Foreign appreciation of GAA?

Started by 30mog, August 09, 2013, 11:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 09, 2013, 02:48:11 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 09, 2013, 02:41:59 PM
Quote from: fearglasmor on August 09, 2013, 02:36:42 PM

the Dublin club scene wouldn't necessarily reflect the true parochial nature alluded to by AZOffaly earlier. Have fun and dont disguise the accent....no need.

Don't heed that advice though, head out to The Naul, Man O'War, Ballyboughal, Rollestown, Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush, Lusk.  It as Parochial as it gets.

I agree, I was involved in the Dublin GAA scene for several years (a blow-in from Mayo) the Dublin scene is good.
[/quote]

I have no doubt that it is "good". But is there the same GAA community spirit around Mobhi Road as there would be in Mayobridge????
[/quote]
I often wondered that , after all Being part of the Gaa is more of a choice in the City that in rural parishes .
As AZ said the Club is us, so much so its not seen as something distinct from the rest of the community . so the people you love/hate on the school board parish council drama group or what ever are the same people in the GAA Club.
Where as in Dublin these are people you chose to be with  and an activity you have choosen to do .so does that lead to better camradaire , maybe so
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: rosnarun on August 09, 2013, 04:08:05 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on August 09, 2013, 02:48:11 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 09, 2013, 02:41:59 PM
Quote from: fearglasmor on August 09, 2013, 02:36:42 PM

the Dublin club scene wouldn't necessarily reflect the true parochial nature alluded to by AZOffaly earlier. Have fun and dont disguise the accent....no need.

Don't heed that advice though, head out to The Naul, Man O'War, Ballyboughal, Rollestown, Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush, Lusk.  It as Parochial as it gets.

I agree, I was involved in the Dublin GAA scene for several years (a blow-in from Mayo) the Dublin scene is good.

I have no doubt that it is "good". But is there the same GAA community spirit around Mobhi Road as there would be in Mayobridge????
[/quote]
I often wondered that , after all Being part of the Gaa is more of a choice in the City that in rural parishes .
As AZ said the Club is us, so much so its not seen as something distinct from the rest of the community . so the people you love/hate on the school board parish council drama group or what ever are the same people in the GAA Club.
Where as in Dublin these are people you chose to be with  and an activity you have choosen to do .so does that lead to better camradaire , maybe so
[/quote]

I get what ye are saying lads, but how is that any different from the GAA in Castlebar, Ballina, Galway City, Omagh, Wexford Town, Tralee, Cork City, Athlone, Strabane, Mullingar, Ennis, Navan, Cavan Town or Portlaoise?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

I think the great thing about the GAA is the differences in views on almost everything there is to have a view on, some of us are very very opposed to certain others outlook, but when it comes to the GAA we are all united in wanting to do everything in our power to make the organisation, its sports, its members, and the our wider local communities a better and stronger place.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

fearglasmor

At its core I don't think the GAA in Balbriggan or Bohernabreena is any different to Castlebar or Castleisland. They just operate in a different  social environment. They are different but there is more that binds them than seperates them.

30mog

OP here...

As if answering my prayers.  There is a Junior Hurling game in Manchester this Sunday between Lancashire & Cork.  The only place it's mentioned is gaa.ie.  Might nip over The Pennines and take a look.  Especially as there is something else I can do while that way.

Coming from Yorkshire I will of course cheer for CORK !!

Onlooker

I think that is a Junior Football game.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Hi 30Mog, good to have you on board.

That game in Manchester is an All Ireland Junior football semi final. The UK champions get to play in this competition each year at the semi final stage as Ulster don't run a junior football championship.
Cork have a strong team and would be heavy favourites, but there has been a dramatic improvement in the GAA in the North of England aswell as the South and Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds in particular have thriving GAA scenes. John Mitchels, a club from Liverpool, reached an All Ireland junior club final a couple of years ago, losing narrowly. I do know quite a few lads involved in Gaelic football in Leeds and you could nip over there to watch a few games if the interest takes you.

I would echo other posters urging you to take a trip when you can to the Gaelic Football heartlands (as you seem more interested in Football?) to get a sense of what its all about.

To my mind in no particular order West Cork, Mayo, Any part of Kerry (but particularly the South and West I have to admit), Tyrone, Down, Derry and some parts of Dublin are the most intense football areas of the country, but there are clubs outside these areas that could be every bit as educational and invigorating to visit. Nemo Rangers in Cork city for example, is as intense and successful a Gaelic Football club as there is on the island. Kilamcud Crokes, Ballyboden-St Enda's or St Vincents in Dublin, Kilmurry-Ibrickane (in the rural area around Quilty in West Clare) are all beacons of Gaelic Football excellence.

The effort put into even fielding teams by volunteers and players in tiny rural areas like Dromid in South Kerry, Aran Islands or the wilds of Donegal would amaze and inspire you...lads making 7 or 8 hour round trips from Dublin or elsewhere several times a year just to ensure the team they grew up with and love continue to exist. Its something I did myself for a good while and it would break your heart at times, but you know what, I'd give anything to go back and do it all again.

Anyway Mog, keep up the interest, keep asking questions, don't be afraid to talk to people here or at games wherever you are. There are idiots around, but you get them everywhere unfortunately. They will be a minority I hope.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Hardy

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 10, 2013, 04:46:32 AM

That game in Manchester is an All Ireland Junior football semi final. The UK champions get to play in this competition each year at the semi final stage as Ulster don't run a junior football championship.
Cork have a strong team and would be heavy favourites, but there has been a dramatic improvement in the GAA in the North of England aswell as the South and Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds in particular have thriving GAA scenes. John Mitchels, a club from Liverpool, reached an All Ireland junior club final a couple of years ago, losing narrowly. I do know quite a few lads involved in Gaelic football in Leeds and you could nip over there to watch a few games if the interest takes you.

I would echo other posters urging you to take a trip when you can to the Gaelic Football heartlands (as you seem more interested in Football?) to get a sense of what its all about.

To my mind in no particular order West Cork, Mayo, Any part of Kerry (but particularly the South and West I have to admit), Tyrone, Down, Derry and some parts of Dublin are the most intense football areas of the country, but there are clubs outside these areas that could be every bit as educational and invigorating to visit. Nemo Rangers in Cork city for example, is as intense and successful a Gaelic Football club as there is on the island. Kilamcud Crokes, Ballyboden-St Enda's or St Vincents in Dublin, Kilmurry-Ibrickane (in the rural area around Quilty in West Clare) are all beacons of Gaelic Football excellence.

The effort put into even fielding teams by volunteers and players in tiny rural areas like Dromid in South Kerry, Aran Islands or the wilds of Donegal would amaze and inspire you...lads making 7 or 8 hour round trips from Dublin or elsewhere several times a year just to ensure the team they grew up with and love continue to exist. Its something I did myself for a good while and it would break your heart at times, but you know what, I'd give anything to go back and do it all again.

Anyway Mog, keep up the interest, keep asking questions, don't be afraid to talk to people here or at games wherever you are. There are idiots around, but you get them everywhere unfortunately. They will be a minority I hope.

Great post, C_t but the bit in bold surprises me a bit, as well as similar references in other posts in the thread here. It simply wouldn't occur to me that a fella could get into any trouble at a GAA match because he has an English (or any other) accent - apart from antagonism between supporters of the teams involved and happily that's rare enough by comparison with some other sports. I just can't imagine it at any club I can think of or at any inter-county game. When I read his original post I smiled to myself when he mentioned that. Then it seemed sad to me that anyone should think that, but I put it down to a possible comparison to English soccer.

My answer to him would have been that it's something to put out of his head completely. It's not a consideration.  What will happen is that he'll find himself adopted by people eager to explain the game to him. We like to show off to strangers. Yes, like any of us, he could get a belt in the gob for something he'd say, but it wouldn't be for the accent he said it in.

(Just joking, 30Mog - that doesn't happen either - not outside the white line anyway and never among casual supporters. There was a celebrated case recently where a handbag-swinging lady came out of the crowd and cut loose on the field of play, but limited damage was inflicted. That was in Kerry and she was from Tyrone, so there was a double derogation from normal practice at work.)

armaghniac

I think you have to include South Armagh in that list, which has a very successful club that shares its parish with 3 others, all of whom have put in enormous work and with similar good work going on in neighbouring districts. But there are great clubs and setups in every county. Some of the smaller clubs, not well known outside their own area, represent the greatest achieivement given their small base.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

maddog

Quote from: Hardy on August 10, 2013, 11:39:22 AM

Great post, C_t but the bit in bold surprises me a bit, as well as similar references in other posts in the thread here. It simply wouldn't occur to me that a fella could get into any trouble at a GAA match because he has an English (or any other) accent - apart from antagonism between supporters of the teams involved and happily that's rare enough by comparison with some other sports. I just can't imagine it at any club I can think of or at any inter-county game. When I read his original post I smiled to myself when he mentioned that. Then it seemed sad to me that anyone should think that, but I put it down to a possible comparison to English soccer.

My answer to him would have been that it's something to put out of his head completely. It's not a consideration.  What will happen is that he'll find himself adopted by people eager to explain the game to him. We like to show off to strangers. Yes, like any of us, he could get a belt in the gob for something he'd say, but it wouldn't be for the accent he said it in.

(Just joking, 30Mog - that doesn't happen either - not outside the white line anyway and never among casual supporters. There was a celebrated case recently where a handbag-swinging lady came out of the crowd and cut loose on the field of play, but limited damage was inflicted. That was in Kerry and she was from Tyrone, so there was a double derogation from normal practice at work.)

I know plenty of the lads that go every year to the All Ireland football and hurling from Birmingham, plenty of them are 2nd generation Irish with Birmingham accents. Never ever heard of them having a problem apart from the ones they create for themselves. ;)

Rossfan

Quote from: Hardy on August 10, 2013, 11:39:22 AM
[. It simply wouldn't occur to me that a fella could get into any trouble at a GAA match because he has an English (or any other) accent -

I spent an entire game ( v Mayowr U21s) sitting in front of a rhubarb supporter who had a severe dose of Yorkshire accent and spent almost the entire game groaning " Ahhh Freeeeemon !" as one Alan Freeman didn't perform to his expectations.

I'd suggest  mog get in touch with one of the Leeds clubs ( although you might become a rhubarb then) and take it from there.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

neilthemac

intense pockets in every county.
you need to experience a game with two teams from north longford, or south westmeath! bitterness and rivalry don't come close to describing it.

pick a place to holiday, and invariably there will be games on.
That is the beauty of the GAA.
You heard about maybe, 10% of the games in the media?

30mog

Soon after posting I realised my mistake.  And that it is a junior football not hurling game tomorrow.  This because on GAA website it is listed immeadiately under tomorrow's hurling semi's.  So no need to take a crash helmet?  I have to say I would be choosy about where in the ground I watched an hurling game from....I bet they hurt!

Anyway, when it says 'junior', it might be interpreted as an age group reference.  However, Am i right it actually means a second tier competition?  Like in Scottish Football where below the professional game clubs are designated as having senior or junior status, with the latter not allowed to play in the Scottish FA Cup while the former are.  But of course in the case of GAA the same teams, as in the counties, field all the different teams.

Whatever, looking forward to it.  Train times noted and on my way barring disasters.

armaghniac

QuoteLike in Scottish Football where below the professional game clubs are designated as having senior or junior status, with the latter not allowed to play in the Scottish FA Cup while the former are.  But of course in the case of GAA the same teams, as in the counties, field all the different teams.

Junior is a second rank team, like the above. Underage teams are Minor (u-18).
A small GAA club might be a junior club, or a bigger senior club might have second string playing in the junior ranks.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

StephenC

Philip Jordan ‏@PhilipJordan72
"The 4th post on this thread is as a good a description of what the GAA is about as you could get #proudtobeagael "

AZOffally, take a bow.