What's the story with Cavan?

Started by Zulu, February 15, 2009, 05:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Limerick have come as close to winning a provincial title in recent years as say Monaghan, they'd be a match for many a county on their day.

Maguire01

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 18, 2009, 08:36:49 PM
Limerick have come as close to winning a provincial title in recent years as say Monaghan
Maybe, but they're playing in Munster, not Ulster. They'll most likely compete a Munster final this year again, but they won't have to beat Derry and then Tyrone or Armagh to get there.

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 18, 2009, 08:36:49 PM
they'd be a match for many a county on their day.
You could say that about most teams.

Zulu

The fact that they are in Munster doesn't diminish their abilities and I reckon there are only 10 teams that are definately better than Limerick, though there are another 5 or 6 you could argue all day about. Anyway, Limericks success raises seriuos questions about what is happening in Cavan, as does Wexfords, Longford's, Tipp's and Waterford's relative success.

BallyhaiseMan

Zulu
any chance of putting that knowledge and coaching to good use and coming up here to help?  :P

Zulu

:D :D funnily enough I'm hoping to go to Ulster for a few weeks to check out what the various counties are doing so i might be in a position to compare Cavan with the rest of Ulster. Ill let you know what I find out if my trip comes to pass.

orangeman

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Zulu on February 18, 2009, 08:52:18 PM
The fact that they are in Munster doesn't diminish their abilities and I reckon there are only 10 teams that are definately better than Limerick, though there are another 5 or 6 you could argue all day about. Anyway, Limericks success raises seriuos questions about what is happening in Cavan, as does Wexfords, Longford's, Tipp's and Waterford's relative success.

Balderdash.

Kerry
Tyrone
Dublin
Cork
Galway
Mayo
Wexford
Armagh
Derry
Down
Monaghan
Donegal
Laois
Fermanagh

Theres 14 for starters. Limerick are distinctly behind these teams.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Zulu

You mustn't watch much football if you think that to be the case, of the teams you mentioned Laois, Down, Wexford and Fermanagh are debateable which is what i said. You have 10 definites a few more that are of similar standard which you could argue about all day but Limerick are of a similar standard to the above four and better than many more.

whiskeysteve

dont worry i watch plenty of football.

Fermanagh got to an ulster final last year beating national league champions along the way
Down put the eventual all ireland winners out of their province
Wexford got to an all ireland semi
Laois, well they werent great i suppose.

still. tell me how limerick matched up to the first 3.

you musn't watch much football suuur
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Zulu

Wexford were 13 points down to Meath in the second half of their game and only beat them after Meath took off some of their best players, Limerick hammered Meath. Down were subsequently hammered by Wexford and Kildare beat both Fermanagh and Limerick by similar amounts, in fact they beat Fermanagh by more if memory serves me. Down are currently in division 3, Wexford are probably on their way back down and Fermanagh are probably a bottom half division 2 side. Like I said these teams are in that 5 or 6 team group that we can (and now are) arguing about. In my first reference to Limerick I described them as a top 12ish team and I stand by that, there are 10-12 teams definitely better than them another 4-6 in or around the same standard but Limerick certainly have as much claim to a position between 12 and 16 as any of the teams you have mentioned. And they are improving by the way, Limerick have started to unearth a few forwards and now that they have they'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Onlooker

I think that Limerick have underrated by a lot of followers for the last few years, but I would not see them as being as good as Louth, Kildare or Westmeath to add to the teams mentioned by whiskeysteve.  Neither is it certain that they will be in the Munster Final this year.  I am not sure that they will repeat the very good performances of last year's Championship against Cork or Meath.

Zulu

I would rate them higher than Louth myself and of similar standard to Westmeath or Kildare, like I said there are 10-12 teams out on their own and maybe another 10 teams definitely in the 22-32 range, Limerick reside in the 12-22 range and IMO are in the higher end of that bracket but you'd get little consensus about the correct position of each of those teams. Limerick are not rated by some not because of their record but because they aren't a traditional power, I'd wager if Down or Meath had Limericks record over the past 3-4 years they'd be given more credit. Remember Cork need two late goals to beat Limerick in last years Munster championship and Cork are many peoples outsid etip to win Sam next year.

BallyhaiseMan

The way i see it
Top 2 Kerry/ Tyrone

next group Armagh, Dublin,Galway,Cork

Next: Monaghan,Derry,Mayo,Donegal,Wexford

Then Laois, Down,Fermanagh,Kildare

Limerick would be on the fringes of the above group.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 19, 2009, 12:43:03 AM
The way i see it
Top 2 Kerry/ Tyrone

next group Armagh, Dublin,Galway,Cork

Next: Monaghan,Derry,Mayo,Donegal,Wexford

Then Laois, Down,Fermanagh,Kildare

Limerick would be on the fringes of the above group.
based on the last couple of years performances I wouldnt say Zulu is too far wrong
whatever about the placing of teams in BH's levels above (that I am not in complete agreement with)
I would see Limerick at the same level as Laois, down, fermanagh and the one man kildare show
ergo- effectively only 10 teams better than limerick.

cavan4ever

This link was posted on the Cavan Thread by LackenLegend and is a good read.

http://www.anglocelt.ie/articles/2/36258