CPA (Club Players Association)

Started by ck, October 18, 2016, 12:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

I hear young Dermot to be the new CEO of the GPA.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mouview

RTE headline says it's some lad called Early. Never heard of him myself...

Syferus

rrhf

I hope he is there to break the GPA up. No need for it.

Rossfan

He's  not and they're here to stay.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Rossfan on January 17, 2017, 09:30:27 AM
He's  not and they're here to stay.
At least you have more reason to be an apologist for them now.

Rossfan

As I said before I'm not a member or supporter of them and I'm certainly not apologising for them.
Why would they need an "Apologist"anyway?

magpie seanie

Because lots of people don't agree with them or trust them. But you knew that.

Zulu

That's not being an apologist, that's pointing out that there is a lot of misinformed unfair criticism by a lot of people who wouldn't give them credit no matter what they did, but you knew that.

What exactly have the GPA done in the last two years that is notably objectionable? Have the done any good things in the past two years?

Rossfan

I think it's something in the water round Shliigo Zulu. ::)
Or else all that heading the ball.
The paranoia is most amusing.

screenexile

Quote from: Zulu on January 17, 2017, 11:34:05 AM
That's not being an apologist, that's pointing out that there is a lot of misinformed unfair criticism by a lot of people who wouldn't give them credit no matter what they did, but you knew that.

What exactly have the GPA done in the last two years that is notably objectionable? Have the done any good things in the past two years?

Taken money from the GAA that could be used to supplement the player Injury scheme for all players.

Zulu

Has GAA money been used on things other than the injury fund and if so, are those other things also objectionable? Are the GAA now broke and unable to put money into the injury fund? If our injury fund doesn't cover our players adequately then should we all not pay a bit more in to have one that does?

screenexile

Quote from: Zulu on January 17, 2017, 01:04:48 PM
Has GAA money been used on things other than the injury fund and if so, are those other things also objectionable? Are the GAA now broke and unable to put money into the injury fund? If our injury fund doesn't cover our players adequately then should we all not pay a bit more in to have one that does?

1. The GPA get €5m a year and we don't know how it is spent

2. The Injury scheme has a huge shortfall and ordinary small clubs that are struggling to keep going are getting nailed with higher indemnity and injury premiums

The GAA seem more interested in capital projects and the GPA than they are in the Club player and this is patently wrong. I agree at the time the GPA was required but it's turned into something more sinister since they achieved their original goals!!

Zulu

1. I think we have a fair idea of how it's spent

- The current mileage rate of just under 42 pence is being increased to over 54 pence with a pot of just over £1m being provided annually for the new overall nutrition allowance for players

- Under the scheme, some £167,000 will be available annually to deal with what is termed "surgical interventions" for former players.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gaelic-games/36887737

2. I'd favour providing more support for player's injury schemes but getting an extra £10 per year from all playing members would generate a couple of million without breaking anyone financially. There's also money there with or without the GPA funding so if it's required then why don't county boards push for this extra support?

3. Capital projects are vital, even if some have dubious merit. However, ground developments like PUC in Cork are heavily linked to the rugby world cup so the GAA got significant government investment for that.

Using words like 'sinister' in reference to the GPA just underlines the unfounded hyperbole that lads too frequently descend into when discussing the GPA.

magpie seanie

So what is the Sports Council money for? Why are Intercounty players are getting a 28.5% increase in their mileage - I thought the "additional expenses" from the Sports Council was supposed to cover their requirements?

Or is it a grant?