Go Games - Good or bad - discuss...

Started by heffo, April 21, 2011, 09:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone08

The whole thing is pointless really. Anyone who has coached kids will know that regardless of counting scores the kids will know themselves who won or who "lost".

Losing and how to react to it is a vital life skill and teaching kids early will help them develop into resilient adults.

Milltown Row2

Or if their team is crap and lose all their games then they'll grow up losers  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tyrone08

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 25, 2023, 08:16:21 PM
Or if their team is crap and lose all their games then they'll grow up losers  ;D
😂

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: tyrone08 on May 25, 2023, 08:15:01 PM
The whole thing is pointless really. Anyone who has coached kids will know that regardless of counting scores the kids will know themselves who won or who "lost".

Losing and how to react to it is a vital life skill and teaching kids early will help them develop into resilient adults.

That's all well and good, and of course the kids will know, but if there are no official results, then the club doesn't need to pick the stronger players at the expense of the weaker ones. They can all play and develop and learn.
Kids will be kids, its the adults that need to be managed!
Hasta la victoria siempre

Keyser soze

Would picking 'weaker' players instead of 'stronger' players not lead to disillusionment amongst the latter.

I know from personal experience that losing more talented players is at least as common as losing less talented people.

I've known people who were taken off in an U16 match who never kicked a ball again. I know players who are togging out for 20 years and who wouldn't start a game more than once a year. 

All of these things have f all squared to do with whether games are competitive at U12. As usual the GAA are making decisions on the hoof, on the scantiest of anecdotal evidence by the looks of things, and without a single thought as to what the detrimental effects could be.

Its like the shitshow that moving to U17s proved to be.

thewobbler

Twitter has been an interesting read the past few days.

There's a lot of adults in Ireland that truly detest how their GAA clubs/mentors treated them as youngsters.

There's just something doesn't sit right about this blame game with me.

I was the most mediocre footballer / athlete who walked this earth. I was dropped more times than I can remember. Turned up for a bucket load of matches when I knew I wouldn't play. Threw the toys out of the pram once or twice, when I should have played. But I loved playing football, and blamed nobody but myself for not making teams... and then stuck at it til I was 43.

I'm not sure about this "I was never given a chance" mentality that pervades these conversations. Try harder folks.

Wildweasel74

The problem at underage games is some parents at games plus some of the people managing these teams,  Non-Competive at this level is fine enough.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thewobbler on May 27, 2023, 12:31:15 AM

There's a lot of adults in Ireland that truly detest how their GAA clubs/mentors treated them as youngsters.

I was the most mediocre footballer / athlete who walked this earth. I was dropped more times than I can remember. Turned up for a bucket load of matches when I knew I wouldn't play. Threw the toys out of the pram once or twice, when I should have played. But I loved playing football, and blamed nobody but myself for not making teams... and then stuck at it til I was 43.

I'm not sure about this "I was never given a chance" mentality that pervades these conversations. Try harder folks.

There's a level that you are actually at and then there's a level that you think you are at... anyone that had a decent work ethic or ability got on, anyone who didn't usually fitted into the team that suited their abilities or work ethic.

People looking back complaining about how they were treated in relation to their game time needs to have a word with himself.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Will it ever end

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 26, 2023, 09:33:43 AM
Would picking 'weaker' players instead of 'stronger' players not lead to disillusionment amongst the latter.

I know from personal experience that losing more talented players is at least as common as losing less talented people.

I've known people who were taken off in an U16 match who never kicked a ball again. I know players who are togging out for 20 years and who wouldn't start a game more than once a year. 

All of these things have f all squared to do with whether games are competitive at U12. As usual the GAA are making decisions on the hoof, on the scantiest of anecdotal evidence by the looks of things, and without a single thought as to what the detrimental effects could be.

Its like the shitshow that moving to U17s proved to be.

Do you realise there has been literally nothing changed this wee from Croke Park - how parents and clubs apply that is on them surely?

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 27, 2023, 10:29:04 AM

There's a level that you are actually at and then there's a level that you think you are at... anyone that had a decent work ethic or ability got on, anyone who didn't usually fitted into the team that suited their abilities or work ethic.

People looking back complaining about how they were treated in relation to their game time needs to have a word with himself.

Some people looking at this issue through the prism of their own youth - some positive and some not so positive.

Yeah, the kids that usually got/get on were the kids who always have a ball or hurl in their hands.  Simple as.  You can see it.  Other lads just turn up an hour every week for training.

In my experience, the parents' of these kids are the first ones to complain in there's a wee competition and their son is in the other team.

I think the GAA must do a proper study on underage competition, through various academic studies and see what the best option is and what best practice is.  Not sure if there's much research out there but it needs looked at.

My option is Go Games of mixed abilities all the way through from February to August, then say a few tournaments in September. 

Will it ever end

They have done that Marty - and Go Games was developed as the best practice!

OakleafCounty

I've coached both Gaelic Football (u7.5) and Soccer (u11) teams for three years now and I think the GoGames model is superb. I think commentators are getting carried away by making winning and losing the issue. Of course kids know when they've won or lost a game whether it's officially competitive or not. The challenge is game time and ensuring that every child gets exposure to the ball in games which is much harder to do in tournaments than GoGames.

No child should be considered a 'write off' and the progress that I've seen from kids in both sports getting steady runs of games is great which wouldn't be happening otherwise. My kids also play hurling and their club is hosting an u11.5 tournament tomorrow with each club only fielding one team. For my sons team not all players have been invited to attend which has caused unnecessary ill feeling. My older son has also played in football/hurling u9.5 and u11.5 tournaments where any player could attend but there was seven or eight subs and very limited playing time which also causes ill feeling. I refereed a tournament final as a neutral last year and the abuse I was getting from both sides was ridiculous, pathetic and a terrible example to the boys on the field. I've also been invited to take my u7.5 team to tournaments which is beyond laughable.

On the other side of the coin, my soccer team play competitive 9v9 matches every week and in tournaments like the Foyle Cup. It's competitive but much better organised than the off-the-cuff tournaments run by a lot of GAA clubs that are too short in both time and land. While soccer is competitive you can register as many teams as you have players, providing you have enough coaches. But I think the GoGames model is better, proven by the fact that the drop off rate from soccer around the age of 12-14 is much greater.

In short, for the kids, every game is 'competitive' and there's nothing wrong with that but it's well covered by the GoGames model. Tournaments tend to become more about the coaches and parents. When there is a tournament, they need to be well organised so that all players in attendance actually play and they should be at u12/u11.5 only and certainly not at the younger age groups.

clarshack

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 27, 2023, 10:29:04 AM

You're not factoring in Nepotism which is still a huge problem. There are lads sitting on benches that are every bit as good as those starting but they are losing out because the manager is sorting relatives/mates out first.

MC

It's a difficult balancing act and impossible to satisfy everyone - but ultimately it's essential that no-one loses sight of the fact that it is a game - a bit of fun - important in itself but also of no importance at all!
We play a lot of blitzes at underage where there is a cup, a shield, a plate, etc. - where everyone always has something to play for - that way each team get fairly equal game time and have a chance to 'win' something in a fairly equal competitive games. We encourage the kids to go out and not to be afraid to make loads of mistakes - but to always get involved in games, look for the ball and get the ball in their hands as often as possible - everything that follows after that is all development for each child.
The problem with a lot of games is that 2-3 dominant players get 75% of the ball and there is a real danger that many kids do not touch the ball, do not develop skills and do not enjoy the game - with a resulting drop out. At very young underage levels physical size is a huge factor and therefore the zones, rotation, etc. are all invaluable.
I can understand a lot of mentors and coaches looking back on their experiences and thinking they do not want to make the same mistakes they were subject to - that will nearly always be the case - even now when the current kids look back on their time - they will look to improve things and do things better - informed by their own experiences.
One significant change I'd like to see from the current set up is all underage - right up to U17 - playing on smaller pitches - appropriate reduction in width and length to average kicking distance.

marty34

Quote from: Will it ever end on May 27, 2023, 12:12:32 PM
They have done that Marty - and Go Games was developed as the best practice!

But have they?

Where is the valid viewpoint that a few compritions a year are good and build character etc. etc.  Not to mention to develop the stronger players?

Go Games are all about the the mixed ability age groups.