The Craic in Croker last Sunday

Started by zoyler, February 16, 2007, 12:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoyler

I was pleased and felt honoured to be in Croker last Sunday - not as good as the 2002 All-Ireland but not bad.
Funniest moment was just before the first French Penalty was kicked - in the middle of the reasonable hush a lone voice in the Upper Cusack bellowed 'Take your point@  Not bad - also heard a patron inform some D4 types that this was the stadioum the culchies built!
Any other gems?

tayto

No, but my jaysus rugby is a stop start game, they give a free for everytime a player drops the ball and they were all at it. it's one skilless sport.

GalwayBayBoy

Mid Mon

A D4 head came up to me and said finally we're in, its about time.

balladmaker

QuoteReally.

Yip, there isn't much skill about it....a very tactical game, alot of brut force but not much serious skill involved imo anyway.

Can be great to watch though.

On another point, that Ireland's Call 'anthem' should be ditched once and for all.  Apart from being a crap composition, there should be only one anthem played for Ireland, and not a mock up one written to apease those from the 'wee 6' who still have a touch of bigotry running through their veins....Ireland is Ireland is Ireland, end of.

GaillimhIarthair

Was in the vicinity (Hogan Premium) of Trevor Brennan and friends prior to the game and I can honestly say that no one mentioned his mother or pub  ;)

Pietas

Quote from: zoyler on February 16, 2007, 12:43:50 PM
I was pleased and felt honoured to be in Croker last Sunday - not as good as the 2002 All-Ireland but not bad.
Funniest moment was just before the first French Penalty was kicked - in the middle of the reasonable hush a lone voice in the Upper Cusack bellowed 'Take your point@  Not bad - also heard a patron inform some D4 types that this was the stadioum the culchies built!
Any other gems?

Hillarious...Not :-[
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteYip, there isn't much skill about it....a very tactical game, alot of brut force but not much serious skill involved imo anyway.

Sure some people say the same about gaelic football.

tayto

Yes they do, but they're obviously not rugby fans. Ah least in football every player can kick to some degree, the roar when the most skillfull player in rugby kicks the ball off the pitch say s it all. well done, you hit the sideline. Dropgoals are treated like they're an amazing display of skill, and they're invariably from directly in front of the posts.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: tayto on February 16, 2007, 02:40:08 PM
Yes they do, but they're obviously not rugby fans. Ah least in football every player can kick to some degree, the roar when the most skillfull player in rugby kicks the ball off the pitch say s it all. well done, you hit the sideline. Dropgoals are treated like they're an amazing display of skill, and they're invariably from directly in front of the posts.

You have tried kicking a rugby ball I presume. It's a lot more difficult than kicking an O'Neills.

At the end of the day I've had non GAA people say to me "what's so skillful about gaelic football? All they do is run around, throw the ball at each other and most of the time they can't even kick it over a bar from 30 yards away". Of course you have to explain to them the finer points.

There's a skill in all sports so it'd be churlish to say there's none in rugby. Try telling a New Zealander that there's no skill in rugby.

balladmaker

QuoteYou have tried kicking a rugby ball I presume. It's a lot more difficult than kicking an O'Neills.

Aaaheemmmm......there was a charity event a few years back which pitted Oisin McConville, I believe it was, against David Humphries in a kicking competition.

McConville kicked the oval ball over the bar all day.....however, Humphries reportedly hit so many grass cutters with the O'Neill's ball, it wasn't funny anymore.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: balladmaker on February 16, 2007, 03:00:24 PM
QuoteYou have tried kicking a rugby ball I presume. It's a lot more difficult than kicking an O'Neills.

Aaaheemmmm......there was a charity event a few years back which pitted Oisin McConville, I believe it was, against David Humphries in a kicking competition.

McConville kicked the oval ball over the bar all day.....however, Humphries reportedly hit so many grass cutters with the O'Neill's ball, it wasn't funny anymore.

didnt Maurice fitz beat the best of the rest in the world from US Football, Aussie rules, rugby etc etc some 10 - 15 years ago in australia in some kind of world championship best kicker in the world comp?

SlimShady

kicking a rugby ball is a piece of piss.

mannix

brute force is the biggest skill,ronan ogara would be the most skillfull man on the team only because of his kicking ability. American football is similar in the respect that only the quarter back and receivers have any real skills, the rest are just fat lumps that hit each other and jump around like kids when they manage to get to the quarter back (who is too busy trying to pick a spot to aim the pass).
Gaelic football has some degree of skill, 30 yard pass with the foot,point from 40 yards with a lad dragging you and then you have some like gooch or ciaran macdonald that do serious tricks,soccer is extremely skillful, pace and control.
Hurling would probably be the most skillful game around because of the speed and distance the ball travels.

Will Hunting

As tayto says there - a game in which the object is to kick the ball out of play is a nonsense. Then they throw the ball back in and the opposition team kick it out. And so it continues until the ball is back on the field and about 10 men fall in a heap!

Each to their own and all that, but I personally don't see the attraction in it.