Benny Coulter

Started by AAAA, July 15, 2009, 02:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 15, 2009, 03:17:04 PM
Quote from: corn02 on July 15, 2009, 03:07:52 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on July 15, 2009, 02:58:16 PM
. He is the top international rules forward every time.

Is he?  ???

You can't say he hasn't played well for Ireland, he does some amount of scoring every series...

Of course I couldn't, the man is a legend and the one saving grace if Down won Sam is that he would get a deserved All-Ireland.

That said, he has not been "the top internation rules forward every time".

BallyhaiseMan

Benny may not average 0-4 or 0-5 from play,But
he normaly chips in with 1-1 or a couple of goals,
He also sets up alot of scores,
he is a game changer who requires extra attention from Backs, as few defenders can cope with his pace,strength and aerial ability one on one.
Hes not the best forward in the country but hes definetely in the top say 8 forwards in the country.

full back

Cracking player
Not many teams in Ireland, if any, wouldnt want him in their forward line

D4S

The point he scored in Enniskillen whilst clearly unfit was brilliant, as was the 1 he scored against Laois on Saturday night in diabolical conditions.  His goal was also a cracker, the way he played Saturday night running up and down the field all night was brilliant to see.  Much better than in the past when we have used him as a target man and he's wasted and out of games for long spells! He seems to be extrememly fit at the minute and hope we can get a massive performance from him again this saturday.  He is a super talent and can have moments of brilliance in matches that are pure class! If we can progress past Wicklow and he has another great game playing the same kind of role, it would be great to see him pitted against tougher opposition and get a bit more credit for how good he really is!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: D4S on July 15, 2009, 03:54:23 PM
The point he scored in Enniskillen whilst clearly unfit was brilliant, as was the 1 he scored against Laois on Saturday night in diabolical conditions.  His goal was also a cracker, the way he played Saturday night running up and down the field all night was brilliant to see.  Much better than in the past when we have used him as a target man and he's wasted and out of games for long spells! He seems to be extrememly fit at the minute and hope we can get a massive performance from him again this saturday.  He is a super talent and can have moments of brilliance in matches that are pure class! If we can progress past Wicklow and he has another great game playing the same kind of role, it would be great to see him pitted against tougher opposition and get a bit more credit for how good he really is!

The point from the sideline on Sat night was unreal, nobody expected him to shoot from that position he was in...

Was brilliant to see him getting on the ball so much there on sat instead of standing up at full forward with his hands by his sides...

His running on Sat was excellent, he was just powering past players with ease

And yes before anyone says we know this was a poor enough Laois team but its just great to see him flying after Enniskillen where he shouldn't have started.

corn02

Quote from: D4S on July 15, 2009, 03:54:23 PM! If we can progress past Wicklow and he has another great game playing the same kind of role, it would be great to see him pitted against tougher opposition and get a bit more credit for how good he really is!

On the other hand he could be nullified by tougher opposition resulting in people thinking he is not s good as once thought.

eireogatron

cracking player but his scores tend to come against weaker sides - moreso because of downs stature over the last decade than his own fault.

Hasnt really been tested consistently against the cream of the countrys defenders to be counted as "top 6" material. did ok against Tyrone last year and was then taken to the cleaners by Ciaran McKeever against Armagh.

I've no doubt as to his ability but as I say, I'm not sure about his scoring considering he isnt facing the greatest opposition. Excellent Compromise Rules footballer.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: corn02 on July 15, 2009, 04:02:39 PM
Quote from: D4S on July 15, 2009, 03:54:23 PM! If we can progress past Wicklow and he has another great game playing the same kind of role, it would be great to see him pitted against tougher opposition and get a bit more credit for how good he really is!

On the other hand he could be nullified by tougher opposition resulting in people thinking he is not s good as once thought.

One bad game doesn't make him a bad footballer though

corn02

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 15, 2009, 04:05:15 PM

Of course it doesn't and I didn't say that.

D4S said against top opposition he could prove how good he was and I said against top opposition he could be destroyed and maybe people would think he is worse than they thought.

D4S

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 15, 2009, 04:05:15 PM

Down have rarely played Coulter in this roving kind of role, always using him as a target man, perhaps this new role will help him to shine, not as easy to double mark a man who his running up and down the field like he did Saturday night and got a couple of cracking scores!!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

illdecide

ONL... get them Red & Black tinted glasses off saan...lol :D :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

nrico2006

I think he is a classy player but agree with Jinxy regarding his poor scoring return points wise.  As mentioned, and by no fault of his, he has hardly been facing the top teams regularly in championship football to see how he would fare.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: illdecide on July 15, 2009, 04:16:03 PM

What you wouldn't have done for someone like Benny to play off a two man full forward line this year.

full back

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 15, 2009, 04:32:56 PM

What you wouldn't have done for someone like Benny to play off a two man full forward line this year.

It wasnt the players that was the problem ONL
It was the system
Both teams totally negated the 2 man FF line

Down have played him in there & on many occasions he was standing with his hands on his hips surrounded by players or starved of the ball

Try again ;)

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: full back on July 15, 2009, 04:36:08 PM
Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 15, 2009, 04:32:56 PM

It wasnt the players that was the problem ONL
It was the system
Both teams totally negated the 2 man FF line

Down have played him in there & on many occasions he was standing with his hands on his hips surrounded by players or starved of the ball

Try again ;)

Which I maligned earlier in the thread

If you read my last post again, very carefully, you will see I said he was playing OFF a two man full forward line of Hughes and McComiskey when he was doing the damage on Sat night.

Have you your specs on FB?? Couple times today your eyesight has let you down, you know what thats a sign of too much??