the kickout only says keeper so in this case the ref was wrong. Yet another terribly drafted rule in the rule-book.

QuoteA player in direct receipt of a kick-out may not pass the ball to his team's goalkeeper without another player playing the ball.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 03:12:10 PM

This is pretty much the interpretation by I'd say about 90% of refs.
Some refs will blow at any sight of a closed fist around the body.
Of the 90% some will just blow for a foul for a closed fist tackle, some will give a ticking and some will give a yellow and some will give a red if there's contact with the body - depending on how close the fist was to the ball/the level of contact with the body.
The rules committee could definitely do with providing clarification on this.