Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: David McKeown on May 22, 2023, 06:06:28 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 15, 2023, 11:10:54 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on May 15, 2023, 10:19:54 PM
So, the penalty  shoot out yesterday

Both teams  nominated 5 kickers.  The Derry fella , (name escapes me)  did  his hamstring taking his penalty.

If the penalties  were level after 5 each , the same 5 players  also have to  take the  the next five.  So if it came down  to it, and the  injured Derry player was unable to  take his penalty second time around... what happens then?

Not sure there is a rule specifically for that but let's take the 'mark' rule, if the person is injured in the process of claiming a 'mark' and is unable to take it, another player can be nominated. I'd assume that be the case, but one to certainly consider going forward

You actually name 7 players for penalties. 5 for taking them. 1 goal keeper and 1 sub goal keeper who may replace the keeper but not swap with them. The fact that the rule book makes particular reference to that makes me think you can't replace an injured penalty taker
Probably needs looking at!

themac_23

Quote from: smort on May 22, 2023, 03:33:00 PM
Some new rules bring trialled...

https://www.gaa.ie/football/news/gaa-to-trial-experimental-kick-out-and-free-kick-rules/

Terrible ideas, the rule of not being able to go back to the keeper worked well. When teams are chasing games they push up on kicks and the keeper has to go long, so there is no need for a rule to make a team lump a ball if the opposition is happy enough to concede the kick out

marty34

Quote from: themac_23 on May 24, 2023, 08:11:21 AM

https://www.gaa.ie/football/news/gaa-to-trial-experimental-kick-out-and-free-kick-rules/

Terrible ideas, the rule of not being able to go back to the keeper worked well. When teams are chasing games they push up on kicks and the keeper has to go long, so there is no need for a rule to make a team lump a ball if the opposition is happy enough to concede the kick out

Why do they have to keep changing the rules?

Seems just to be a rule change for the sake of it.

If they'd sort out the tackle, that'd be a decent start.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on May 24, 2023, 08:36:25 AM

What are we looking for in the 'tackle'

Shoulder to shoulder believe it or not is the only physical tackle allowed lol.

If you are not 'tackling' the ball or trying to disposes the ball legally then its a foul!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 08:42:52 AM

If you are not 'tackling' the ball or trying to disposes the ball legally then its a foul!

Yes, but if 3 /4 men are slapping at a player in possession, most hits nowhere near the ball, 90% of the time a ref will blow for overcarrying when it really should be a free to the player in possession

marty34

Quote from: JoG2 on May 24, 2023, 09:42:07 AM

Yes, but if 3 /4 men are slapping at a player in possession, most hits nowhere near the ball, 90% of the time a ref will blow for overcarrying when it really should be a free to the player in possession

100% correct.

They'd be slapping and punching with a closed fist, like playing the big drum on the 12 th and the player will get be pulled up for overcarrying.

Happens all the time.

JoG2

Quote from: marty34 on May 24, 2023, 10:17:53 AM

100% correct.

They'd be slapping and punching with a closed fist, like playing the big drum on the 12 th and the player will get be pulled up for overcarrying.

Happens all the time.

The Lambeg tackle!

tyrone08

Quote from: JoG2 on May 24, 2023, 10:22:08 AM
Quote from: marty34 on May 24, 2023, 10:17:53 AM

100% correct.

Happens all the time.

The Lambeg tackle!

The Michael murphy tackle.

Milltown Row2

So I'll ask again, what are we looking for in the tackle? Attempts to play the ball but any connection to wrist arm torso should be pulled, leaving the game outside of shoulder on shoulder non contact
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 12:30:25 PM
So I'll ask again, what are we looking for in the tackle? Attempts to play the ball but any connection to wrist arm torso should be pulled, leaving the game outside of shoulder on shoulder non contact

Maybe to start off, restrict the two man tackle, i.e. one man at a time can make contact. Too often 2/3 men are all in making contact and they win the free. No harm in blocking off the escape route for the ball carrier by having the arms out and letting him come make the contact, but it is frustrating to see a player getting slapped about by a crowd and getting blown up for it.

Difficult to police at the pace of county level maybe compared to club level, but it would improve the game in an attacking sense.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: manwithnoplan on May 24, 2023, 12:57:06 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 12:30:25 PM

Maybe to start off, restrict the two man tackle, i.e. one man at a time can make contact. Too often 2/3 men are all in making contact and they win the free. No harm in blocking off the escape route for the ball carrier by having the arms out and letting him come make the contact, but it is frustrating to see a player getting slapped about by a crowd and getting blown up for it.

Difficult to police at the pace of county level maybe compared to club level, but it would improve the game in an attacking sense.

The bit in bold by the rules is a foul either way. The only contact allowed is on the ball or shoulder to shoulder, are we wanting to go down that road?

Personally I'm looking for shirt pulling, pulling the hand/arm back, frontal charge, if I see genuine attempts to play the ball with an open hand I'm playing on, if the player doesnt release the ball its overcarrying.

Now I may be completely wrong and I've certainly been pulled many times during a game and very recently afterwards, I get one go at it and explain why I'm giving the free either way, rightly or wrongly. To me there is not much wrong with the game, if the ref is calling that for both sides then the teams need to react to that, don't keep doing the same things (taking the ball into a tackle) as it won't change the calls

Rossfan

Why is pulling the ball from a player's hand not allowed?
Would it not at least tip the balance back towards defenders against ball carriers who seemingly can do what they like.
I don't see tackling the ball with fist specifically banned in the T .O.?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on May 24, 2023, 02:06:37 PM
Would it not at least tip the balance back towards defenders against ball carriers who seemingly can do what they like.

You are playing the man not the ball..

You can't tackle with a closed fist, yes clean contact on the ball is fine, its a yellow card if connecting with the player

Cavan19

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 02:31:41 PM

You can't tackle with a closed fist, yes clean contact on the ball is fine, its a yellow card if connecting with the player

Making contact with the ball with a closed fist is tackling with a closed fist.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Cavan19 on May 24, 2023, 02:47:59 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 02:31:41 PM

Making contact with the ball with a closed fist is tackling with a closed fist.

All about interpretation too, if that is a clean take of the ball and no contact on the man did he foul him?