Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Great to see Donnach finally give the county a go
He will be a strong player for Down in 23
Training well and lots attending from what I'm hearing
We are the new Armagh. The fittest team in Ireland in January. I'm not complaining mind you

Mark leaving was a shock to most. He notified the Chair last week from what I'm told. Personal reason from what I'm told

downtothecore

Good to hear the down set up are doing the right things and a good committed squad on board. We have been the whipping boys for too long...

Truth hurts

Big news from convention last night, The East and South Down board stay. That is the power of the clubs, great news and I hope that reserve and u15 football are given back to these boards.
Reserve football has got worse since all county.

toby47

Quote from: Smurfy123 on December 14, 2022, 10:24:34 PM
We are the new Armagh. The fittest team in Ireland in January. I'm not complaining mind you

Mark leaving was a shock to most. He notified the Chair last week from what I'm told. Personal reason from what I'm told

Ah lots of teams are doing the exact same. I would be surprised if any team has done more than Derry at this stage, Gallagher has them in the trenches again, mad training schedule. Don't be thinking Down are doing more than anyone else, it's the way county football is now.

Truth hurts

Quote from: toby47 on December 15, 2022, 02:16:09 PM

Ah lots of teams are doing the exact same. I would be surprised if any team has done more than Derry at this stage, Gallagher has them in the trenches again, mad training schedule. Don't be thinking Down are doing more than anyone else, it's the way county football is now.

Elite athletes train that way, intercounty footballers are elite athletes.
Club football is moving in that direction as well, with players now being as physically fit as county players were 20 years ago. Everyone tries to stay one step ahead and get an advantage. The majority of teams, with the exception of Kilcoo, are well into a SandC winter programme in preparation for the upcoming season. You are miles behind if your club is not doing anything at all. Dundrum is currently putting in a strong preseason effort, but I'd be surprised if they made it out of division 4 next season. And that's not a criticism of the players; it's just a reflection of the four relegated teams' ambition to return. Due to the strong u17s they had this season, Bosco and Attical will be favourites..
If a junior club is training that way then what is a division 1 club doing?

befair

Quote from: Truth hurts on December 15, 2022, 02:50:55 PM
Quote from: toby47 on December 15, 2022, 02:16:09 PM

Club football is moving in that direction as well, with players now being as physically fit as county players were 20 years ago. Everyone tries to stay one step ahead and get an advantage. The majority of teams, with the exception of Kilcoo, are well into a SandC winter programme in preparation for the upcoming season. You are miles behind if your club is not doing anything at all. Dundrum is currently putting in a strong preseason effort, but I'd be surprised if they made it out of division 4 next season. And that's not a criticism of the players; it's just a reflection of the four relegated teams' ambition to return. Due to the strong u17s they had this season, Bosco and Attical will be favourites..
We are running to stand still; football is a hobby, but the time commitments are making it v difficult for e.g. a man with a family, or a young lad wnating to travel and make a career. This is how we lose out to soccer

RadioGAAGAA

Ah lots of teams are doing the exact same. I would be surprised if any team has done more than Derry at this stage, Gallagher has them in the trenches again, mad

To be honest, much of it is because the coaches don't know shite about coaching skills so instead of upskilling the players just waste their enthusiasm running around beaches.

Looks like their fees are justified to the clubs based on all this training. Yet invariably the teams will stand or fall.... And by that I mean fall... based on their (in)ability to handle or pass a ball.
i usse an speelchekor

charlieTully

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 15, 2022, 09:00:20 PM

Ah lots of teams are doing the exact same. I would be surprised if any team has done more than Derry at this stage, Gallagher has them in the trenches again, mad

To be honest, much of it is because the coaches don't know shite about coaching skills so instead of upskilling the players just waste their enthusiasm running around beaches.

Looks like their fees are justified to the clubs based on all this training. Yet invariably the teams will stand or fall.... And by that I mean fall... based on their (in)ability to handle or pass a ball.

Surely the skills should be learnt long before senior level.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: charlieTully on December 15, 2022, 10:42:38 PM

Surely the skills should be learnt long before senior level.

Do elite athletes stop practicing/improving the basic skills of any sport when they reach adult competition?

Smurfy123

What club in Down looses players to soccer because they train to much?

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Smurfy123 on December 16, 2022, 05:56:28 AM

Ballykinlar did. That's why Truth Hurts spends so much time in chip shops!

redandblackareback

Quote from: Smurfy123 on December 16, 2022, 05:56:28 AM

The most high profile player is surely Mc Govern of Ballyholland?????

Targetman

Pete Mc Grath appointed manager of Aghagallon

supersub

Anyone who thinks clubs or counties are 'just running' in this day and age need their head checked.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: supersub on December 17, 2022, 01:22:33 PM
Anyone who thinks clubs or counties are 'just running' in this day and age need their head checked.

Of course its not "just running". I never said it was.

It'll be a complete strength and conditioning scheme which won't matter a damn as the players can't kick a ball accurately over 30m.
i usse an speelchekor